BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > My accident, Ugh!

09-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

My accident, Ugh!

I was in the left lane, which is a left turn only lane. Traffic was backed up in the right lane which is for straight and right turns. Her passneger was telling her to switch lanes. So she did so without looking. Pulled into my lane. Hit the rear quarter panel of my car causing me to fishtail and hit the front of my car into the other cars in the right lane. She rear ended the car in front of her and I hit the car in front of that car. So 4 cars total involved. Luckily there was a cop like a minute away to sort everything out. I didn't talk to my insurance yet or process any of this yet. I didn't even look at my car to access the damage.

From the pictures,
-headlight
-bumper
-carbon front winglet
- reflector delete piece
- front and rear wheels
- rear quarter panel
- rear winglet
- whatever that plastic piece on the ground is from
- front and rear tires may have damage to the sidewalls
- the car is fully covered in xpel and ceramic coating
- the Breyer's ice cream I was carrying was melted beyond repair

I ordered this car and paid for it with cash. The lady admitted fault. I have comprehensive but not collision. I don't know if it's irreparably damaged or what. I haven't called my insurance or dealt with it yet. Went to the bar instead.

Of course the lady that hit me was crying and complaining about her groceries, so everyone felt bad for her. I kept silent and just dealt with the situation. I don't have pics of the other two cars involved. The car she hit didn't seem to have any damage, the car I hit had damage to the back bumper. I was the worst out of it.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 09-02-2018 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I'm curious why you don't carry collision on a car like this...any wreck is expensive? As for her groceries I hope you told her to shut the hell up and focus on not being an idiot moving forward in life...good grief. That sucks man, sorry for your loss
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
Soulmate
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Without collision your insurance company is not obligated to do anything. You will have to deal with that lady's insurance company yourself. If you're lucky, your insurance company will send an appraiser to give you an (unbiased) estimate for repairs.

Hopefully, that lady does not decide to change her story after she finds out how much it's going to cost her in increased premiums.

Had the same thing happen to me, I had a 2005 M3 w/o collision (supposedly I chose correctly due to age of car), and it was a major PITA to deal with everything.

But googling afterwards, the rule of thumb is to have collision unless your car is worth 5K or less.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Reminds me of this bit (don't worry Louie has his clothes on)

Yeah, man you never know. This is why I don't have much interest in motorcycles, you can make all the right moves and someone can still hit you.

Sounds like everyone was okay. Sad to see an M2 get whacked like that, especially an LCI MG, but maybe an M2C is in your future now?

Last edited by akkando; 09-02-2018 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulmate View Post
Without collision your insurance company is not obligated to do anything. You will have to deal with that lady's insurance company yourself. If you're lucky, your insurance company will send an appraiser to give you an (unbiased) estimate for repairs.

Hopefully, that lady does not decide to change her story after she finds out how much it's going to cost her in increased premiums.

Had the same thing happen to me, I had a 2005 M3 w/o collision (supposedly I chose correctly due to age of car), and it was a major PITA to deal with everything.

But googling afterwards, the rule of thumb is to have collision unless your car is worth 5K or less.

I mean can't you just get a pretty high deductible so it's cheap for you and you're only out of pocket for things that are "relatively" minor, but not totally boned if catastrophe strikes? I mean that's how I'm rolling right now, I don't mind eating a grand, and in theory if no accident for a short period of time whatever I save on my insurance would cover my out of pocket later, but I don't want to eat 15k in damages.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 09:30 PM   #6
Bimm3rM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Make sure to ask for diminished value
Appreciate 2
      09-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #7
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Man that sucks! But a question...is it common to not get collision on a brand new car for more than 50K?
      09-02-2018, 09:49 PM   #8
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Ok, I'll be the guy that doesn't give you crap for your choices in insurance and simply say - that's sucks. Take a breath. Have a drink. You'll figure out the rest tomorrow.
      09-02-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Yikes, I can't imagine not carrying full coverage insurance on a 50k plus car but after paying my daughters insurance for 3 years I can understand the temptation to save a ton of cash.

Having said that I am sure your car is repairable but the cost won't be pretty. I got T-boned 2 months after getting my 3 series, the best advice I got was to have it fixed at a BMW Certified Collision Center because they will ensure the car is returned to factory specs. The insurance adjuster said it was 9k of damage the BMW collision center found almost 24k of stuff to repair. Car was returned to factory specs and I drove it 170,000 more miles without an issue.
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
      09-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #10
Soulmate
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I mean can't you just get a pretty high deductible so it's cheap for you and you're only out of pocket for things that are "relatively" minor, but not totally boned if catastrophe strikes? I mean that's how I'm rolling right now, I don't mind eating a grand, and in theory if no accident for a short period of time whatever I save on my insurance would cover my out of pocket later, but I don't want to eat 15k in damages.
See pruettfan's post above -the adjuster says 9K, BMW center says 24K; if you don't have collision, good luck getting the other insurance company to pay the 24K.

I did have a 1K deductible. I think that's why I was told I didn't need collision since my car was "only" a 2005. Unfortunately, a 2005 e46 M3 is still worth more than 10K. There is a BIG difference in cost of repairs between cheap parts and OEM parts. My own insurance co. told me my car was worth 13K; the other insurance co. didn't want to total my car and give me full value, so their "valuation" of my car was 18K LOL.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 11:07 PM   #11
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I didn't read all the comments. I went out for drinks haha and probably can't comprehend other comments right now. But I'll answer about the lack of collision insurance. I bought the car with cash, so legally I don't need comprehensive or collision. I have comprehensive because it covers things like weather damage and other stuff I can't stop from happening. I don't have collision because never in my 14 years of driving have I been in an accident that was my fault. So I don't have it because I figured the other person's insurance would cover the damage if it was there fault. Not having collision doesn't make much difference in this circumstance since it was the other persons fault and their insurance will cover it. I have uninsured/underinsured coverage in the event that an at fault driver doesn't have adequate insurance. The only difference having collision would make if to get my car repaired quicker. They would put the repairs on my coverage while the insurance companies argue who is at fault.

Edit: and thank you to the guy that recommended a certified BMW repair center. I will look into it.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 09-02-2018 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 02:19 AM   #12
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Let us know how it all works out, damage looks pretty superficial so hopefully you'll be back on the road soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:37 AM   #13
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

That sucks but WOW how can you not have collision insurance? Boggles the mind...you need it. Don't be cocky about your own abilities anything can happen. Legality or no legality it's a must...

Hope you sort out your car! Anything can happen on the road at any time just be happy you're not hurt.
      09-03-2018, 07:44 AM   #14
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

Definitely this ... Such a beautiful car, so sorry this happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimm3rM4 View Post
Make sure to ask for diminished value
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #15
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

So sorry man. Sucks bad

Insurance.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #16
BOhio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
That sucks but WOW how can you not have collision insurance? Boggles the mind...you need it. Don't be cocky about your own abilities anything can happen. Legality or no legality it's a must...
What sucks is the second-guessing of the forum members who think they know better than the OP how to run his financial affairs. "It's a must"? No, it's not, and the OP has 14 years of history to prove that.

Also, the OP paid cash for his car. And if he paid cash for his house (as some people do, for a FACT), then he doesn't have to carry homeowners' insurance either!

Is he rolling the dice a bit, considering how many uninsured and underinsured drivers are out there? Sure.

In New Hampshire, it is NOT required to have car insurance. Don't believe me? Google it!

OP, sound like you have it covered, literally and figuratively, and sorry about some knucklehead not paying attention and running into your car. I hope it gets repaired to your satisfaction and that you won't even be able to tell that it happened.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #17
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOhio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
What sucks is the second-guessing of the forum members who think they know better than the OP how to run his financial affairs. "It's a must"? No, it's not, and the OP has 14 years of history to prove that.

Also, the OP paid cash for his car. And if he paid cash for his house (as some people do, for a FACT), then he doesn't have to carry homeowners' insurance either!

Is he rolling the dice a bit, considering how many uninsured and underinsured drivers are out there? Sure.

In New Hampshire, it is NOT required to have car insurance. Don't believe me? Google it!

OP, sound like you have it covered, literally and figuratively, and sorry about some knucklehead not paying attention and running into your car. I hope it gets repaired to your satisfaction and that you won't even be able to tell that it happened.
I've been driving for 26 years and consider myself a good driver; and yet I'm never going to be cocky enough to think I cannot cause an accident at some point in my life. People make mistakes...you and I may as well.

If you took a poll of how many BMW owners who drive a car worth more than $30k carry collision insurance I can assure you it's 95% or more. My advice is not unique; it's standard operating procedure.
      09-03-2018, 10:49 AM   #18
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Time to move up .... to the M2CCCCCCCCCCCCcccccccc !!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #19
Diver21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Unfortunate ...

While I concur with the advice to seek out a BMW-certified repair center, if you have a good relationship with your CA, I would get their opinion as well.

When someone backed into my car, I ended up having it repaired elsewhere and was extremely happy.

And, yes, follow up the repair with a diminished value claim.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #20
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Sorry for your loss. You were lucky that the policeman was there. She hit your rear, so her insurance should take care of your loss. I'd advise collision coverage after this though.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #21
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Please use a BMW Certified Collision Center. There are only about 69 of these nationwide and they will repair your car to factory specs. They will also fight for everything necessary with the insurance company to make sure everything is factory new with the repair. Also, don't assume that your local BMW dealer is affiliated with a BMW Certified Collision Center - check it out for yourself online.
      09-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #22
matty_f
on restriction from buying more cars
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 18 GT3T, 16 LR4, 67 912

That sucks. I get not carrying collision. I look at my annual bills and wonder why I pay for it every year.

Just a hunch, but I’m betting this lady doesn’t have insurance and your uninsured motorist is gonna cover you.
Appreciate 0