E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil Filter Housing question...

09-02-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Oil Filter Housing question...

Quick question:

Would you run this OFH shown in my video below?

Long detailed version:

I picked up a used oil filter housing with the thermostat to retrofit a cooler because I currently have no oil cooler.

The housing I purchased was covered in oil residue. Looks like it had been leaking for a while on whatever car it came off of. I freshened up the housing with some silver paint and am getting ready to install, but now I notice there appears to have been a lot of messing with the coolant port.

It looks like the edges of the ramped area have been sanded smoother and there are remnants of rtv(?) all over it. Is this coolant port an area prone to leaks and do you guys think I’m asking for trouble using this housing?

There are also rtv remnants in the channels where the gasket for mounting to the block goes so I now presume based on its being covered with oil residue the last owner had struggled with oil leaks there as well, but those areas do not look altered just needs cleaning up of old RTV.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Only way to find out is to install the parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
mang.vang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i m sport

Now may be a really good time to replace the gasket. My coolant port area looked like that when i installed a new upper radiator hose. Its been 2 weeks and no signs of a leak.
Appreciate 0