BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Automatic Climate Control

Can anyone tell me what the “auto” button activates when enabled? I know what it does in maintaining the set temperature, but reason I ask is when I activate auto, I get a distinct faint squeal that is not there when I disable it. I currently have a loaner X3 and it is nice and quiet when I enable the auto button so I’m just trying to determine what’s creating the squeal in mine. It’s not the fan as I’ve tried ramping it up and down when auto is off and on with no change to the intensity of the squeal. It only lasts until the car heats up and then disappears, but for the first 10 minutes or so, it’s annoying and I don’t know enough about the various components that the auto feature enables that might cause the squeal. Hoping one of you guys know.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
Fridge Doctor
Fridge Doctor
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01.

Could be air con compressor cutting in, if the drive belt is not tensioned correctly, when the drive clutch is energized it can cause a squeal until the compressor runs up.The a/cwill still run on heating dependent on humidity.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #3
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridge Doctor View Post
Could be air con compressor cutting in, if the drive belt is not tensioned correctly, when the drive clutch is energized it can cause a squeal until the compressor runs up.The a/cwill still run on heating dependent on humidity.
Thanks, I wondered that myself, but wouldn’t turning the AC button off confirm this? My AC button could be off and the Auto button on and I still get the squeal.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark View Post
Can anyone tell me what the “auto” button activates when enabled? I know what it does in maintaining the set temperature, but reason I ask is when I activate auto, I get a distinct faint squeal that is not there when I disable it. I currently have a loaner X3 and it is nice and quiet when I enable the auto button so I’m just trying to determine what’s creating the squeal in mine. It’s not the fan as I’ve tried ramping it up and down when auto is off and on with no change to the intensity of the squeal. It only lasts until the car heats up and then disappears, but for the first 10 minutes or so, it’s annoying and I don’t know enough about the various components that the auto feature enables that might cause the squeal. Hoping one of you guys know.
You should be able to test if it's associated with the A/C function, when not using Auto. With Auto off, cycle the A/C button on and off. No change, then it shouldn't be the A/C compressor circuit.

It could simply be where the internal flaps are set, during the Auto program warm up cycle. Does it change when you change the 'intensity' setting, when in the Auto mode?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #5
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
You should be able to test if it's associated with the A/C function, when not using Auto. With Auto off, cycle the A/C button on and off. No change, then it shouldn't be the A/C compressor circuit.

It could simply be where the internal flaps are set, during the Auto program warm up cycle. Does it change when you change the 'intensity' setting, when in the Auto mode?
I think our posts passed in cyberspace. See my last response regarding The AC button.

Regarding your comment on the intensity setting, I’m not sure if you mean intensity of the fan or temperature, but regardless, neither setting seems to change the squeal.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:10 AM   #6
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Got my X3 back and apparently they replaced the blower box located beneath the glove box. This is certainly where the chirping noise seemed to be coming from, but the unit they put in either has the same issue or it’s not coming from the unit they replaced. It sounds as though a dab of lubrication is all that would be required if I knew how to access it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:32 PM   #7
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark View Post
Got my X3 back and apparently they replaced the blower box located beneath the glove box. This is certainly where the chirping noise seemed to be coming from, but the unit they put in either has the same issue or it’s not coming from the unit they replaced. It sounds as though a dab of lubrication is all that would be required if I knew how to access it.
Correction: they replaced a lower vent duct, not the blower. This explains why I still hear the “chirp”.
Appreciate 0