BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #1
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

first major issue - Drivetrain Malfunction

Hi,

My X3 x30i has been trouble-free for the last 1.5 years, and it just happened this morning.
I started the car, and there was 'Drivetrain malfunction' warning, then shortly followed by several other malfunction warnings - Driver assistance malfunction, Parking Distance Control malfunction, etc.

The shifter wouldn't engage at all, and there is no light, indicating which gear it's in. The shift to Sport mode is locked too, it just felt like the car was off.

All other things were normal - engine sounded good (though I didn't try pushing the pedal), all displays were up, iDrive was up.

I tried shutting off the car, re-starting several times, no change.
I finally gave up, stayed home, called my dealer and booked an appointment, thinking of calling roadside assistance as the shifter wouldn't engage and i wouldn't be able to move the car at all...then about an hour later, I tried agian. This time only the CEL (Check Engine Light) was on, and all others were normal. Transmission shifter was working fine this time. So I drove to the dealer, they said they would have to inspect the car, but the queue is quite long and it wouldn't be done until late afternoon (now it's 1:15PM).

This doesn't look to be a rare case as I've seen a few others posting the same in other models' forums...but just sharing you guys what i'm experiencing with G01 X3, and also wondering what the possible/typical root cause may be?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
drknight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 sDrive30i M-Sport

I had this issue a month or so ago. My car had a defective DME module. It was replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep

Was diagnosed to be something about software. They said they wouldn't change anything physically, just need to (do something about software) and test dtive for 30 mins, and should be good to release the car tomorrow. I didn't get the bracketed part clearly, but will go and check the detail in the paperwork.
Thanks for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
pritchd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
In my 2011 528i, I experienced this twice ... in 2013 after replacing the gas pedal and some related module didn't work, they replaced the DME. In 2017, it was a bad ignition coil.
      04-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, so faulty DME is a frequent cause, it seems.
I'm a bit skeptical a drivetrain malfunction is a software glitch, but will talk to them tomorrow and get it clarified.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 12:29 AM   #6
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

As a reminder, if your X3 does need to be towed, and you cannot put it into Neutral, then you must have a tow truck with a dolly. Ain't nobody going to crawl underneath and go through the Transmission Release process. You need a tow truck with a dolly.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 01:07 AM   #7
dzekochen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

This happened to my x3 m40i last year as well, and my dealership replaced the battery for me to solve this problem within a day. This issue could result in a very serious consequence, imagine if your shifter won't be engaging while you are on the highway. I encountered this issue while I was about to leave the restaurant, then I called a towing company to tow my car with a dolly to the dealership after 90 mins.
Appreciate 0