F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > EDC to passive CO's front strut configuration
ARMA SPEED

04-09-2019, 12:51 AM   #1
daac
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive Msport

EDC to passive CO's front strut configuration

So I almost pulled the trigger on the KW Street comfort coilovers but I stumbled upon a few posts regarding the front strut end link mount is different between EDC and non EDC cars. Non EDC cars have the same strut on both sides just flipped 180 degrees and EDC cars have two different struts that are mirror image of each other. Do the KW co's take this into account when ordering or are new end links required?
As far as I can tell the KW sc part numbers 1802000S is regular and the 1802000U is the same but includes the EDC delete kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by daac View Post
So I almost pulled the trigger on the KW Street comfort coilovers but I stumbled upon a few posts regarding the front strut end link mount is different between EDC and non EDC cars. Non EDC cars have the same strut on both sides just flipped 180 degrees and EDC cars have two different struts that are mirror image of each other. Do the KW co's take this into account when ordering or are new end links required?
As far as I can tell the KW sc part numbers 1802000S is regular and the 1802000U is the same but includes the EDC delete kit.
all xdrive cars are L and R front strut specific. Only the RWD cars have the issue you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
izaazk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Quote:
all xdrive cars are L and R front strut specific. Only the RWD cars have the issue you mentioned.
Not necessarily...

I had EDC on my f30 and it's slightly different

OP... the only thing you'll need to change is the end links ... strut will fit fine
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by izaazk View Post
Not necessarily...

I had EDC on my f30 and it's slightly different

OP... the only thing you'll need to change is the end links ... strut will fit fine
thats because you dont have an xdrive car.

his car is xdrive, hes not going to need to change anything if buying non edc xdrive kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 09:44 PM   #5
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was under the impression that cars with EDC have different left and right struts. Looking at realoem the part members for the right side strut and end link are different. The problem I read was that manufacturers don't account for this and just make the front struts the same for both L and R sides so when used on a car with EDC is when the problem comes up.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #6
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
I was under the impression that cars with EDC have different left and right struts. Looking at realoem the part members for the right side strut and end link are different. The problem I read was that manufacturers don't account for this and just make the front struts the same for both L and R sides so when used on a car with EDC is when the problem comes up.
Dont always believe everything you read on the internet, there are a lot of misinformation.

- ALL xdrive cars regardless of edc equipped or not have different L and R struts in the front. left endlink 31306792211 and right endlink 31306792212
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0951

- Only rwd cars without edc have the same struts on both sides. Same endlink on both sides 31306792212

Last edited by M4_GTS; 04-09-2019 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:55 PM   #7
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Dont always believe everything you read on the internet, there are a lot of misinformation.

- ALL xdrive cars regardless of edc equipped or not have different L and R struts in the front. left endlink 31306792211 and right endlink 31306792212

- Only rwd cars without edc have the same struts on both sides. Same endlink on both sides 31306792212

But this in on the internet too!
But seriously if that's the case then ok thanks. Guess my question in the end is I have xdrive and EDC so different struts and links on each side. Does the kW SC for xdrive with EDC delete kit 1802000U account for this straight bolt on no endlinks needed?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #8
R32DBP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport, 2004 .:R32T

Garage List
this is definitely interesting information. I am RWD and have EDC and I am just finding out now that the front struts are different. I am planning to get coilovers in the future so I too wonder if companies have accounted for this.

What exactly is the difference from left and right front struts?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

My other concern is I'm hoping the shocks will have the mounting brackets for the accelerometers. Apparently these still need to function with the EDC delete kit or VSS could be effected. Again this is just what I've read on these forums I have no confirmation it is accurate I'm hoping someone on here can confirm. I've found photos of the shocks and seems like they do have the mounts so fingers crossed everything goes smooth.
I was going to install them myself but I found a kW dealer install shop in Vancouver that includes install and alignment for a reasonable price so it will be in there hands.
Appreciate 0