F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > OilTimer Skipped Ahead Too Far; Can it be rolled back?
ARMA SPEED

12-21-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
Chief_Bimmer_Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F34 328i GT

Question

Hi all, not sure what to do here.

I did an oil change as usual and I reset the oil timer in the dash. After the progress bar completed, it said reset failed.

I checked in the iDrive screen and it didn't change.

So I performed the reset again.

While the progress bar was going the second time, the iDrive updated (changed the date ahead ~6 months) for the first attempt. But the second reset completed before I could stop it.

The iDrive is now set out 12 months for the next due date.
How do I roll the date back? Can it be done in say Bimmercode or INPA?

I know it tracks oil health more dynamically than just time duration, but it will permanently be projecting the next change a year out if the reset is performed as normal at each oil change.

Worst case, I think, is to change the oil out at the next due date, but wait another six months after that (next oil change) to reset the oil timer. That makes me nervous.

Hopefully I'm not the first idiot to do this.
I did searching but couldn't find anything about rolling back the timer.
Thanks!

2015 F34 328i GT
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The reading shouldn't matter to you. Change your oil every spring, to get rid of the contaminants that build up over the winter. If you drive more than 10-12,000 miles a year, or even 8,000 if it's all in city driving, change it in the fall as well. I change mine end of March. If I drove enough I'd change it in late September as well, but I don't. I do change the filter in the fall, even though I don't change the oil, because for less than ten bucks and ten minutes work it's cheap insurance against engine wear. The only reason to do the interval reset is so you won't be looking at a dash message that says you need an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #3
Chief_Bimmer_Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The reading shouldn't matter to you. Change your oil every spring, to get rid of the contaminants that build up over the winter. If you drive more than 10-12,000 miles a year, or even 8,000 if it's all in city driving, change it in the fall as well. I change mine end of March. If I drove enough I'd change it in late September as well, but I don't. I do change the filter in the fall, even though I don't change the oil, because for less than ten bucks and ten minutes work it's cheap insurance against engine wear. The only reason to do the interval reset is so you won't be looking at a dash message that says you need an oil change.
Thanks Billfitz.

I do want to set it correctly if possible. It will drive me nuts seeing the false reading.

I am going to change the schedule. Changing oil in December in N.E. sux without a garage.

So to confirm, you're not aware of any way to rollback or specify the date?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The only way you'll see the false reading is to search for it in your vehicle information. If you don't do that you won't see it, so problem solved. By all means don't change oil in December. You want to change your oil after the cold weather passes. I don't know if you can roll the setting back, never tried it. But the standard interval is 12 months or 10k miles, whichever comes first, so I'd say your display is correct anyway. Change your oil again in late March or early April, do a reset, and it should go to 12 months again, but this time 12 months will be the following spring.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
Chief_Bimmer_Fan
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I don't like cold weather changes. I got the car used from the dealer last summer and the changes are on a June/December schedule.

From what I've found on changing it: the WERT (COU_RSTG_CBS_MESS_WERT) values can be manually altered per the e90 series. Comments noted BMW changed it so the settings can be changed without flashing the DME; so the risk is very low. I am sure there are equivalents in the F3x DME. I can also see the CBS_Konfiguration in the KOMBI module via expert mode of Bimmercode. Going any further is just more hassle then what it's worth.

It comes at a price to. Changing the settings manually will trigger a 'tampered' flag. All of this comes down to resale to a knowledgeable buyer. For example if sold to someone using the Carly app, it would most likely be found.

I'll just change it in June as scheduled without a CBS reset, then bring it to the dealer in Oct for them to change pre-maturely and ask them to reset the schedule.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You're referring to ISTA issues that only take place at the dealer level, and don't matter past warranty. None of that matters when adjusting your own schedule in iDrive. All a buyer needs to see is the receipts you save for oil, filter and any other items.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 05:20 PM   #7
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Servicing schedule can be changed in ista but is also dependant on what is coded in the DME.

I changed the servicing schedule in DME (I think also kombi and nbt or it's equivalent) from 24months/30k km to 12/15k km.

Then I used ista to fine tune. Meaning the max was now 12/15 when reset but I could use ista to further shorten the next service date/km.

I did this long time ago so cannot recall the exact steps but it can be done with ista. The coding part is just so when they reset at a service it resets to x/y of your choosing within the allowed werte/coding limits.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Isn't the oil change interval either X miles as determined by the sensor OR 12 months from the last service? That is how it was explained to me by two of my local dealerships.

Not long after I bought my '16 435 this summer it alerted me to being due for service, yet the mileage counter still indicated 2K miles. After talking to the dealerships and looking at the display I understood the meaning of the date and the mileage number which counts down to zero.

Maybe this is why you're seeing the 12 month figure and not six months? Just a shot in the dark. Not sure why it would show a 6-month date first and then change it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 12:57 PM   #9
Chief_Bimmer_Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Isn't the oil change interval either X miles as determined by the sensor OR 12 months from the last service? That is how it was explained to me by two of my local dealerships.

Not long after I bought my '16 435 this summer it alerted me to being due for service, yet the mileage counter still indicated 2K miles. After talking to the dealerships and looking at the display I understood the meaning of the date and the mileage number which counts down to zero.

Maybe this is why you're seeing the 12 month figure and not six months? Just a shot in the dark. Not sure why it would show a 6-month date first and then change it.
You are correct, it is either or. From reading, it measure the rpm ranges, time and distance to calculate the oil life. Interestingly I see two different dates in my system.

The iDrive is showing a date of 12 months out, but the cluster display is showing 8. Today is new years eve (12/31/19) and I change the oil a couple weeks ago, if that. (images attached). So why it has 8 months out in the cluster and 12 months in the iDrive, I dunno, whacky programming?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Hmmm. That is strange. Now I need to look at my displays and see what they say. The indicator on the gauges reflects the correct 12 month interval based on my oil change last month, but I'm curious what the maintenance screen in iDrive will say.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 05:21 PM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

They both show 8000 miles, so in that they're in agreement. The dash date is when the car has calculated that 8000 miles will elapse, iDrive shows 12 months from the latest oil change.
Appreciate 1