E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > jb3 question

08-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

jb3 question

not trying to flame on rix, BMS, or anyone else involved in the jb3 development...but has anyone with either post 3-08 build or the updated ecu from the dealership AND HAS jb3 gone to the dealer for service to test the invisibility of the jb3??

like i said straight curiosity question and nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

I am sure others could chime in, but we did do our homework on this one.

Terry has a v81 car as not only his personal daily driver, but as the jb3 development car. He had all codes pulled, figured out the limits and detection methods, and even got inside info from his sources in germany on the actual detection methods and how the dealer computers treat these detections.

We had a beta customer running the v81/29.2 jb3 maps that had his fuel pump replaced. Dealer pulled codes and did all the diagnostics, the jb3 had full invisibility, and warranty work was completed, as it should have been, since fuel pump failure was not related to the tune.

The point of diagnostic invisibility is not to "fool" the dealer, but rather to make sure 100% that the car is running happy, and not fighting against the way its tuned. Diagnostic invisibility is a biproduct of good tuning, and a little bit of extra R&D to make sure that BMW doesn't dictate what we can and can not do to our cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep

did he leave the jb3 installed in the car when getting serviced or do you have to take it in and out? and one last question...do you need either the OEM oil cooler or an aftermarket one in order to run the jb3? i'm really leaning to jb3 rather than dinan at the moment
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post

The point of diagnostic invisibility is not to "fool" the dealer, but rather to make sure 100% that the car is running happy, and not fighting against the way its tuned. Diagnostic invisibility is a biproduct of good tuning, and a little bit of extra R&D to make sure that BMW doesn't dictate what we can and can not do to our cars.
totally agree with this statement.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
Mid_West
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Not to bash the JB3 because, even tho I dont have one RIGHT NOW, but the whole talk about 'diagnostic invisibility' is kinda a moot point with any of these tunes. BMW will surely change their ways of 'detecting' on the upcoming Progman's so what may be true now may not be the same in a few months. The point of my post is to enjoy what you have now but dont count on it in the future. Im sure I will get flamed for this but if our engines keep requiring wastegate repairs or new turbos, they (BMW) will surely buy the tunes and develop ways of detecting them.

Case in point, look at the AA Xede. Do your search on this one to see what Im referring to.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvietness View Post
did he leave the jb3 installed in the car when getting serviced or do you have to take it in and out? and one last question...do you need either the OEM oil cooler or an aftermarket one in order to run the jb3? i'm really leaning to jb3 rather than dinan at the moment
Its always a good idea to remove mods before going in for warranty work... I've had convorsations with many BMW techs that pretty much its not the mods that make them mad, but rather when people try to hide stuff... they just wanna fix the car, in its stock form...

No oil cooler required, BMS's record breaking development 335 sedan does not have an oil cooler.

-Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid_West View Post
Not to bash the JB3 because, even tho I dont have one RIGHT NOW, but the whole talk about 'diagnostic invisibility' is kinda a moot point with any of these tunes. BMW will surely change their ways of 'detecting' on the upcoming Progman's so what may be true now may not be the same in a few months. The point of my post is to enjoy what you have now but dont count on it in the future. Im sure I will get flamed for this but if our engines keep requiring wastegate repairs or new turbos, they (BMW) will surely buy the tunes and develop ways of detecting them.

Case in point, look at the AA Xede. Do your search on this one to see what Im referring to.
Its cat and mouse... but with the jb3, we can release inexpensive updates to keep us ahead of the pack. We just released the jb3 a week ago... BMW is not that fast

Your post makes it sound as if tunes are causing wastegate/turbo problems, but thats far from the truth... My dealer has done 4 or 5 of them, and most of them were 535's. The majority of 335's on e90post might be tuned, but warranty failures like the ones you mentioned are far more common on non-tuned cars, because there is many more non-tuned n54's on the road, and the problem is not related to the tune.

The thing that gives us the advantage is that unlike other Tuners, our piggyback is not based on 3rd party hardware.

JB3 was built from the ground up JUST FOR the n54, so we have the flexibility to tune out or adjust whatever parameters we need to, but as it is now, the DME see's stock-like values coming back from the jb3, and we already found a way around their impedence checks... and we are ready for whatever they might throw at us in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
Its always a good idea to remove mods before going in for warranty work... I've had convorsations with many BMW techs that pretty much its not the mods that make them mad, but rather when people try to hide stuff... they just wanna fix the car, in its stock form...

No oil cooler required, BMS's record breaking development 335 sedan does not have an oil cooler.

-Rick
you are one heck of a salesman rix. i was on the fence and 15 mins later you convinced me to get it. hahahhaa. guess i'll be joining the jb3 family very very soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
you are one heck of a salesman rix. i was on the fence and 15 mins later you convinced me to get it. hahahhaa. guess i'll be joining the jb3 family very very soon.
jb3 sells itself, I just list the facts

-Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep

rix any difference other than the installation between the pinout and PnP version? how easy is it to pull off the pinout if i needed to take the car into the shop? i know the pnp would be a cake and i'm assuming the pinout version would be as well since i would know where the wires go for re-install.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
rix any difference other than the installation between the pinout and PnP version? how easy is it to pull off the pinout if i needed to take the car into the shop? i know the pnp would be a cake and i'm assuming the pinout version would be as well since i would know where the wires go for re-install.
Pinout adds about 5-25 minutes to the process depending on how good you are with wires. Its still technically "plug and play" becuase we use OEM bmw type pins, and its completely reversible... it just requires 11 single wire connections instead of the entire connectors being replaced.

You can always add the PNP later for 200 bucks.

-Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #12
paltomare
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I have a related question.....
Has the JB3 been tested with the 30.2 update? I brought my 01/08 build 335 to the dealer to have a Sirius module installed that had been on backorder. They had the car for a day and half and told me they loaded all new software including 30.2 which they received about a month ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #13
gimp2x
v81 user
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

i have v81 with 30.2, 06/08 build car, and I have been running the jb3 with intake AND downpipes for a while, no issues, no CEL's, just smooth power
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #14
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Gimp and Palto,

Any indication of lag on base 30.2 and then with the JB3 installed over it?

There was some talk elsewhere that 30.2 helped remedy the lag from 29.2, but it's not substantiated.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #15
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
The pin out should be pretty easy. It just takes some time to look exactly which wire to pull out, double check and taping. Let me know if you need some help. I've taken my tune in and out so much that I can do this pretty easily.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #16
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
The pin out should be pretty easy. It just takes some time to look exactly which wire to pull out, double check and taping. Let me know if you need some help. I've taken my tune in and out so much that I can do this pretty easily.
could you pm me your number? some help would be fantastic since i've never gone into and messed with ecu stuff on a car period!! i'll order the pinout version now and then wait for the PnP harness later on to make it even easier. thanks TT.

nathan
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep

ok i just ordered my jb3...can't wait!!! another question came up in my curious mind as i read too many posts on the forum. i've been reading that some people suggest changing the oil right after the break in period (1200 miles). any thoughts on this? if it's suggested i wanted to do this before installing the jb3 pin version.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #18
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep

someone chime in?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 09:22 AM   #19
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I changed my oil after break-in and every 5k.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #20
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep

thanks tt. man i called bmw of dallas today to set up an appointment to get the oil change after the break in period...and the girl that answered was dumb as dirt. asking why this...why that. i wanted to say b!tch i'm paying for it out of my own pocket so just set up the damn appointment! i probably would have made her cry if i did though.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #21
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle

Quote:
thanks tt. man i called bmw of dallas today to set up an appointment to get the oil change after the break in period...and the girl that answered was dumb as dirt. asking why this...why that. i wanted to say b!tch i'm paying for it out of my own pocket so just set up the damn appointment! i probably would have made her cry if i did though.
LOL i had the same thing happen to me few days ago when i made appointment for break in oil change.

there response was "NOPE YOU DONT NEED ONE. ITS WASTE OF MONEY" Not like his gonna pay for me...

Im waiting to order my JB3 as well when the PNP is out. Currently have a SSTT and in need of more power soon.

My right foot weighs more than my left for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #22
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exidisjon View Post
LOL i had the same thing happen to me few days ago when i made appointment for break in oil change.

there response was "NOPE YOU DONT NEED ONE. ITS WASTE OF MONEY" Not like his gonna pay for me...

Im waiting to order my JB3 as well when the PNP is out. Currently have a SSTT and in need of more power soon.
i was going to do the same. but figured i'd order now and save 200 and then can just order the adapter later for the same price. i was getting too anxious for the power and couldn't wait any longer. lol
Appreciate 0