E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help - Not Your Typical Misfire

06-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
Indye92
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '01 M Roadster

Help - Not Your Typical Misfire

I have been dealing with a misfire that I have been unable to diagnose for a few weeks and has relegated my car being parked in the garage full time. The car is a 2007 e92 335i with 120,000 miles 6 MT. The misfire affects only cylinder 5 and I get the 29D1 code on JB4 every time a few seconds after starting it up. The misfire occurs immediately on startup, hot or cold. The car shakes badly. I have notice black gunk being shot out of the exhaust while the car is idling and misfiring (stained my garage floor). Prior to the misfire occurring, I had the intake manifold off so that I could clean the intake valves. I did so using carb cleaner, a gun brush, a tooth brush, and compressed air. I have now had the intake manifold off 4 times and replaced the gaskets twice, the second time with OEM gaskets from the dealership.

What I have done to resolve the issue without success:
- replaced the injector with a properly coded index 12. Also replaced the retainer clip
- replace the spark plug and swapped spark plugs around to different banks (the spark plugs in the car when the issue began had less than 1,000 miles on them and were gaped correctly). The code didn't move with the plugs.
- moved the coils around multiple times to different banks (code didnt follow the coils)
- checked the MOSFETS in the DME but they are fine
- The valves have been cleaned (just prior to issue occurring)
- Vanos solenoids were just replaced

Car is FBO with the modifications done a month prior to issue first occurring

When I remove the spark plugs from cylinder 5 it is dirty, but not oily, and smells a bit like gas. The original injector in cylinder 5 also had black build up on it when I removed it. I then replaced it, put in the brand new injector ran the car a couple miles but the misfire continued, so I pulled the new injector and noticed some black build up on it. New retaining clip and back in it went.

One other thing, when I originally put the intake manifold back on after cleaning the valves, I accidentally pinched one of the 02 sensor wires causing it to short and blow a fuse in the DME. I soldered the 02 sensor wires back together and replaced the fuse and all was good for about 50 miles until the persistent cylinder 5 misfire began. Could I have damaged something in the DME or the 02 sensor? Would that damage cause only 1 cylinder to misfire? Could a cracked valve cover cause a misfire on 1 cylinder?

The HPFP was replaced under warranty by previous owner about 20k ago I believe. Oil filter housing gasket has 1,000 miles on it.

Please, for the love of god, someone help me. I love dailying my e30 but I really need the e92 back in my life.

Last edited by Indye92; 06-19-2018 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Swap injector 4 to 5 and see if problem persist? Perhaps that new injector was a dud.

A cracked valve cover can cause misfires. That was my next question.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
Socaln54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535i

Could be:

-Injector (I wouldn't replace one if the other one's are not index 12)
-Cracked Valve cover since you said you just replaced it
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
Indye92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaln54 View Post
Could be:

-Injector (I wouldn't replace one if the other one's are not index 12)
-Cracked Valve cover since you said you just replaced it
First off, thank you for the response.

I have not replaced the valve cover or valve cover gasket recently but it was done by the previous owner. I recently had the intake manifold off, however. I replaced just one injector (index 12) without replacing the others in the bank (index 7) in order to trouble shoot with the thought being I would spent the money and replace all 3 if #5 ended up being the culprit for the misfire. Would replacing just one injector in bank 2 with an index 12 while leaving the others index 7 cause a misfire? I know mixing index numbers is not recommended for long term.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
Socaln54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indye92 View Post
First off, thank you for the response.

I have not replaced the valve cover or valve cover gasket recently but it was done by the previous owner. I recently had the intake manifold off, however. I replaced just one injector (index 12) without replacing the others in the bank (index 7) in order to trouble shoot with the thought being I would spent the money and replace all 3 if #5 ended up being the culprit for the misfire. Would replacing just one injector in bank 2 with an index 12 while leaving the others index 7 cause a misfire? I know mixing index numbers is not recommended for long term.
It's not recommended and I believe even if you code them it might not work properly (heck giving you a code), I can tell you by experience I was getting the same code on bank 5 and I just replaced all of them and code them and the misfire disappeared
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #6
Indye92
Rep

I will throw the other 2 injectors in there, code them, and see what happens. Could a vac leak in PCV system cause a misfire in cylinder 5 and only cylinder 5?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #7
Indye92
Rep

UPDATE: After a month, I finally have the car running. If you have a persistent misfire on cylinder 5, especially after install of an oil catch can, make sure you didn't damage the PCV vent hose on the top of the valve cover. It sits right over cylinder 5 and even a slight vacuum leak there will cause the car to run poorly!
Appreciate 0