BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Some Thoughts on the G05 and BMW...

I love this vehicle, but BMW really dropped the ball in regards to software integration. Between the reverse camera flub, crazy steering intervention, to phone disconnecting, and plain old iDrive dumps...this vehicle is really seeming to be my last BMW.

The vehicle, when it works as intended is great. It drives like a champ handles like no other. BUT, I paid for a slew of features and services that are downright junk, or non-existent. BMW just seems to kick the can down the road with more software updates, while remaining mum on compensating the early adopters on non-delivered, over-promised features. I wish someone would fire up a class-action suit against this company.

Meanwhile, they keep rolling out news about à la carte services you can "download" to "improve" your driving experience. What this mean is you will pay twice for hardware and softwares features. Look at CarPlay...it's a money grab. They claim that they charge since they're the only ones offering wireless CarPlay and the cost goes to developing. Well...I've got news for you BMW...whoever you're paying to "develop" your software is a downright moron.

This is on par with a crappy maintenance man who keeps duct taping and spackling when everything needs to be ripped out. Or in simpler terms...polishing the turd. This is downright abysmal, and feel like this cart goes in at least once a month for an "update". Where's the remote updates that I am "subscribed" to on your portal?

I love the car, and if they didn't offer these fancy features with the hopes they would actually come to fruition, fine. But when your "Intelligent" Safety Features are more dangerous than not...well that's no good. Get your act together BMW...You're not a software company, so maybe invest in an outside team? A group of chimpanzees could do a better job (no offense to chimps). They act like they're doing us a favor by releasing fixes.

Trying to keep up with the releases is damn near impossible. We all sit by like a kid on Christmas (or whatever holiday you want to insert) hoping that the next one will be THE one. Nope, just some fixes with a ton more bugs thrown in. I hope I am not the only one as frustrated or fed up with this car/brand. Again, I love the car and BMW, but seriously...get your act together guys!

--END RANT--
Appreciate 1
jasrboyd123.50
      11-11-2019, 08:40 PM   #2
Year1of1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
while remaining mum on compensating the early adopters on non-delivered, over-promised features. I wish someone would fire up a class-action suit against this company.
what was promised/not delivered?
2015 X1 - retired
2020 X5 M50i - On Order
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
Ken6096
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95 2022

Why dont you do it? Why wait?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 01:50 AM   #4
jumpingpint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i 2017

What’s the main pain point here?

By the way, the Apple car play is a piece of junk, and I am happy to get $100 back if offered.
The Apple car play map does not even support pinch zoom.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:03 AM   #5
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Between the reverse camera flub, crazy steering intervention, to phone disconnecting, and plain old iDrive dumps...this vehicle is really seeming to be my last BMW.
Reverse camera works fine for me, and what "crazy steering intervention"? Did you set lane departure to "early"?
Phone disconnecting should be a thing of the past.

Quote:
BUT, I paid for a slew of features and services that are downright junk, or non-existent...... non-delivered, over-promised features. I wish someone would fire up a class-action suit against this company.
I really have no clue what issues you are talking about here.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:11 AM   #6
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingpint View Post
By the way, the Apple car play is a piece of junk, and I am happy to get $100 back if offered.
The Apple car play map does not even support pinch zoom.
I have to disagree.
BMW has one of the best CarPlay implementation, and I love that fact that it is wireless. I use it every day.

CarPlay is a must have feature for me. One of the reason why I did not choose Tesla was its lack of CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Sorry you are having a bad experience, OP. What software version do you have?

I’ve had much better luck. I’ve had my 2020 X5 for about 6 weeks and haven’t noticed a single issue with iDrive or CarPlay. Everything works flawlessly for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

I saw a few posts for the MY2019 models, is this still an issue with MY2020?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Are there any statistics related to reliability released for the 2019 models? I'm guessing not. The posts in this forum are all anecdotal, I can't imagine it being representative of the norm. That being said, there's typically a higher level of bugs found in first year models.

I've had my 2020 for nearly a month now and *knock on wood* everything has worked flawlessly (aside from the rear camera not switching to front camera when going from reverse to drive, but from my understanding that's by design and not a bug). Let's hope everything continues to work flawlessly.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #10
PDXBMW50I
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

X5 Issues

I just saw your post and decided to make an account to shed light on my experience with my M50i so far...(1500 miles)

Last week I was driving down a standard two-lane road at around 55mph when all a sudden the car came to a very abrupt halt with the collision sensors flashing. I looked around for any cars passing, signs or anything that could have possibly set the sensor off and nothing. Flash forward to almost a week in service and multiple phone calls with BMW NA and my local deal. The conclusion was that the sensor acted correctly and could have been tripped by anything including radio waves, bugs, leaves falling.... the list went on and on.

I have a serious concern because I had just pulled off I-5 and if the collision sensor were to accidentally go off because of a random radio wave, leaf or bug it could easily end up seriously hurting me or my family.

BMW NA response: If the Engineer at the dealer said the car is okay to keep driving than we stand by his inspection of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #11
jasrboyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i Xdrive

I kinda agree with OP because at the price I pay for my X5 everything should just work period. Don’t advertise options to get me to buy a vehicle then I get the vehicle and have to keep resetting idrive restarting vehicle or bring the X5 back in for an update that may or may not fix it the first time. I love the performance of my 40i and will probably get a 50i in the future however the options promised should work not just for you but everyone all the time. I spent a fortune and I think I should get what I paid for.
      11-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #12
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I agree with the previous post as well. Clearly the number of software related issues is high with this model. Mine has had several but the latest software update has cleared mine up, knock on wood. Hopefully as BMWNA works through the issues the number of complaints will begin to decline.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #13
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

As frustrating as it is, I cant really fault BMW for this. I doubt MB/VW owners are all singing its praises on their forums. Iphones have software bugs, my brand new Sony XBR TV has software bugs (those trinitron XBRs used to be bulletproof). It's just the way things are now. We pay through the nose to be beta testers. It's not a BMW specific issue, its an industry wide trend.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #14
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

This was never meant to bash BMW or the X5, but there are several issues...just read the posts. Yes, many can be deemed a one-off issue, or user error. But for a starting price for a barebones model at $60k, I expect a little more. Most, if not all of us have many added features. These aren't cheap, and a year or so later, are still iffy. So I'll try to address some observations and arguments.

Again, this is not meant to bash BMW or the X5, but get everyone on the same page, or at least find some common challenges/issues with vehicles. I get it, we have all sorts of configurations, countries, etc...but we should be getting what we paid for.

Apple CarPlay: it works, but with the additional payment, it better be flawless. How many times have you had to press and hold the power button on the iDrive System to reboot and fix CarPlay? How many software updates were to address it? Maybe give the option to not use it wirelessly and just plug it in? Every other car manufacturer doesn't seem to have a problem with the plug it in method. I agree with every saying it is a must. From a convenience and safety aspect, it's great...but what about our friends on Android? That's another topic. God bless their souls BMW releases an update with Android Auto and it is similar to this.

Features: Remote Software Upgrades...where are they? I think the only one that MAY have happened was in May (how ironic?), but then again, I am not sure. There has been so many .xx updates that it's impossible to keep track. Everyone rushes here to see if .xx fixed xyz or if there's another issue. Go on over to BMW's ConnectedDrive Portal, they're still rocking 3/2019 release notes. Have some uniformity across the updates and give some details as to what was fixed/added. I feel terribly sorry for the dealerships, in particularly, the service advisors. They have no idea, but it's not their fault...BMW is leaving them in the dark.

This brings to another point. The BMW Geniuses, in-person and on the phone, were and are still stumped on some of the features. If you didn't have this problem, then congratulations, you are in fact a BMW Genius. But seriously, You need a PhD and about 60 hours to understand everything in this car. That leads to more confusion on the customer's part and brings it right back to the developers. BMW says that their goal is to build the experience around the driver. I have no idea what this car is doing or wants to do at any given time. Someone hit the nail on the head when they stated it's like getting into a rental every single time. Did my settings save? Will these functions work properly? I have no clue what half the things do in this car or if they are in MY2020 or MY2019. The fact that there's so much disparity amongst model years, software versions, and regions is insane.

The safety features do pose a danger, and if you haven't experienced this, then consider yourself lucky. Here's a little taste of what you're missing:
Imagine you're driving down the road, minding your own business, when all of a sudden...Hulk Hogan rips the steering wheel in the opposite direction, because he thinks you're going to crash. There's so many instances where the lines in the road end or are altered due to construction or lane closures. The car can't pick this up, heck it even decides it wants to play games with you during a merge from two lanes to one. The overly aggressive corrections are a bit too much, but maybe the US has shitty roads. I feel like this feature was developed, tested, and intended for a perfect world scenario.

Going back to safety, the camera debacle...should the front camera pop back up? Should the reverse camera look like that? Why are my 3D renderings out of alignment? This is unacceptable on a luxury SUV and at the price we all paid. Just look at everyone's posts on here...it's all different. There should not be this much confusion and difference on a feature, such as safety, in a vehicle that's touted as a top in safety.

Back over the ConnectedDrive. The app...that's a dumpster fire that seems to have gasoline thrown on it with every update of the app. Remote 3D cool...if it works. The remote features, such as climate control, lock/unlock, and directions are hit or miss...but more times than not...a miss. This all ties back into that luxury brand and at the price point...should not be an issue.

I'll leave it at that...maybe it's my fault for adding these features? Maybe I should've just kept it barebones? Then again, I was hoping for the price I paid, things would work. Maybe $75k is a drop in the bucket to some people on here? But I would hope that you'd still expect some sort of seamless integration. If you don't have any issues, then consider yourself lucky. If you want to take these observations and critiques personally, then I think deep down inside...you know it is a problem. Again...love BMW...love the X5, but really hoped for more time enjoying the features, and less times in a loaner vehicle. Please don't take any of this personal, as some people on here really feel the need to defend BMW to the death. They're not perfect, but they're damn near close. Enjoy your fine day!
Appreciate 4
natahoa252.00
LexxM31703.00
perikifi165.50
      11-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #15
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

I had an F15 and was planning on getting a G05, but have shifted away from it for a lot of the reasons you state. My G01 has been mostly flawless and iDrive 6 bugs were worked out long ago. I decided to go to a Porsche Cayenne, as it meets and exceeds a lot of the things I have come to expect from BMW (handling and power delivery are amazing in the Cayenne, blew the 50i I drove out of the water). On my third BMW, but the G05 mess is keeping me away from that being my fourth. (Side note, wireless Carplay will be standard on 2020 Porsches, so BMW doesn't have that as an exclusive feature anymore)
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #16
jumpingpint
Private First Class
Rep

First time heard there is a wired car play

what’s the benefit of Apple car play and android auto?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #17
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
First time heard there is a wired car play

what’s the benefit of Apple car play and android auto?
So with every other CarPlay set up outside of BMW (for now) you have to plug in your phone via usb to use CarPlay. BMW allows this to be done wirelessly.

I can’t speak for Android Auto, but would imagine it’s the same. On CarPlay, your phone is essentially mirrored on the car’s displayed with essential apps such as Phone, messages, music, maps, etc. There’s some customization options and third party apps like waze, google maps, and Spotify. The whole experience is very well integrated when it’s up and running. Once you get it going, it’s hard to try and go back...at least in my opinion. You don’t have to fumble around with much, and Siri is great when she’s not acting a fool.

For me, it’s essential in any future vehicle for safety and convenience.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #18
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
I had an F15 and was planning on getting a G05, but have shifted away from it for a lot of the reasons you state. My G01 has been mostly flawless and iDrive 6 bugs were worked out long ago. I decided to go to a Porsche Cayenne, as it meets and exceeds a lot of the things I have come to expect from BMW (handling and power delivery are amazing in the Cayenne, blew the 50i I drove out of the water). On my third BMW, but the G05 mess is keeping me away from that being my fourth. (Side note, wireless Carplay will be standard on 2020 Porsches, so BMW doesn't have that as an exclusive feature anymore)
I also am coming from a F15 and wanting a G05. Despite some of the complaints here, I still think the G05 bugs will be worked out. When I got the F15, there were bugs with it as well, especially when my phone was hooked up to it and I couldn't play something as simple as music. Eventually it works fine.

I'm sure BMW knows there are software bugs, and I also think they know its in their interest to not jeopardize customer loyalty, especially in a market segment like this which is the most competitive segment there is.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #19
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I also am coming from a F15 and wanting a G05. Despite some of the complaints here, I still think the G05 bugs will be worked out. When I got the F15, there were bugs with it as well, especially when my phone was hooked up to it and I couldn't play something as simple as music. Eventually it works fine.

I'm sure BMW knows there are software bugs, and I also think they know its in their interest to not jeopardize customer loyalty, especially in a market segment like this which is the most competitive segment there is.

Again, the intent here isn’t to dissuade anyone from the G05. It’s a great vehicle, but there’s a handful of issues. It’s a great vehicle, but one would hope after a year and a handful of updates, things would work across the the board for everyone. There’s some who don’t have any issues. That’s fine, maybe they aren’t using those features, or just glossed over them quickly. The concern is after a year, they still exist. BMW seems pretty dead set on moving on to new services and features without fixing what is already broken. It’s kind of a cart before the horse thing. I’ll take fully functional over 80% there any day.

Now if you want to hear me whining a bitching...well that’s if BMW decides my adaptive headlights are an annual subscription. And yes, that could very well be a thing. But again, that’s not here nor there. This is to highlight the issues that have been identified, fixed, reintroduced, ignored, fixed, and back for a second helping kind of post.

But yes, I think it’ll all be worked out eventually. I’m just tired of having to go to the dealer for software fixes that should be and we’re advertised as being done over the air. So please, do not let this dissuade your decision in jumping to the G05 (not mean in a condescending manner).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #20
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

I too am reluctantly holding out, awaiting solutions to be in place before buying. I just don't want to deal with them and I have a poor performing local BMW dealer that would only make matters worse. I mean its not like your dealer saying, hey Marty, we know some of the features advertised don't work and others only work sometimes so we will only charge you $50k now and you can have the car, then we will bill you the balance in a progressive manner till all advertised features/options work correctly and you have paid the full balance no matter how long that takes.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #21
jumpingpint
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So with every other CarPlay set up outside of BMW (for now) you have to plug in your phone via usb to use CarPlay. BMW allows this to be done wirelessly.

I can’t speak for Android Auto, but would imagine it’s the same. On CarPlay, your phone is essentially mirrored on the car’s displayed with essential apps such as Phone, messages, music, maps, etc. There’s some customization options and third party apps like waze, google maps, and Spotify. The whole experience is very well integrated when it’s up and running. Once you get it going, it’s hard to try and go back...at least in my opinion. You don’t have to fumble around with much, and Siri is great when she’s not acting a fool.

For me, it’s essential in any future vehicle for safety and convenience.
I customized the F15 and paid $350 for it.
The Apple Car Play experience is not good
First, after answering the phone, the Apple map shows up when pressing the navigation button. The map did not support pinch zoom, and it not occupy 1/3 of the screen when in full screen mode. The response to drag is super slow

The Apple map is entirely not usable

Music wise, there is a satellite radio

I am happy to take $100 the credit if can.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #22
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
I customized the F15 and paid $350 for it.
The Apple Car Play experience is not good
First, after answering the phone, the Apple map shows up when pressing the navigation button. The map did not support pinch zoom, and it not occupy 1/3 of the screen when in full screen mode. The response to drag is super slow

The Apple map is entirely not usable

Music wise, there is a satellite radio

I am happy to take $100 the credit if can.
So it sucked on iDrive 6 since you couldn’t use BMW navigation while on CarPlay and the split screen was weird. On iDrive 7 you can use BMW Navigation while connected to CarPlay. When you used it on your F15, were you running iOS 13? It would’ve been before mid-September 2019. iOS 13 really makes CarPlay a lot more user friendly. I know I had the same issue with iDrive 6 on phone calls then getting 2 maps pop up after hanging up. Not the case now. The interface is really responsive, and has more space to keep the home screen clean. The only thing I don’t like is one of the options for a Home Page forces Apple Maps, but I never use that page anyway. Do you have Apple Music? This is a big plus when using CarPlay, as it navigates and playa easily. I ended up getting rid of satellite radio after the onslaught of ads, obnoxious mailings, and some sound quality issues. Hope you give CarPlay another run!
Appreciate 0