E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cigarette lighter fix?

12-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
19bmwg05
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i; 09 e91 328xi

Garage List
Cigarette lighter fix?

I've looked and read through the forums and haven't been able to find an answer.

I bought my E90, used, and could have sworn I used the cigarette lighter in the ash tray on the way home. Since the purchase, I've been using the cigarette lighter inside the arm rest, and it's been working beautifully. The other day, I went to plug my dash cam into the one in the ash tray, and it didn't work. Yes I checked the fuse, it was fine. I've researched and found that if it was the fuse, the socket in the arm rest wouldn't have worked either.

I noticed that the socket spins inside the housing and if I get it just right, it would gain power for a quick second. I don't want to pull the whole trim apart as it seems tedious and knowing my luck the fake wood is going to crack.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by 19bmwg05; 12-05-2018 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06bmwe90 View Post
I've looked and read through the forums and haven't been able to find an answer.

I bought my E90, used, and could have sworn I used the cigarette lighter in the ash tray on the way home. Since the purchase, I've been using the cigarette lighter inside the arm rest, and it's been working beautifully. The other day, I went to plug my dash cam into the one in the ash tray, and it didn't work. Yes I checked the fuse, it was fine. I've researched and found that if it was the fuse, the socket in the arm rest wouldn't have worked either.

I noticed that the socket spins inside the housing and if I get it just right, it would gain power for a quick second. I don't want to pull the whole trim apart as it seems tedious and knowing my luck the fake wood is going to crack.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
the cigarrette lighter wiring may not be contacting surfaces properly.

I plugged something into my cigarette lighter once and accidentally pulled out the unit and had to put it back in .. it has little metal prongs.

I'd imagine u might just have a bad connection there. it's probably nothing super serious
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 05:22 AM   #3
emmetfj
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 325D MSport

Exact same issue hapoened me. Bought my car 2 years ago now but the ash tray lighter never worked. The previous owner never used it. Perhaps they just fail after a long period without use?
Appreciate 0