F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Damage to bumper (Individual Color) question
proTUNING Freaks

04-08-2018, 12:34 AM   #1
scofflaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32

Damage to bumper (Individual Color) question

So I was rear ended tonight in my Tanzanite Blue 440.

What have been your experiences with getting the best repair on an individual color?

It's mostly on the rear bumper and splitter. The vehicle/driver that hit me belongs to the city and I'm afraid they're going to pull some BS and say they'll only pay if some repair shop authorized by them does the work.
      04-08-2018, 02:04 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofflaw View Post

What have been your experiences with getting the best repair on an individual color?

It's mostly on the rear bumper and splitter. The vehicle/driver that hit me belongs to the city and I'm afraid they're going to pull some BS and say they'll only pay if some repair shop authorized by them does the work.
Have your Insurance pay for it where you want and they will sue city (as they are usually self insured).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
speed608
Private First Class
Malawi
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Quote:

I had my 2,000km old Tanzanite Blue keyed by the rear quarter panel and my local paint shop managed to match the colour spot on.So a good paint shop should be able to match the full of flakes Tanzanite Blue.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I had my bumper painted with really good results. I had a recommendation from both the local BMW shop plus a friends auto repair shop that works on high end cars. The body shop did a really nice job.
I was told by the paint shop that a plastic bumper always has a slight colour difference then a metal body panel on a brand new car. They said they can get a virtual perfect colour match and it will be as close as the what came out of the factory. I don't know if he was telling me a line of bullshit about painted plastic vs painted metal...but the finished product looked perfect to me (and I am pretty picky about my car).
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #5
scofflaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32

Thanks. First estimate from BMW repair shop recommended repairing the rear bumper instead of replacing it. On a brand new vehicle. I'm not having that.
      04-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #6
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

If the damage is near the toe hook cover pull the cover off & snap the tie that holds it on, new bumper will be ordered.

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks. First estimate from BMW repair shop recommended repairing the rear bumper instead of replacing it. On a brand new vehicle. I'm not having that.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0