E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Alignment Issue - Any ideas?

07-11-2008, 03:09 AM   #1
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Manual

Alignment Issue - Any ideas?

Recently put 4 brand new michelin's on the car because the front right inside was wearing fast. Knew the alignment was off because of the wear pattern so took it to get aligned and much to my dismay they said the front right camber was negative ALOT. Then they proceeded to tell me there is no adjustment for the camber on the front of the e90 and that 'probably' it was a bent knuckle. They then qouted me the price of replacing the bent knuckle but were not 100% if it was that or possibly a bent subframe!!! Bought the car at 17k and knew the alignment was off but Carfax was clean and really no other signs of a problem, so just figured I would get it aligned on the next set of tires.

So some questions:

Is it true there is no way to align the front camber?

If so, would the culprit most likely be the knuckle (the control rod and everything else looks good)?

Have you ever heard of something getting jacked like this from hitting pothole?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

there is an adjustment...cambers not a wear angle...it may give you a slight wear on either the inner edge or outter edge of the tire depending on negative or posative camber but your toe being off is typically the more prevalent wearing problem..but its def adjustable its just a PITA cause the alignment pin needs to be drilled out and then it can be adjusted...

my advice is take it to a better alignment shop whos not trying to bone you over...
Appreciate 0