BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Driving without the Nannies

08-31-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Driving without the Nannies

When I take all the nannies off. I'm talking no DSC. The car is frankly a bit of a handful. I'm still learning to drive and need to get on a track but the back pops out so easily it is crazy! I have M3 wheels and tires on my car so I have a reasonable amount of rubber. Also the tires break loose in 2 gear (stick). I honestly can't imagine trying to control this car with another 100hp!
Do most of you drive your car with DSC on (Sport +) or off (long push on the DTC button)?

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I:
Get in.
Push clutch in.
Push Start.
Release parking brake.
Hold the DSC button.
Drive off.
Every...time. (OK...winter excluded unless I want to screw around.)
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2018, 03:52 PM   #3
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
For me Sport+ is plenty for normal street driving, I save dsc off for track/controlled environments.

In the right conditions you can get pretty sideways even in comfort mode if you really give it the beans. Regardless of what mode you drive in it all comes down to being smooth on the steering and learning to modulate the throttle.

The M2 is quite easy to control at the limit but I personally don’t see the need to put other people/drivers at risk just to get the back end out on public roads.
      08-31-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arquitecto View Post
For me Sport+ is plenty for normal street driving, I save dsc off for track/controlled environments.

In the right conditions you can get pretty sideways even in comfort mode if you really give it the beans. Regardless of what mode you drive in it all comes down to being smooth on the steering and learning to modulate the throttle.

The M2 is quite easy to control at the limit but I personally don’t see the need to put other people/drivers at risk just to get the back end out on public roads.
One of the reasons for not going with Sport+ is because I want to become/stay familiar with the car for track driving (DSC off). The throttle response is so much different. Perhaps it's not that big of a deal. I know it makes me pay more attention if I want to accelerate quickly!

And tell me more about getting pretty sideways in comfort mode...it seems like you'd have to doing something pretty nuts to get that to happen.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
matty_f
on restriction from buying more cars
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 18 GT3T, 16 LR4, 67 912

I do both. I think Sport+ really masks what’s going on. It will let you slide a bit, but something is going on inside the cars brain that keeps the slide tame even before the nannies fully intervene.

With DSC off, I agree it breaks loose much more violently and is much harder to catch. My hope was that sport+ would let you counter steer and keep a slide, but I haven’t been able to manage it.

In any case, I drive in both, but with more caution in DSC off.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Don't forget about MDM/Traction Mode, well explained in your Manual.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 04:57 PM   #7
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
One of the reasons for not going with Sport+ is because I want to become/stay familiar with the car for track driving (DSC off). The throttle response is so much different. Perhaps it's not that big of a deal. I know it makes me pay more attention if I want to accelerate quickly!

And tell me more about getting pretty sideways in comfort mode...it seems like you'd have to doing something pretty nuts to get that to happen.
DSC off uses the “sport” throttle so you can use that instead of the more sensitive sport + and get the same throttle feel.

Haha, it was on a wet track at the performance center. Unfamiliarity with how early the M2 develops max torque combined with accelerating out of a tight hairpin turn over a hill. Once the car went light at the top of the hill I was looking out the passenger window. easily controlled and a lot of fun since it was on track.

Here is a video of that session, second lap you can see a smaller slide coming out of the slow left hander where it was pretty damp still. I don’t have the big slide on film since girlfriend who made this video was in the car at the time and not recording, she promptly asked to get out immediately following said slide

M2guru425.50
///M TOWN22185.50
      08-31-2018, 05:36 PM   #8
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

MattyF. Really agree that Sport+ allows you to drive pretty quick but masks what is really going on. The M2 is super raw with everything off. Almost like you can go faster with some nannies. You know I was bought up on cars and learnt to pump the brakes when driving on ice. Now with ABS it is so good I wonder if a pro race driver could stop quicker without it on any surface? Cleary it is more fun with out any nannies but are you quicker?

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 06:15 PM   #9
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquitecto View Post
In the right conditions you can get pretty sideways even in comfort mode if you really give it the beans.
Yes you can. I've had the back end break loose several times in Comfort mode, on dry, flat, gravel-free pavement. Coming out of turns, revs high enough in 2nd gear, turbo kicks in, I've had the back end swing out. That was my reminder to respect what 370HP means.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2018, 06:28 PM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
I drive in Sport + exclusively, but I have M4GTS MDM+EPS coded in so it's a completely different experience.

Here's more info for those of you that want it:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1504747
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2018, 08:04 PM   #11
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
The M2 is super raw with everything off. Almost like you can go faster with some nannies.
At a local track, there is a decent bump in the pavement on a straightaway. With nannies on, the light flashes and the car slows briefly. With the nannies off, the car keeps momentum and the top speed at the end of the straight is significantly different. Without doubt, the nannies slow you down (but can keep you safe).
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #12
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
I drive in Sport + exclusively, but I have M4GTS MDM+EPS coded in so it's a completely different experience.

Here's more info for those of you that want it:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1504747
I was going to mention this, but you got there first andrewc89. M4 GTS MDM will allow you to drift quite a bit; the stock US M2 MDM wouldn't even let you use the power to rotate the car in a tight corner I found.

With M4 GTS MDM, I've not found the need to go full DSC off yet on a public road. I do wish Sport+ had the same throttle response to Sport though, because I don't like having to get used to the new behaviour every time I use it!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings

Last edited by Nezil; 09-02-2018 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #13
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Lot's of testosterone here. Short of having a pretty good amount of training by a professional and substantial track experience it is doubtful in the long run you will be well served driving without any of the nannies on. Certainly the public road is not the place to experiment. I drive on track in MDM and there are times where DSC will intervene, I am happy to give up the potential fraction of a second of lap time in exchange for the safety of being able to complete my track day and return home without incident.
Appreciate 5
DrKevM52281.00
Tano376.00
Dabozo635.00
COChris888.50
termigni1081.00
      09-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #14
matty_f
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
MattyF. Really agree that Sport+ allows you to drive pretty quick but masks what is really going on. The M2 is super raw with everything off. Almost like you can go faster with some nannies. You know I was bought up on cars and learnt to pump the brakes when driving on ice. Now with ABS it is so good I wonder if a pro race driver could stop quicker without it on any surface? Cleary it is more fun with out any nannies but are you quicker?
Yeah, it is nice and raw without the nannies and a bit of a handful for me to handle. I bought this car with the intent of learning better control without the computer drivers aides, but honestly my fastest track times have been in sport+, so I’m definitely not there yet. I think I tone it down a bit with DSC off to keep from spinning out.

The abs does make it harder for me to threshold brake. Once the abs kicks in I feel I have to back off a little more to get it to reset. I also think it might interfere with rev match on the manual, but I’m not positive. I might have just been too close to redline for it to match.

I think you’re getting the most stopping power right before abs kicks in. I suppose if a pro was good enough they could stop faster without it. I don’t know about being better on ice though. That sounds really hard to beat the computer on.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 08:47 PM   #15
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Pro drivers benefit from Motorsport ABS systems greatly in terms of tire wear, lap times, and driver focus -

Pro drivers are better than early 2000s abs systems, but not modern
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #16
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
Yeah, it is nice and raw without the nannies and a bit of a handful for me to handle. I bought this car with the intent of learning better control without the computer drivers aides, but honestly my fastest track times have been in sport+, so I’m definitely not there yet. I think I tone it down a bit with DSC off to keep from spinning out.

The abs does make it harder for me to threshold brake. Once the abs kicks in I feel I have to back off a little more to get it to reset. I also think it might interfere with rev match on the manual, but I’m not positive. I might have just been too close to redline for it to match.

I think you’re getting the most stopping power right before abs kicks in. I suppose if a pro was good enough they could stop faster without it. I don’t know about being better on ice though. That sounds really hard to beat the computer on.

When ABS kicks in you should continue to brake harder not back off to reset it in any way. Took the 2 Day M School and Advanced M and they emphasize letting ABS do what it does best and they way to do that is to "live in ABS" on when braking.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 02:40 AM   #17
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Mineral Grey

Quote:
When I take all the nannies off. I'm talking no DSC. The car is frankly a bit of a handful. I'm still learning to drive and need to get on a track but the back pops out so easily it is crazy! I have M3 wheels and tires on my car so I have a reasonable amount of rubber. Also the tires break loose in 2 gear (stick). I honestly can't imagine trying to control this car with another 100hp!
Do most of you drive your car with DSC on (Sport +) or off (long push on the DTC button)?
All M2s have M3 wheels (and all running gear) just slightly narrower tyres. Have you put something else on yours?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #18
matty_f
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
When ABS kicks in you should continue to brake harder not back off to reset it in any way. Took the 2 Day M School and Advanced M and they emphasize letting ABS do what it does best and they way to do that is to "live in ABS" on when braking.
Interesting. I’ll post this one in the track section.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #19
M-Supra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2JZ-M5

Quote:
398/466 at wheels, always DSC completely off, I'm old and learned how to drive without nannies, just takes seat time to learn your limits and car's behavior.

I learned very quickly that you need to anticipate rotation and have extremely quick, cat-like reflexes on counter steer or she will be going backwards before "wtf" crosses your synapses.

Do NOT upshift at full throttle mid sweeper or you will need several hundred yards of clear roadway for a beautiful full lock drift. Go ahead and do this in Sport+ to see how quickly she steps out and how quickly DSC saves you.

The electric LSD in these cars will save you if you drop a deuce in your drawers and abruptly lift off the throttle in a power slide...she will snap back straight almost as if you had DSC on
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #20
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristianS View Post
All M2s have M3 wheels (and all running gear) just slightly narrower tyres. Have you put something else on yours?
Stock M3 Wheels on my M2. Driven stick all my life so can sometimes quick dump into 2nd.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 07:13 PM   #21
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Supra View Post
398/466 at wheels, always DSC completely off, I'm old and learned how to drive without nannies, just takes seat time to learn your limits and car's behavior.

I learned very quickly that you need to anticipate rotation and have extremely quick, cat-like reflexes on counter steer or she will be going backwards before "wtf" crosses your synapses.

Do NOT upshift at full throttle mid sweeper or you will need several hundred yards of clear roadway for a beautiful full lock drift. Go ahead and do this in Sport+ to see how quickly she steps out and how quickly DSC saves you.

The electric LSD in these cars will save you if you drop a deuce in your drawers and abruptly lift off the throttle in a power slide...she will snap back straight almost as if you had DSC on
I'm driving to Atlanta on my next road trip. Love you experience and thinking!!

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #22
M-Supra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2JZ-M5

Quote:
I'm driving to Atlanta on my next road trip. Love you experience and thinking!!
Alert me when you're headed to ATL, I'll take you for a spin in the 1200+hp E39 M5.
Appreciate 0