E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Possibly a Stupid Question

06-19-2018, 05:14 AM   #1
McLeanSC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe Sport

Possibly a Stupid Question

So either the rear main seal has gone or my oil pan gasket has went. Got pools of oil wherever I sit the car for a few minutes.
It has 96,000 miles on it and I intend on keeping it a long long time, so either way both are getting replaced.
I also have RB inlets and outlets (RHD model) to go on. Macht Schnell catless downpipes and I want to replace all the vac lines.

So my possibly stupid question is this: Instead of dropping the subframe for the oil pan, removing the tranny for the rear oil seal and the PITA it'll be for the inlets/outlets to be done in situ, would it be easier/cheaper if I removed the engine to do all the work?

I just figure one of two things:
1) If I try it, it'll save me rolling about under the car for weeks
2) If I pay my mechanic (most likely) my friends and I can get the engine out and to him, I think it'd be cheaper for him to do all the work than each job in situ individually?

Opinions? Cheers guys
Appreciate 0