BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #1
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i x

X3M Ultimate Care + Plan

Can someone tell me if I got hosed on this Ultimate care + agreement?

They kept touting it as coverage for whatever the standard Ultimate Care plan doesn't cover....like brakes, wiper blades, and air filters. They were vague on maintenance, either on purpose or to sell me this plan. Brakes on this car look expensive. I have it leased for 3/36K miles so I was hesitant to pass because I have no idea how quick this thing will eat brakes. They said this plan will replace worn brakes and rotors at no cost to me. The cost for the plan was $700. So to me, it seemed like a good gamble. If anything, I could cancel in 60 days.

Usually I change my own brakes, but for $700 that seems pretty reasonable as decent rotors/pads for most of my previous cars still ran $300-400. Except my Tundra, from memory those were quite a bit more, around $600.

This is what is included with the car

All model year 2017 BMW vehicles and newer sold or leased by an authorized BMW center come with BMW Ultimate Care standard for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. Only the following maintenance items are included with BMW Ultimate Care when they are performed as outlined in the vehicle's Maintenance booklet:

Engine Oil
Engine Filter
Brake Fluid

Cabin Micro Filter(s)
Engine Air Filter(s)
Spark Plugs

Remote Control/Key Battery
Vehicle Check
Fuel Filter (Diesel engines only)

I can't find the "maintenance booklet" online, so no idea what the schedule even is.

So it looks like I am down to covering wiper blades and brakes.

▪ Replacement of specific wear-and-tear items such as brake pads, wiper blades and manual transmission clutch.
▪ Ultimate Care+ is transferable to a subsequent owner, should you sell your vehicle.

Now when I specifically asked finance guy if it covers just the pads, his response was "it is required to replace rotors when we do pads, it's all included".

This is my first BMW, but not my first performance vehicle. I know My HD ram still has half the brakes left @ 50K miles, with quite a bit of heavy towing. My Tundra needed new ones @ 40K. I have needed new pads on my SRT magnum @ 12K miles. What's typical on an M car? I assume closer to the 20K mark than 50K mile mark....?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
DonkSlimhammer
Rep
Drives: Deciding

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
Can someone tell me if I got hosed on this Ultimate care + agreement?

They kept touting it as coverage for whatever the standard Ultimate Care plan doesn't cover....like brakes, wiper blades, and air filters. They were vague on maintenance, either on purpose or to sell me this plan. Brakes on this car look expensive. I have it leased for 3/36K miles so I was hesitant to pass because I have no idea how quick this thing will eat brakes. They said this plan will replace worn brakes and rotors at no cost to me. The cost for the plan was $700. So to me, it seemed like a good gamble. If anything, I could cancel in 60 days.

Usually I change my own brakes, but for $700 that seems pretty reasonable as decent rotors/pads for most of my previous cars still ran $300-400. Except my Tundra, from memory those were quite a bit more, around $600.

This is what is included with the car

All model year 2017 BMW vehicles and newer sold or leased by an authorized BMW center come with BMW Ultimate Care standard for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. Only the following maintenance items are included with BMW Ultimate Care when they are performed as outlined in the vehicle's Maintenance booklet:

Engine Oil
Engine Filter
Brake Fluid

Cabin Micro Filter(s)
Engine Air Filter(s)
Spark Plugs

Remote Control/Key Battery
Vehicle Check
Fuel Filter (Diesel engines only)

I can't find the "maintenance booklet" online, so no idea what the schedule even is.

So it looks like I am down to covering wiper blades and brakes.

▪ Replacement of specific wear-and-tear items such as brake pads, wiper blades and manual transmission clutch.
▪ Ultimate Care+ is transferable to a subsequent owner, should you sell your vehicle.

Now when I specifically asked finance guy if it covers just the pads, his response was "it is required to replace rotors when we do pads, it's all included".

This is my first BMW, but not my first performance vehicle. I know My HD ram still has half the brakes left @ 50K miles, with quite a bit of heavy towing. My Tundra needed new ones @ 40K. I have needed new pads on my SRT magnum @ 12K miles. What's typical on an M car? I assume closer to the 20K mark than 50K mile mark....?
Check what your state rules are. I know in California you have 60 days to cancel this crap.

It's always hard at the end with the finance person especially if you've spent hours at the dealer and are tired and just want your ride... and they know that! "No thank you" is the answer to everything they ask or try to up sell you on. You're not the first and you won't be the last. Try to cancel it but most importantly enjoy your car and chalk it up to a learning experience
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
gregreed8313
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

I also purchased this package as my last car (2018 Audi S4) required pads and rotors all around at about 20k miles at a dealer cost of ~$2,000. I assume the X3M brakes wont last any longer and likely will cost more. For $700 at least I know that I won't have to worry about paying for brakes (or windshield wipers). Plus now I can push the brakes harder without feeling guilty
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkSlimhammer View Post
Check what your state rules are. I know in California you have 60 days to cancel this crap.

It's always hard at the end with the finance person especially if you've spent hours at the dealer and are tired and just want your ride... and they know that! "No thank you" is the answer to everything they ask or try to up sell you on. You're not the first and you won't be the last. Try to cancel it but most importantly enjoy your car and chalk it up to a learning experience
Usually I do pass on everything.

He tried to get me on a plan that "overlooked worn tires" and other things on my return lease. However, the way he worded it was like they would replace my tires if worn. When I pressed further, it turns out that they would only allow me to return the car with under the 3/32 allowable tire tread. I said I wouldn't be driving on a car with dangerous tread and I would likely be on my 2nd or 3rd set of tires at that point so it was useless.

I kept asking about extended warranty or pre-paid maintenance because I wasn't sure if I wanted to lease or finance. They kept side stepping the maintenance thing.

So I said F it. I'm gonna lease it like I did my SRT, beat the living snot out of it and give it back before repairs are on my dime

In IL I have 60 days to cancel any plans so I felt I would take the $700 plan and research it later.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
weitz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toronto Red X4M Competition

Garage List
No, $700 to cover brakes and rotors, etc is WELL worth it on the x3m/x4m, where it is almost certain you will have to replace them before your lease is up and will be well over $700 (M cars are ridiculously expensive). Personally, I drive the heck out of my BMWs, and always need brakes before the "suggested" scheduled time.

We in the US get a super good deal, regular maintenance like oil chance etc are free and for only $700, almost everything maintenance-wise is covered.

In the UK they have to buy a maintenance plan for $1000+ just to cover normal check ups and oil changes, etc. There is no "free maintenance" with the car. (as it's been posted in other forums)

So be happy with the $700, you will get that money back and more in costs before your lease is up.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

IMO it is money well spent
I buy it on all M cars
brakes these days last longer than they used to, obviously depending on driving habits, but for 36 k miles , this is very close call
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 06:00 PM   #7
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

For what it’s worth, I have a 2013 X6M, 106,000 km (65000 miles)....I am still on my first set of rotors.. second set of pads (Bosch ).

The front rotors are now at the change thickness, the rears are fine.

The brakes on these things are substantial, but as with any vehicle, how fast they wear is largely a measure of how the vehicle its driven.

Should you need pads the BMW stuff (Likely Jurid) is way overpriced so you would come out ahead...Rotors are replaced based on wear or some other issue, not because pads needed to be changed.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...6-799-964-M914

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...=BE71&DID=8013

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 02-10-2020 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I don't plan on tracking the car. I believe these brakes are the same size as the X5M which appears to be roughly 500 lbs more. It also appears that these brakes don't dust that much for a high performance pad. Perhaps they will outlive the lease.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #9
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
I don't plan on tracking the car. I believe these brakes are the same size as the X5M which appears to be roughly 500 lbs more. It also appears that these brakes don't dust that much for a high performance pad. Perhaps they will outlive the lease.
I have to disagree with the dust. My silver winter wheels are covered in days with very light braking.

It doesn’t show as much on the OEM wheels but they dust like crazy.
Appreciate 0