BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
GTFM3
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Considering return to BMW

New member here. Official old fart, but lifelong car nut. Looking at new X5 as my 28th new car purchase (6 of which were BMW). Spent time on this forum and configurator, and am considering the X5 to replace my '15 Porsche Macan S, which was delivered on launch day, 5/14/14. While I love the Macan, looking at the new refresh for Spring will be in mid $80's. The X5 40i can be well equipped in low $70's, and OTD pricing would be over $15K savings. Plus, Porsche has REALLY high cost on regular maintenance. Being retired, that's significant.
Based upon my research, I would lose a bit in acceleration and handling, and that great sound from those quad exhausts, but I can live with that. The resale on the Macan is extremely strong, but not sure it can remain at those levels. Overall the Macan has been my favorite purchase since my E36 M3 (purchased in '99), but the new X5 looks pretty competitive and a good value. I looked at the X3, but not IMO competitive with the Macan.
Questions for you Bimmer experts out there...
* Is silver or met. red really not available?
* Can the gesture control be deleted (or at least deactivated)?
* Are run-flats better than they used to be?
* Time from order to delivery? (Over 3 mos for Porsche)
* Is the leather dash ($1,200) worth it, include anything else?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
paul45
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Not a Bimmer expert; mild enthusiast at best!

* Is silver or met. red really not available? Not available.
* Can the gesture control be deleted (or at least deactivated)? Can be deactivated easily
* Are run-flats better than they used to be? Likely, have no problems with mine in last 9 years
* Time from order to delivery? (Over 3 mos for Porsche) 3-6 weeks usually, depending if your dealer has build allocation, and your location
* Is the leather dash ($1,200) worth it, include anything else? Most people think so, but not a must. There is an entire thread devoted to that question on this forum
Appreciate 2
GTFM377.50
      02-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFM3 View Post
* Is the leather dash ($1,200) worth it, include anything else?
I agree with Paul's answers above.

On the leather dash, I didn't order and am happy with the standard as I have a black interior.

That being said, if I were reordering, I would probably add it now.

Also, I passed on Luxury Seating package, spare tire option, and tow hook. I'm not losing sleep over it, but would have added these, also.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
goenkar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 - G05

If you are doing a custom build then for peace of mind I would add the spare for $150. I bought one off the lot that had everything I needed except the spare. I will spring for one in a few months.

I had run flats in the 335 and 528 and have had a total of 3 tires that had to be replaced due to flats. The last one was due to a piece of concrete that was on the road. In all cases tires handled well and my indication was the light in the dash.

While Michigan roads are getting better for a while they were horrible.
Appreciate 1
GTFM377.50
      02-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #5
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Ametrin and Ruby Black are both metallic reds available on the X5. They have to be special ordered as an 'individual' color option for an up charge.
Appreciate 0