BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-11-2018, 06:22 AM   #1
T16ole
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

M40i Optional Extras that you’d change in Hindsight

I recently took delivery of a UK M40i.

I chose the following and glad I ticked the box:

M-sport plus package
Pano roof
Merino Tartufo Leather
Acoustic glazing
Folding mirrors
Adaptive Cruise
Heated steering wheel

I ticket apple CarPlay which I regret, it’s largely pointless and the car pretty much does everything it offers anyway and can be added retrospectively

An option that I wish I’d have ticketed is;

The parking package - I had a more primitive version on the 640d, no idea why I didn’t choose it. It’s very stressful in multi story car parks and drive throughs with 21” diamond cut wheels and £350 tyres on each corner.

Last edited by T16ole; 10-11-2018 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

I definitely would not have taken Apple Carplay, for the same reason you mention.
Wireless charging isn't worth it to me either, but I'm ambivalent to it.

But I didn't order mine, and the M40i had everything else I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 06:46 AM   #3
swestland85
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 + F21

Garage List
Same here, don't use carplay, pretty useless. Thats probably the only option I regret, all the others I would spec again. I have the parking pack, 360 camera's are great but still it doesn't give you the exact picture you want. I hit the curb in a garage park with my 21", even the camera's where on. There are so many bells and whistles that go off when its narrow that you can't see everything.
Previous cars: E91 330d High Executive, Sapphire Black | F21 120i M Sport, Sapphire Black | F31 320dA Efficient Dynamics Edition, High Executive, Imperialblue, Luxury Line, Style 392 17" | E90 325i Montego blue, saddelbrown leather, V-style 285 17" rims
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #4
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16ole View Post
I recently took delivery of a UK M40i.

I chose the following and glad I ticked the box:

M-sport plus package
Piano roof
Merino Tartufo Leather
Acoustic glazing
Folding mirrors
Adaptive Cruise

I ticket apple CarPlay which I regret, it’s largely pointless and the car pretty much does everything it offers anyway and can be added retrospectively

An option that I wish I’d have ticketed is;

The parking package - I had a more primitive version on the 640d, no idea why I didn’t choose it. It’s very stressful in multi story car parks and drive throughs with 21” diamond cut wheels and £350 tyres on each corner.
Surround cameras were the first thing I ticked before anything else, had a more basic system on X5 but it made it a must have, as you say it is very useful going through car park barriers using the front camera and a relatively cheap option

Didn't spec CarPlay but read some good things about it so had it coded afterwards, was useful on holiday to pick up English radio but certainly could do without, tried Waze and google nav. but still prefer idrive

Picked DA+ which may have been an extravagance I could have done without but ACC is very useful in restricted speed zones and I like the speed limit sign in dash
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I guess, I'm in the minority but I prefer Apple CarPlay and since my cars are 2017 & 2018 I will not have a yearly renewal cost. Guessing most of you lease b/c after the warranty period the BMW Connected features, real-time traffic, etc. will need to be renewed for a cost, while Apple will be continually updating iOS every year.

Not having the option to purchase a sunroof in the M2 and not missing it would make me think long and hard about ticking that box. I would never check the box for a panoramic sunroof after having had it in my previous X5. The kids complained about the sun when the shade was back and if fully opened and driving at any speed makes a horrendous helicopter sound.

Would never pay for adaptive cruise control as I rarely use cruise control to begin with and when I do, someone inevitability brakes every five seconds.

M Sport package is a must since BMW seems content on messing with the front end of the cars to the point where they lose most of the identifying BMW traits.

I do like the HK and find it sounds much, much better than it did in my E36M3.

Adaptive headlight are nice.

Automatic high beams work surprisingly well.

Cold weather package, especially with leather seats.

Sport seats.

Opinion is still out on blind spot detection.

Acoustic glazing now that sounds interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
T16ole
Private First Class
Rep

Oh see I think the adaptive cruise is absolutely superb.

It takes the stress of out traffic and unlike humans doesn’t loose concerntration.

The only gripe would be that it’s not “adaptive enough” in that I’d like to see it coast more before applying the brakes as opposed to accelerating then immediately braking which is not grate for fuel economy.

The two things I was adamant get getting at the time were both was adaptive LED headlights and adaptive.
cruise. Luckily the icon led’s are standard on the M40i in the UK
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Only option I have doubts about are the adaptive dampers. Call me strange but I can't really tell a difference between the different modes when it comes to the dampers. Everyone seems to think there is a huge difference but I just can't feel it.

Maybe a small difference but tbh I don't know if I could tell in a blind test.

Oh yeah and the display key. But that was part of a package so couldn't opt out of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #8
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh see I think the adaptive cruise is absolutely superb.

It takes the stress of out traffic and unlike humans doesn’t loose concerntration.

The only gripe would be that it’s not “adaptive enough” in that I’d like to see it coast more before applying the brakes as opposed to accelerating then immediately braking which is not grate for fuel economy.

The two things I was adamant get getting at the time were both was adaptive LED headlights and adaptive.
cruise. Luckily the icon led’s are standard on the M40i in the UK
I only use ACC in traffic or those numerous 50mph speed traps on motorways and in eco pro mode, you seem to get some level of coasting in that mode and it easily keeps up with traffic
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuySweden View Post
Only option I have doubts about are the adaptive dampers. Call me strange but I can't really tell a difference between the different modes when it comes to the dampers. Everyone seems to think there is a huge difference but I just can't feel it.

Maybe a small difference but tbh I don't know if I could tell in a blind test.

Oh yeah and the display key. But that was part of a package so couldn't opt out of it.
The adaptive M suspension does a whole lot, varying the damper rates in realtime to deal with cornering, bumps, roll, lean, etc. And it does that within any of the driving modes. My summary impression would be that it softens the default ride until you do something that requires it to firm up. The standard suspension is always at a constant level of damping, and to me it that default ride feels firmer *all* the time.

The only M40i test drives I could get all had standard suspension, and I thought it was fine. But I ordered mine with adaptive, and when I finally got the car it felt a lot more comfortable and smooth.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #10
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

Things I don't use - Apple CarPlay, gesture control (i know it's not an option, but I never even tried it), ACC Stop and Go, and wireless charger (current phone doesn't support it, will be upgrading to a compatible phone soon). I have every other option and I use them all.
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
The adaptive M suspension does a whole lot, varying the damper rates in realtime to deal with cornering, bumps, roll, lean, etc. And it does that within any of the driving modes. My summary impression would be that it softens the default ride until you do something that requires it to firm up. The standard suspension is always at a constant level of damping, and to me it that default ride feels firmer *all* the time.

The only M40i test drives I could get all had standard suspension, and I thought it was fine. But I ordered mine with adaptive, and when I finally got the car it felt a lot more comfortable and smooth.
My understanding is slightly different. I thought when in Sport/Sport+ modes the Adaptive supension is permanently on and it's only when you press the Adaptive button that you go into "Adaptive" mode - that's when the car adjusts to your driving style etc. I don't think you can be both in Sport/Sport+ mode and Adaptive mode. Happy to be corrected! BMW don't make it easy to understand.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post

I haven't tried an m40i with regular suspension so you are correct in that there could be a big difference. I was under the impression there should be a big difference between the different drive modes?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #13
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i

A little overpriced but I'm happy that I took the ambient air fragrance, no more messy car fresheners in sight!
Also the adaptive suspension is awesome!
Adaptive led is awesome but I do not have the anti dazzle in NA.
I would've loves the merino leather with cooling seats but they do not come available for the x3...

I do regret a little the piano black, it gets scratched just by looking at it...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #14
T16ole
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
My understanding is slightly different. I thought when in Sport/Sport+ modes the Adaptive supension is permanently on and it's only when you press the Adaptive button that you go into "Adaptive" mode - that's when the car adjusts to your driving style etc. I don't think you can be both in Sport/Sport+ mode and Adaptive mode. Happy to be corrected! BMW don't make it easy to understand.
That’s not how I understand it.

The adaptive suspension isn’t on or off, it’s either in sport or comfort.

The different drive modes such as suspension, engine, steering etc are individually configurable in the individual mode of each driving mode.

Adaptive is a way of the car choosing which mode it believes you want based on your driving inputs, road surfaces & upcoming roads based on the sat nav.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #15
frank23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla Model Y

Quote:

The different drive modes such as suspension, engine, steering etc are individually configurable in the individual mode of each driving mode.

Adaptive is a way of the car choosing which mode it believes you want based on your driving inputs, road surfaces & upcoming roads based on the sat nav.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #16
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I think I ordered every option except the spare tire. I would do it all the same, again. I really miss the "kick to open" trunk feature, but with the trailer hitch it just won't work.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #17
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post

That's the way I understand it as well, 2 fixed settings of comfort or sport, I don't believe there is any adaption in each mode other than in comfort the shocks are more compliant when going over bumps and pot holes and just as you say it switches between the 2 in adaptive mode setting

There is a more advanced system coming in the new G20 I believe
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #18
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

My car is a standard spec, apart from sun protection glass. The car comes with a lot more as standard as a US spec car, so there’s not really much that I’d like, other than 21” wheels.

Before I got the car, I spec’d one up as I was going to factory order one, and I can honestly say that I’m happy living without all the options I was going to get. Apart from the 21” wheels!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #19
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

There is a lot of confusion about adaptive, which isn't helped by the owner's manual in any way. If you look at page 232 in the US owner's manual, and then another section (page 135) that talks about Driving Dynamics control, you'll see they throw around the word adaptive a bunch of ways. The three ways are:

1) "adaptive driving dynamics control", which is just one of the eco/comfort/sport/sport+/adaptive settings you can choose for driving dynamics control. This affects throttle response, shifting, steering, suspension etc...

2) "adaptive chassis", which are the fixed damper tuning modes that go along with each of the driving dynamics control modes in #1.

3) "adaptive M chassis", which is the optional system that adjusts damping rate in realtime, hundreds of times a second, based on road conditions and driving inputs. This behavior is on top of the adaptive chassis, and is going to adjust damping on top of the default behavior of whatever driving mode you have chosen, regardless of what driving mode you have chosen.

I attached a picture of page 232, which isn't really helpful if you take the time to read the two sections and compare what is said (almost identical), but it does make a distinction between the standard adaptive chassis and the adaptive M chassis. So that's at least some marginally useful information from BMW acknowledging that they are two different things.

BMW's websites are similarly unhelpful, in that they have used multiple "marketing" names for various suspension modes and options, to the point where it's like a word salad now in 2018. Best info I could find was from an older brochure for my previous Z4, which said it like this:

Standard dynamic damping (what BMW is now calling "adaptive chassis") which "adapts shock absorber settings to your mood, for the desired level of firmness."

Adaptive M suspension - "electronically controlled shock absorbers that constantly adjust to road conditions as well as driving style within milliseconds, guaranteeing optimal road contact in every situation, the best possible traction and even more agile handling"

Finally, at one time a couple years ago, we owned several 4-series coupes and grand coupes in my family, and I got to experience three different suspension flavors: 1) what I'd call standard suspension, which tweaks dampers based on eco/comfort/sport/sport+, 2) M-sport suspension, which does the same as #1 but is overall stiffer, lower, and more sporting, and 3) adaptive M suspension which is the same as #2 but also make adjustments in realtime, responding to driving inputs and road conditions.

Hope this helps! Good luck trying to make better sense of it than this. Best I can tell you is based on experience with various BMWs over the years, and an ongoing headache over their complicated marketing language. I would bet money that most people don't bother with the adaptive M suspension option because nobody in sales or marketing can adequately describe what it is, thus, nobody can make a case for it unless they have experienced it for themselves. Classic BMW marketing, I'd say. They have a lot of fancy features on their cars that they just can't explain to customers in the real world.
Attached Images

Last edited by skier219; 10-11-2018 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0