BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #1
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Tuning, remap, downpipes etc

Anyone planning on tuning their 3 or 4?

I understand the warranty implications.

Seems like there is plenty scope with forged and low compression engine.

Map, MG1 ecu so is mappable over OBD.
Decat
OPF off

Youtube would suggest the stock car is around 550, the above must push it up to well over 600. That would be pretty impressive and relatively inexpensive to achieve.

Not sure how (if) the chassis would cope with over 600bhp. From what I read it has moslty F90 M5 running gear so should be no issues there.
      11-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
x3mcomp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

No plans to tune while under warranty. However I do plan on doing something about the noise, not sure what the best option is here, first OPF car so not sure if the issues surrounding that? Looking forward to seeing what this car is capable of though for those that do decide to tune!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
clickclickboom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Rust Bucket

The real fun stuff will arrive after the new M3 comes out. Sadly the market just isn’t there yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3mcomp View Post
No plans to tune while under warranty. However I do plan on doing something about the noise, not sure what the best option is here, first OPF car so not sure if the issues surrounding that? Looking forward to seeing what this car is capable of though for those that do decide to tune!
Yeah, my RS3 has OPF sounds pretty quiet.
      11-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickclickboom View Post
The real fun stuff will arrive after the new M3 comes out. Sadly the market just isn’t there yet.
Yeah I agree. will be interesting for sure.
      11-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I have got RaceChip GTS Black installed for 2 weeks already.
Loved it.

I should get some dyno done in 2 weeks. Going on vacation next week.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Loved it.

I look forward to that
r33_RGSport13121.00
      11-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #8
TTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3 f80, X3M, Huracan perf, 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Loved it.

With OPF?
Yes, it's good to install RaceChip to increase a lot EGT temperature and kill the engine and turbos
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #9
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I want to mod but it's damn complex with this car.

Similar to others I want more noise, that's the priority. Then tuning probably by a JB4 if they do one and if I can be arsed with the flaff of installation.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
TTR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 TT View Post
Anyone planning on tuning their 3 or 4?

I understand the warranty implications.

Seems like there is plenty scope with forged and low compression engine.

Map, MG1 ecu so is mappable over OBD.
Decat
OPF off

Youtube would suggest the stock car is around 550, the above must push it up to well over 600. That would be pretty impressive and relatively inexpensive to achieve.

Not sure how (if) the chassis would cope with over 600bhp. From what I read it has moslty F90 M5 running gear so should be no issues there.

What u can actually do (best on my opinion):

1. OPF off+remap st1 (like custom or bm3, just to fix CATS and OPF sensors)

Stock power or st1 like +50-70hp, better response, amazing sound (instead of OPF - you put simple tube or aftermarket part, i recommend this:

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bm...t-left.aspx#!/

You will need to go to any exhaust service, to cut part before stock resonator and weild this part from SuperSprint

I don't recommend to do simple stage1 with stock exhaust, cuz OPF is really increase EGT temperature and u just killing engine and turbos, also don't use any boxes like racechip, or jb4 and bm3 with exhaust containts OPF filters, it's very bad for EGT as i said before

2. Full Stage2

So, ST2 should be about 650hp, we will need

decated downpipe, OPF off, remap

3. ST3?
We can wait a solution hybrid turbos like from PureTurbos or TTE, but i am not sure, that gearbox in x3m is the same like in m5 f90 and hold a lot of torque

My opinion - we don't need this stage on this vehicle, is a daily driver, on 650hp is should be great car and faster any stock SUV.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #11
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTR View Post
What u can actually do (best on my opinion):

1. OPF off+remap st1 (like custom or bm3, just to fix CATS and OPF sensors)

Stock power or st1 like +50-70hp, better response, amazing sound (instead of OPF - you put simple tube or aftermarket part, i recommend this:

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bm...t-left.aspx#!/

You will need to go to any exhaust service, to cut part before stock resonator and weild this part from SuperSprint

I don't recommend to do simple stage1 with stock exhaust, cuz OPF is really increase EGT temperature and u just killing engine and turbos, also don't use any boxes like racechip, or jb4 and bm3 with exhaust containts OPF filters, it's very bad for EGT as i said before

2. Full Stage2

So, ST2 should be about 650hp, we will need

decated downpipe, OPF off, remap

3. ST3?
We can wait a solution hybrid turbos like from PureTurbos or TTE, but i am not sure, that gearbox in x3m is the same like in m5 f90 and hold a lot of torque

My opinion - we don't need this stage on this vehicle, is a daily driver, on 650hp is should be great car and faster any stock SUV.
Sounds like this is going to be fun.

Off to look at tgflash
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #12
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
With OPF?
Yes, it's good to install RaceChip to increase a lot EGT temperature and kill the engine and turbos
Have you measured EGT after a RaceChip installation ?

Have you ever killed an engine or turbo after a RaceChip installation ?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #13
TTR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Have you measured EGT after a RaceChip installation ?

Have you ever killed an engine or turbo after a RaceChip installation ?
I already had racechip on my 330d 5 years ago, it's should be still in my garage. I installed racechip and after 2 days - my clutch is gone and cars stop

But don't put attention to this story.

If you are asking to me this question, thats mean you don't known how is the engine and turbo works, and mainly how this shit like tunning boxes works.

Also, u can put in google "bmw racechip problems" and found A LOT of topics about your question.

I am very like ppls. who don't care nothing, about their income, all ppl who suggest RaceChip using - they are selling this shit and earning big income, like 200-300% of the price for the commision.

So, how this shit is works?

It's just cheating ECU signals from various system, the ECU thiking like it's low boost or less angle and the ECU change angle of ignition or increasing boost. Your ECU working in abnormal mode...

That's why dealer don't see this system.

RaceChip is the shitty box, for stupid ppl, the company earns a lot of money on stupid guys (perfect business model), who don't know anything about tuning and just wants to be little faster than stock and keep warranty

Imagine, if u put the wrong fuel, and your car use race chip, it's easier way to kill engine.

If you care about car and warranty - avoid ANY boxes and tuning

p.s. OFC after installation you will not kill your engine or turbo immediately, but you kill it slowly

Last edited by TTR; 11-17-2019 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #14
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
I already had racechip on my 330d 5 years ago, it's should be still in my garage. I installed racechip and after 2 days - my clutch is gone and cars stop

If you are asking to me this question, thats mean you don't known how is the engine and turbo works, and mainly how this shit like tunning boxes works.

Also, u can put in google "bmw racechip problems" and found A LOT of topics about your question.

I am very like ppls. who don't care nothing, about their income, all ppl who suggest RaceChip using - they are selling this shit and earning big income, like 200-300% of the price for the commision.

It's just cheating ECU signals from various system, the ECU thiking like it's low boost or less angle and the ECU change angle of ignition or increasing boost. Your ECU working in abnormal mode...

RaceChip is the shitty box, for stupid ppl, the company earns a lot of money on stupid guys (perfect business model), who don't know anything about tuning and just wants to be little faster than stock and keep warranty

Imagine, if u put the wrong fuel, and your car use race chip, it's easier way to kill engine.

p.s. OFC after installation you will not kill your engine or turbo immediately, but you kill it slowly
Interesting. I do my own scratch tuning on 1500-2000hp twin turbo platforms. Not Can tunes like BM3, etc. Actually develop a scratch tune on a dyno with a zero basis with blank canvas software. But that is with GM based architecture, not BMW.

We do not use EGT much unless the power goes over 2000. But that is a very debatable topic. Some like EGT after 1500 and on every cylinder. Proper manifold design mitigates a lot of those issues.

On the BMW stuff, even though I own BM3 software, I don’t use it.

Too easy to buy a quality piggy for 50-60hp and forget it. Plus a flash is too detectable.

If any piggy keeps the boost parameters within the factory base hysteresis, EGT will not be a problem since the wideband will stay on the factory MAP and keep the AFR safe. Advance will also be kept in check.

Now go outside of the factory mapping.......you increase the chances of bad things happening.
Appreciate 1
TTR307.00
      11-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #15
TTR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Interesting. I do my own scratch tuning on 1500-2000hp twin turbo platforms. Not Can tunes like BM3, etc. Actually develop a scratch tune on a dyno with a zero basis with blank canvas software. But that is with GM based architecture, not BMW.

We do not use EGT much unless the power goes over 2000. But that is a very debatable topic. Some like EGT after 1500 and on every cylinder. Proper manifold design mitigates a lot of those issues.

On the BMW stuff, even though I own BM3 software, I don’t use it.

Too easy to buy a quality piggy for 50-60hp and forget it. Plus a flash is too detectable.

If any piggy keeps the boost parameters within the factory base hysteresis, EGT will not be a problem since the wideband will stay on the factory MAP and keep the AFR safe. Advance will also be kept in check.

Now go outside of the factory mapping.......you increase the chances of bad things happening.
If you do this kind of tune, ofc i am not competent to explain you smth, but we are talking about stock cars, not racing solutions.

Ofc EGT is not the main parametr in GAS car compare to the diesel, but for example all europe cars has a OPF filter, and it's really pain in the ass, and when u use racechip with OPF - you will increase EGT a lot, i mean any power increase on stock car with opf filter - is very very bad.

I never saw a god gain from the boxes like racechip, all cars with these boxes a little bit faster than stock, but nothing to compare normal flash
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #16
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_rgsport View Post
i have got racechip gts black installed for 2 weeks already.
Loved it.

with opf?
Yes, it's good to install racechip to increase a lot egt temperature and kill the engine and turbos
omg, 🤦*♂️
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #17
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:

If you care about car and warranty - avoid ANY boxes and tuning

quite a bold bunch of statements and clearly you have ill will toward them. You can search problems with burger tuning, problems with Dinan, problems with bootmod, and on and on. Pretty sure if this was a common theme, as you indicated they wouldn't be in business after all these years.
Appreciate 0