E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > CDV Installation help....

08-22-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
SoFlo335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

CDV Installation help....

Ok, so today I installed the modified CDV from Terry. Installation felt like it went perfectly, but after taking the car out for a ride and parking it back home, I smelled burning oil. I thought it was just some oil that dripped out of the line when I was swapping out the CDVs. But, I drove the car around a little more tonight, and when I got home, the smell was still there. I took a look under the car and saw burnt oil on the dps, a little more oil then what spilled out when I was swapping the valves out. But, I looked at the brake fluid and clutch reservoir and the levels didnt seem to have changed. So, my question is, is it safe to drive around with possible oil dripping? I have to drive about 100miles tomorrow, so I am not sure if it is 100% safe. Sorry for the noobness!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

hmm, sounds like the clutch has nothing to do with it, maybe just random chance it happens after the modification... or maybe you weren't paying attention to notice it until now? Either way, that isn't good
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
SoFlo335
Lieutenant
Rep

Its definitely the fluid from reservoir. Im just wondering if it would be safe to drive around for a little bit with it possibly leaking. Im gonna get the clutch bleed later in the weekend, I just dont have enough time tomorrow to do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

you changed the CDV without bleeding the clutch? How does the clutch feel, a little squishy? I want to do mine this weekend if I can find someone that can pump the clutch for me.
2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
SoFlo335
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
you changed the CDV without bleeding the clutch? How does the clutch feel, a little squishy? I want to do mine this weekend if I can find someone that can pump the clutch for me.
Yea, it feels a little squishy, but drivable. I will get the clutch bled though, b/c I dont like how it feels.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

so I guess you do still have to bleed it? I thought I read somewhere that you can clamp the line and just swap the CDV and not have to bleed it if you are careful to minimize spillage? As a matter of fact, I think I was told that over the phone...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
ibrandon
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
so I guess you do still have to bleed it? I thought I read somewhere that you can clamp the line and just swap the CDV and not have to bleed it if you are careful to minimize spillage? As a matter of fact, I think I was told that over the phone...
You can use a clamp to clamp off the hose, but it doesn't guarantee that air will not get in ....bleeding is a kinda a pain on this car, due to the bleeder being under the transmission tunnel, so its hard to fit a wrench more or less your hands in there to bleed.

I used a short 11mm socket over the top of the nipple and put a rag around the area, so when i open it it sprays on the rag and not on my car (be sure the rubber nipple is off)...Have a buddy pump several times, (full pumps) and hold...then open the bleeder...it takes a few turns to open that bleeder, but once you see a burst of fluid or air, close it back up, and pump again, repeat until the clutch feels good. Be sure to watch your brake/clutch fluid reservoir (Dot 4 fluid only) so it doesn't go below the min line, if so you will suck air back in and you have to start all over...

Normally you would put a clear hose over the nipple and use a wrench to open it, but i couldn't get room to do so...theres prolli an easier way of doing this, i just havent found it yet..ha

GL!
Appreciate 0