BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Disable comfort access for washing

When washing the vehicle I find it locks and unlocks several times as water is srpayed over the door handles or I touch the door handles while washing, including the side view mirrors cycling in and out. More inconvenient, I have on several occasions had the tail gate open, appearing to be caused by water running off the rear bumper activating the hands-free sensor.

With my '14 X5 I recall there was an easy way to disable comfort access for just this situation. I've searched the owner's manual for my '19 X40i and cannot find anything in this regard. Is anyone aware of an easy and quick way to temporarily disable comfort access and the hands-free tailgate opening?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

If you're washing it at home, just don't keep the keys on you while washing. Works for me!
2011 550ix msport
2009 e92 335i msport

Last edited by bubbahead; 11-06-2019 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
When washing the vehicle I find it locks and unlocks several times as water is srpayed over the door handles or I touch the door handles while washing, including the side view mirrors cycling in and out. More inconvenient, I have on several occasions had the tail gate open, appearing to be caused by water running off the rear bumper activating the hands-free sensor.

With my '14 X5 I recall there was an easy way to disable comfort access for just this situation. I've searched the owner's manual for my '19 X40i and cannot find anything in this regard. Is anyone aware of an easy and quick way to temporarily disable comfort access and the hands-free tailgate opening?
I believe valet mode disables a lot of that, could try it!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I had the same problem. I actually take the Key Card thing out with me. I can get in when I forget (every time) to pull back the wipers. You don't have to hear the stupid chime whenever you walk over the grab the hose or get your bucket.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I leave the key in the cup holder. Problem solved for me.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 3
wrickem2124.50
natahoa252.00
      11-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

I leave my keys in the garage away from the X5. How does everyone deal with the wipers during a wash since they don’t lift up like normal wipers? I put mine in service mode but it ends up timing out and crashes against the edge of the hood.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
I leave my keys in the garage away from the X5. How does everyone deal with the wipers during a wash since they don’t lift up like normal wipers? I put mine in service mode but it ends up timing out and crashes against the edge of the hood.

I assume when you’re washing? I have the same problem. It doesn’t bash down too hard, but enough to cringe. I have no idea why they do that, or how to prevent it. I was going to put a towel between the arms and the hood. It only seems to happen when I am drying. I cringe every time.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
...How does everyone deal with the wipers during a wash since they don’t lift up like normal wipers? I put mine in service mode but it ends up timing out and crashes against the edge of the hood.
If by "service mode" you mean the fold-out position mentioned in the owners manual...are you leaving the vehicle in the "stand-by state" or are you pressing the START button again to shut the vehicle's electronics down?

Once you get the wiper blades into the fold out position...you should press the START button (again) to shut the vehicles electronics down. This would prevent the wipers from being able to move until you put the vehicle back in the "stand-by state" (pressing the START button).

If the G05 "fold-out" position is like that of my f06...you do it by:
  1. press the START button to put the car in the "ready state"
  2. press down & hold the wiper stalk until the wiper blades move into a vertical position
  3. press the START button again to turn off the car's electronics
  4. get out of car and fold/move wiper blades away from the windshield
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-07-2019 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #9
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

It’s what you describe above which I refer to often because it’s not the most intuitive or memorable process. I back it out of the garage to wash, get the arms up, wash, then pull back in the garage to stay out of the sun to dry it. That is when the crashing takes place so possibly I need to press the start button twice, once to shut off the engine and again to shut the electronics as you suggest. Thanks for the suggestion.

This whole thing with the wipers is just needlessly complex.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #10
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Or you could put the wipers back down before you start the car and pull back into the garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #11
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Does anybody know why BMW wipers are designed this way? Is it for aesthetics or functional reasons?
2011 X5 35i BSM/Black - Retired
2011 335i Coupe Alpine White/Saddle - Retired (ED)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 05:13 AM   #12
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
Does anybody know why BMW wipers are designed this way? Is it for aesthetics or functional reasons?
I don't know if it's fact, but I always thought it was for aerodynamic reasons. So the blades don't hop when you're flying down the autobahn.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #13
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
I leave the key in the cup holder. Problem solved for me.
When washing at home I leave the fob sufficiently far from the vehicle that it's not issue, but we're now in that time of year here in CO where I need to go to a commercial self-wash facility to avoid ending up with a skating rink in my driveway from the frozen run off.

I've seen this recommendation before and, in my experience, the vehicle will not lock with fob in the front seat area (warnings in the manual about placing the fob in the cargo area imply it will lock with the fob located there). I called BMW Genius to ask about a quick way to disable comfort access for washing and, during the conversation, mentioned this specific tip I'd read of before. The Genius advised not to count on this as he stated he was aware of instances where people were locked out of their vehicle after leaving the fob inside. Interesting and, I must admit, counter to my and other's experience, but he is a Genius!

It did occur to me that by keeping the key card in your pocket while the fob is left in the vehicle may be the answer. The fob normally preventing comfort access from cycling and, if it does happen to lock the vehicle, you could use the key card to unlock it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #14
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
When washing at home I leave the fob sufficiently far from the vehicle that it's not issue, but we're now in that time of year here in CO where I need to go to a commercial self-wash facility to avoid ending up with a skating rink in my driveway from the frozen run off.

I've seen this recommendation before and, in my experience, the vehicle will not lock with fob in the front seat area (warnings in the manual about placing the fob in the cargo area imply it will lock with the fob located there). I called BMW Genius to ask about a quick way to disable comfort access for washing and, during the conversation, mentioned this specific tip I'd read of before. The Genius advised not to count on this as he stated he was aware of instances where people were locked out of their vehicle after leaving the fob inside. Interesting and, I must admit, counter to my and other's experience, but he is a Genius!

It did occur to me that by keeping the key card in your pocket while the fob is left in the vehicle may be the answer. The fob normally preventing comfort access from cycling and, if it does happen to lock the vehicle, you could use the key card to unlock it.
If you have the card you don't need the fob...... So not sure why you would have both. I typically use my card 90% of the time anyway so I no longer need to leave the key in the X5. Also my experience I left my fob in twice after washing overnight in the garage and the X5 never locked with the fob inside and me not there.

With your weather and having to wash, make sense you just take the key card and role with it from there. Also remember you can remotely unlock via the app.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #15
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
If you have the card you don't need the fob...... So not sure why you would have both. I typically use my card 90% of the time anyway so I no longer need to leave the key in the X5. Also my experience I left my fob in twice after washing overnight in the garage and the X5 never locked with the fob inside and me not there.

With your weather and having to wash, make sense you just take the key card and role with it from there. Also remember you can remotely unlock via the app.

Do you ever have issues using the key card? i know it takes some moving around at times, but i am always worried ill get tripped up at the most inopportune time.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #16
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Do you ever have issues using the key card? i know it takes some moving around at times, but i am always worried ill get tripped up at the most inopportune time.
Not one single issue yet, it is a bit finicky at first unlock and lock the doors but you get used to it really quickly. I also accidentally washed/dried my card and its fine. I also noticed after the update .53 i was able to remove the card (sits in my wallet) and pay at a drive thru without any alerts or engine shutting off.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #17
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Not one single issue yet, it is a bit finicky at first unlock and lock the doors but you get used to it really quickly. I also accidentally washed/dried my card and its fine. I also noticed after the update .53 i was able to remove the card (sits in my wallet) and pay at a drive thru without any alerts or engine shutting off.
Awesome! I will start to integrate it more. I love the idea, but can never seem to hit the right spot. I wish I had the phone key capability.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #18
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! I will start to integrate it more. I love the idea, but can never seem to hit the right spot. I wish I had the phone key capability.
I first started it for my workout and going to the gym. I don't bring anything but water and keys in, so with this all i bring is water and a slim card that I have sweat on something fierce and it still works just fine.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #19
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Quote:
Apparently the secret is to line up the nfc logo with the three lines/ridges on the door handle.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #20
///Armin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Press the unlock button on the key several times in a row and it disables the auto locking/unlocking. Helpful when washing or putting gas in.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 08:12 AM   #21
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Armin View Post
Press the unlock button on the key several times in a row and it disables the auto locking/unlocking. Helpful when washing or putting gas in.
Have not heard of this technique before. So after doing this, does the vehicle only lock/unlock via the fob unlock button? And, how do you re-activate auto lock/unlock?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #22
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
Apparently the secret is to line up the nfc logo with the three lines/ridges on the door handle.

I'll try that. I got cocky and decided to go and use my key card on a rainy day. Needless to say...I had trouble. It was weird, since sometimes I can just hold it near the spot it says to in the manual...but other times I have to hold it inside the handle and slightly pull at the same time. Also, my ConnectedDrive app failed to unlock/lock that evening...go figure.
Appreciate 0