BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #1
weez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Competition

Executive vs Driving Asst Plus Package

Ideally I'd have both, but if the price is right I don't think lack of either is a deal breaker for me. It seems a lot of M40is out there have one or the other and not both.
If you could only have one of the two packages, which would it be and why? Thanks.
Appreciate 1
Hendoo52.50
      12-01-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i 2018 & X128i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez View Post
Ideally I'd have both, but if the price is right I don't think lack of either is a deal breaker for me. It seems a lot of M40is out there have one or the other and not both.
If you could only have one of the two packages, which would it be and why? Thanks.
I have Executive, I think the Driving Asst. Plus just adds the auto steering and adaptive cruise control. Which I felt like I wouldn't use either.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Tough choice. I love both. Exec gives me the great dynamic dash & surround view. I love the active cruise control with Driving Asst+. Plus, I get annoyed when steering wheel just vibrates. Come to appreciate the lake keep.

It's close to end of the year. Get them to give you a better deal. ;-)
Appreciate 1
shoptb177.50
      12-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Tough choice. I love both. Exec gives me the great dynamic dash & surround view. I love the active cruise control with Driving Asst+. Plus, I get annoyed when steering wheel just vibrates. Come to appreciate the lake keep.

It's close to end of the year. Get them to give you a better deal. ;-)
I think that comes with normal driving asst package not the plus. Lane assist vs lane keep
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
weez
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitz View Post
I think that comes with normal driving asst package not the plus. Lane assist vs lane keep
I believe driving asst plus includes the normal driving asst package as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
I think the best strategy is to figure out the options you want and then don't settle for less.

To me that would come down to surround view or active cruise control. Nether of these can be added after you buy the car and for me, at least, they are prime options. Some people could care less about surround or active cruise but we wanted them.

I don't see why eliminating one would get you a better deal other than lowering the price by the amount of the option you drop.

The dealer is going to give an extra "good" deal based on what he needs to move to meet some goal, like a monthly or quarterly goal or whatever. But you have to push the dealer a bit sometimes to make him go the extra mile on price.

If you don't get what you want for a price you think makes sense you should walk out.

Of course after walking out if the dealer didn't call me back with a better deal I would not be ashamed to go back to the dealer later if I was really willing to give up one of those options because I was just trying to see how much I could get.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
weez
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
I think the best strategy is to figure out the options you want and then don't settle for less.

To me that would come down to surround view or active cruise control. Nether of these can be added after you buy the car and for me, at least, they are prime options. Some people could care less about surround or active cruise but we wanted them.

I don't see why eliminating one would get you a better deal other than lowering the price by the amount of the option you drop.

The dealer is going to give an extra "good" deal based on what he needs to move to meet some goal, like a monthly or quarterly goal or whatever. But you have to push the dealer a bit sometimes to make him go the extra mile on price.

If you don't get what you want for a price you think makes sense you should walk out.

Of course after walking out if the dealer didn't call me back with a better deal I would not be ashamed to go back to the dealer later if I was really willing to give up one of those options because I was just trying to see how much I could get.
I get what you're saying, but I've never had either option in any car so I'm trying to get input from others as to what might be more useful. Like I said, I'd prefer both but that comes at a cost....so not creeping up the MSRP with every option is ideal for me. Also, it seems most cars have one or the other to keep the MSRP around $64K. If it's a wash between both options (I guess thats for me to decide with the help of this forum), I'm going with the cheapest car from the dealership that offers the best price.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
Bob in IL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Does Parking Assistant Plus (is this the self parking feature?) only come with the Executive package?

I don't think it's something that I'd use much but trying to understand the various packages/features. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #9
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

When I was shopping for my vehicle both are a must for me. Driving assistant plus makes the package worth every penny whenever I sit in traffic of LA.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #10
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

if you like leather seat and will pay for it as a stand along option, i think it's better to get the Exec package since it gives it to you for free as part of the package. Use the Build your car option on BMW website to price out several combination of options. I did that and ended up ordering a fully loaded car except M Differential and Wireless charging which i don't need.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but I've never had either option in any car so I'm trying to get input from others as to what might be more useful. .
I just wanted the latest tech when we bought ours, so of course I got both. But now that I have HUD, surround display and adaptive cruise I wouldn't get a car without them.

And the wireless charging also includes an LTE booster for inside the car so that your phone works inside the car in low signal areas.

One of the problems you run into is that dealers sometimes just don't have cars with the options you want to try out so if you think you want them you just have to go for it...
Appreciate 1
BillD1953234.50
      12-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #12
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

If you spend a lot of time in stop-and-go freeway traffic, the Active Cruise Control in DA+ will save your mind.

On the other hand, the exec pkg is very nice, with the dynamic digital instrument cluster, leather seating, 3D surround view, and adaptive full LED lights (among other things).

Get both if you can. However, if you absolutely, positively must choose only one, get DA+ if you spend a lot of time in freeway stop-and-go traffic. Otherwise, exec pkg.
Appreciate 1
BillD1953234.50
      12-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #13
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
Does Parking Assistant Plus (is this the self parking feature?) only come with the Executive package?

I don't think it's something that I'd use much but trying to understand the various packages/features. Thanks.
No, it's in two packages (which are mutually exclusive): the Executive Package and the Parking Assistance Package.

Since you're in the US: if you want to understand the packages, see the X3 Pricing Guide (not the more obvious buying guide) in this forum's stickies. Make sure you choose the correct one, though (sDrive vs xDrive).
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #14
azf100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
This isnt the answer you're looking for, but having both for the last year, I cant imagine not having one or the other.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #15
Bob in IL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
No, it's in two packages (which are mutually exclusive): the Executive Package and the Parking Assistance Package.

Since you're in the US: if you want to understand the packages, see the X3 Pricing Guide (not the more obvious buying guide) in this forum's stickies. Make sure you choose the correct one, though (sDrive vs xDrive).
Thanks. That was helpful. Just what I was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #16
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
If you spend a lot of time in stop-and-go freeway traffic, the Active Cruise Control in DA+ will save your mind.

On the other hand, the exec pkg is very nice, with the dynamic digital instrument cluster, leather seating, 3D surround view, and adaptive full LED lights (among other things).

Get both if you can. However, if you absolutely, positively must choose only one, get DA+ if you spend a lot of time in freeway stop-and-go traffic. Otherwise, exec pkg.
THIS.
      12-01-2018, 10:01 PM   #17
gtoxm40i
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
THIS.
Seconded. Regular longer drives on the highway/freeway => 100% Driver assistant plus. You basically just hold on to the wheel loosely while watching the road and it does the rest. Makes an 8 hour journey much less exhausting. The system does not work well for very curvy and the smaller local freeways. If you have straighter roads, well painted lines.. its amazing.

The ACC is really well calibrated in my opinion. It slows down and speeds back up just as a human would - very confidence inspiring. It relieves you of the tension of worrying about people slowly down abruptly. The only time you gotta be careful is if people cut you off very close while you're following someone.
Appreciate 1
BillD1953234.50
      12-02-2018, 03:20 AM   #18
weez
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks all for the input.
Whats the best feature of the Exec package? Is it the 3D surround camera? Because that can be had with the Parking asst package for $700.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 06:30 AM   #19
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is it the 3D surround camera?
The surround camera lets you see the curb so you don't scratch up the wheels when you are parking.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 06:48 PM   #20
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
if you like leather seat and will pay for it as a stand along option, i think it's better to get the Exec package since it gives it to you for free as part of the package. Use the Build your car option on BMW website to price out several combination of options. I did that and ended up ordering a fully loaded car except M Differential and Wireless charging which i don't need.
You mean PU leather seats right? I don't think the full leather merino or nappa options available to US customers sadly.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #21
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitz View Post
Quote:
You mean PU leather seats right? I don't think the full leather merino or nappa options available to US customers sadly.
Vernasca leather is available is US as part of Exec Package and that's in my car.

If that's what you mean by PU leather, I prefer not to call it PU anything (even if it's coated by a PU coating) since strictly speaking, PU is a kind of synthetic fabric (I.e. Not based on leather) just like vinyl (Named by BMW as SensaTec).
Appreciate 1
freitz81.50
      12-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #22
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Vernasca leather is available is US as part of Exec Package and that's in my car.

If that's what you mean by PU leather, I prefer not to call it PU anything (even if it's coated by a PU coating) since strictly speaking, PU is a kind of synthetic fabric (I.e. Not based on leather) just like vinyl (Named by BMW as SensaTec).
I mean nothing wrong calling it what it is. Almost all cars today have some of of coated leather. I like the product, personally think it should hold up better to regular use (esp. with kids) vs Merino or Nappa. Those would require more upkeep for sure.

I have 6 year old Dakota in my wife's x1... still looks as good as the first month we had the car. Vernasca is suppose to be the upgrade to Dakota so imagine this will be fine as the years come as well.
Appreciate 0