F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Can dealer see coding was done if i revert changes?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
mckk
Rep
Drives: F32 430ix

Can dealer see coding was done if i revert changes?

Hello,

can dealer actually see that coding was done if I revert changes before doing car maintenance?

Are there any logs with timestamps or something like that?

Let's say I change some value from "0" to "1". Before visiting the dealer I change it back to "0". Is there a way to track that there was a modification done?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It's your car, if you code it's none of the dealer's business. Besides that they really don't care.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
archerz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Garage List
dont think they really care too much. mines under warranty still and done bimmercode coding and its remapped. never mentioned anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckk View Post
Hello,

can dealer actually see that coding was done if I revert changes before doing car maintenance?

Let's say I change some value from "0" to "1". Before visiting the dealer I change it back to "0". Is there a way to track that there was a modification done?
They will only care if you screw up the coding...ie expert mode... and F Up an ECU, and then try and get the dealer to fix it for free.

Otherwise.... nope.
      01-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #5
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Little note, It's nearly impossible to brick a module with coding, so even if you mess something up FDL coding (excluding flashing) you can always revert back to stock coding easily. That being said, FDL coding is harmless and cannot void any type of warranty that I can see. Vehicle order coding on the other hand can void warranty, their systems will see you've tampered with the vehicle order either adding a new one or removing it which I can 100% see cause issues. Also if you were to flash/update software on any module that can cause warranty issues. Standard FDL coding is fine.

As for dealers detecting coding, I'm sure if they dig they can see it was tampered with but it doesn't leave a flash count like updating software would leave. I'm not familiar with all their tech but in theory it could leave a trace even if you put it back to stock FDL coding. I wouldn't worry though, you'd have to go to a dick of a dealer for them to deny warranty because you have coding on the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:39 PM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Hello,

All memory keeps a record of how many times it's been written to.

If your flash count was whatever, 267 the last time your BMW was connected to ISTA and info sent to BMW and it's 356 the next time, they know it's been changed and it wasn't them.

Do they care?

In most instances, no.

If you have major issue costing $10,000 of warranty claim, you better believe they will care.
Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00
      01-21-2020, 07:56 PM   #7
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Hello,

If your flash count was whatever, 267 the last time your BMW was connected to ISTA and info sent to BMW and it's 356 the next time, they know it's been changed and it wasn't them.

Do they care?

In most instances, no.

If you have major issue costing $10,000 of warranty claim, you better believe they will care.
I don't believe standard FDL coding changes any flash counters, correct me if I'm wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Hello,

Do they care?

In most instances, no.

I don't believe standard FDL coding changes any flash counters, correct me if I'm wrong though.
Every write to memory increases a counter by 1
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:44 PM   #9
jsansom
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

When my car gets serviced would that wipe the coding as I am looking at trying to change a few things using the bimmertech app, but my car is due the big service in March so unsure if to wait until after that?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:53 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsansom View Post
When my car gets serviced would that wipe the coding as I am looking at trying to change a few things using the bimmertech app, but my car is due the big service in March so unsure if to wait until after that?
If the update istep or code a module, yes.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:52 AM   #11
jsansom
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

If I do code prior I will just write down what I have done then :>)
Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:28 AM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Depending on how old your software is a dealer update might render some items you've coded no longer available to code. I decided to forgo my last two no charge oil/filter changes rather than let the dealer mess with my software.
Appreciate 0