E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Amplifier Interference

08-13-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Amplifier Interference

I've added a Blaupunkt plug n play THA555 amp to my E92 as per some instructions on here - sounds great, but I have a really annoying interference problem.

When I press the start engine button, there is a whizzing noise from the speakers. If I then press the accelerator, the whizzing noise rises in pitch matching the engine revs

The amp inputs come straight from the existing BMW wiring behind the head unit using a vehicle specific adapter, and the amp is connected to the positive and negative terminals of the battery.

Anyone any ideas how to get rid of this?

- perhaps earth the amp to the body of the car instead of the battery?
- the amp input cables run down the centre of the car, tucked under the centre console trim - could there be something there interfering?
- any other ideas?

I plan to tackle it tonight but just wondered if anyone had any tips/experiences/ideas.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
tpipta
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Absolutely, get rid of the long ground cable and run a ground to the vehicle chassis that is only a couple feet away. That in it of itself could fix your problem. Also, if you have the power, ground and hi/low (frequency) audio cables running next to one another, you could also be inducing a noise on that front as well!

Good luck!!

Best,

Tony
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
If shortening your ground lead doesn't help, you could also try using chokes on the power and/or ground wires.

Usually this is caused by long runs of signal cables next to power cables, poorly shielded signal cables, or shorts between signal ground and chassis ground (ie metal connector shell shorted to body). Last time I had an issue like this it was resolved by heat-shrinking the (metal) RCA signal plugs.
Appreciate 0