BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2020, 11:18 PM   #1
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Where are the Michelin PS4S?

Everywhere I look at dealer inventory, the OEM tires on X3M are the Continental SportContact 6 and virtually no PS4S to be found. Did BMW run out of Michelins? It's like 1 in 20 from what I see and I am really not interested in the Conti. I might have to order a car anyway but not too excited about the tire roulette game.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 05:37 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Everywhere I look at dealer inventory, the OEM tires on X3M are the Continental SportContact 6 and virtually no PS4S to be found. Did BMW run out of Michelins? It's like 1 in 20 from what I see and I am really not interested in the Conti. I might have to order a car anyway but not too excited about the tire roulette game.
Tire roulette - a very applicable description. Unfortunately, that's exactly what it is. My previously ordered BMW arrived with tires I did not want. 20K mile later preferred tires were cheerfully installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 06:46 AM   #3
eddieb4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12 Dinan 550xi / 01 911tt

The x3mc's that I looked at last week in the Chicagoland area had conti's on them while the one I picked up in Minneapolis on Saturday (DG / Tartufo & loaded) had 4S' on it. 17 degree morning temperatures so I had to be careful ... can't hammer it until first oil change anyway.
Awesome car and super happy that I went with it over a Q7 ... wifey lost out but she likes it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #4
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
I see on lots in southern California they now have Michelin.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #5
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

This is a German thing that I've always found so silly so beware of the following rant. You buy a Subaru STI with 19" wheels and every single one comes with Yokohama Advan Sports. Every single one. Buy a Civic Type R and every single one comes with Continental Sport Contact 6. Every single one. Buy a Mustang GT and every single one comes with Michelin PS4S. Every single one. When it comes to the German automakers they chassis tune a vehicle with a specific tire and deliver most of them to customers with a totally different tire. It's laughable that you pay a premium for the highest performing BMW SUV or car and have a better than 50% chance to get it with a tire that isn't the primary spec'd tire. I don't accept the excuses because the Japanese and domestic automakers never run into having to substitute tires for their vehicles. It's by far one of the most annoying parts of purchasing German performance cars that you have to cross your fingers and hope yours gets delivered with the real spec'd tires. Dumb and they should take more heat for this IMO.
Appreciate 1
Transfer5260.00
      03-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #6
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
This is a German thing that I've always found so silly so beware of the following rant. You buy a Subaru STI with 19" wheels and every single one comes with Yokohama Advan Sports. Every single one. Buy a Civic Type R and every single one comes with Continental Sport Contact 6. Every single one. Buy a Mustang GT and every single one comes with Michelin PS4S. Every single one. When it comes to the German automakers they chassis tune a vehicle with a specific tire and deliver most of them to customers with a totally different tire. It's laughable that you pay a premium for the highest performing BMW SUV or car and have a better than 50% chance to get it with a tire that isn't the primary spec'd tire. I don't accept the excuses because the Japanese and domestic automakers never run into having to substitute tires for their vehicles. It's by far one of the most annoying parts of purchasing German performance cars that you have to cross your fingers and hope yours gets delivered with the real spec'd tires. Dumb and they should take more heat for this IMO.
What you failed to realize is that BMW, Merc and others use tires with a marking that denotes them for the manufacturer. For instance BMW tires made by Conti and Mich are marked with a star on the side wall to denote star spec. The car companies you mentioned don't have a spec just for them so they can get away with off the shelf tires so to speak.

When you use a specific spec tire built just for your brand you need to have at minimum of 2 manufacturers lined up keep them honest in pricing and to ensure a production delay at either one will not affect your ability to produce cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
What you failed to realize is that BMW, Merc and others use tires with a marking that denotes them for the manufacturer. For instance BMW tires made by Conti and Mich are marked with a star on the side wall to denote star spec. The car companies you mentioned don't have a spec just for them so they can get away with off the shelf tires so to speak.

When you use a specific spec tire built just for your brand you need to have at minimum of 2 manufacturers lined up keep them honest in pricing and to ensure a production delay at either one will not affect your ability to produce cars.
I know for a fact (was an owner in that community for a time) that Pirelli had special versions of PZero made for Ford Mustangs and everyone got that tire. Hell Volkswagen was shipping Golf R's with any of three different tires whether they be PZero (the tire they used on all press cars), RE050, Contisportcontact 5P. The honest pricing thing sounds closer to the truth as it appears they are simply going with best price and availability for their on time delivery manufacturing schedules. It seems like Continental seems to be able to undercut and deliver compared to their rivals as that's what most VW owners were getting as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:36 AM   #8
SWOT1
The Hammock Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC, X3 M40i, E93 M3

Garage List
I insisted on the PS4S, or would not do the deal... vehicle came in with the Conti's. The dealership swapped them out with another X3MC for me. (Since I was planning, and did, swap the 265's to the front and added 295's to the rear, only the PS4S would work, and they are a superior tire.)

*probably 75% on the dealership lot had Conti's

- '20 X3MC | Alpine White | Black Alcantara/Midrand Beige | loaded | 295/265 PS4S
- '09 E93 M3 | Alpine White | Bamboo Beige Novillo | DCT | loaded | Chrome M220 Wheels - 275/255 PSS

Last edited by SWOT1; 03-02-2020 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:

Curious, if you replace your existing tires from day TireRack, are these spec’ed as an exact replacement with the star?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #10
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Curious, if you replace your existing tires from day TireRack, are these spec’ed as an exact replacement with the star?
Yes you can order both star spec and non-star spec. Your call.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #11
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes you can order both star spec and non-star spec. Your call.
Thanks. Is there a difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:18 PM   #12
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Is there a difference?
LOL well that is a loaded discussion and I'm sure the die hards will jump in here and blow it up... The secret sauce that goes into making the rubber compound is probably different, the tire mold could be different with slight sizing differences and maybe shape differences plus who knows what else. I'm sure some R&D went into making it different from the generic spec right?

Does it matter to you and I? For me absolutely not. Would I pay more for the star on the side wall absolutely not.

The caveat to that is if you lease they may be sticklers on you having to return the car with star spec tires. Also for the folks that have tire warranty/insurance, you may need to have star spec tires or they won't touch them.

Last edited by 2kaccordocoupe; 03-02-2020 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
Transfer
Major General
Rep

In 295 width I only see the Mercedes star PS4S so I wonder how that is different from BMW star.

I'll either plan to ask dealer to swap tires (if they even have one with PS4S) or replace them on my own and store the conti for lease turn in. I would just rather not drop $1600 for new tires on day one.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #14
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
In 295 width I only see the Mercedes star PS4S so I wonder how that is different from BMW star.

I'll either plan to ask dealer to swap tires (if they even have one with PS4S) or replace them on my own and store the conti for lease turn in. I would just rather not drop $1600 for new tires on day one.
BMW equips the 2020 X5 M Competition with a 295/35R21 front tire and a 315/30R22 rear tire. You should see a BMW star spec version available soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #15
spta97
Colonel
Rep

I’ve only gotten contis with my two ///M purchases.

I can’t say they were bad but I’ve never had the PS4S.

I wonder if the difference is still that great between the two? Anyone have evidence?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #16
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I wonder if the difference is still that great between the two? Anyone have evidence?
The general consensus is the conti's are shit compared to the michelins. Read the tire thread over in the m3/m4 forum and you will see
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 06:50 PM   #17
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I don't have experience with these Contis but I've had several set of PSS and PS4S and the PS4S is just phenomenal in virtually all conditions and measurements. PSS was good until PS4S blew it out of the water IMO. It's a really stellar street tire.
Appreciate 1
SWOT1492.50
      03-02-2020, 07:00 PM   #18
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
I’ve only gotten contis with my two ///M purchases. I can’t say they were bad but I’ve never had the PS4S. I wonder if the difference is still that great between the two? Anyone have evidence?
We have both versions on our X3MCs, exact same build except my wife's has the moonroof (hasn't been opened yet and likely never will). Cannot tell the difference between the tire Mnfrs in the ride comfort and handling, but that's just us. Suspect this is going to be a personal viewpoint, just like some think the suspension is too hard and we think its great.

Personally, I am biased for the Michelin brand only because I've had them over the years and their reputation for quality has been widely touted, but I wouldn't lose sleep over which one shows up on our next purchase in the X3M Series, the X3MCS (with the CFRP roof, light forged alloy wheels and 610HP - yes, I'm going to keep the thought going for M Division to consider ).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #19
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
They are always going to use the cheapest (in this case, Continental) tires they can, but they always have to have a tire supplier contract with at least one other tire manufacturer just in case the cheap guys have a supply problem.
And Michelin is usually the most expensive tire supplier.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #20
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
I've only gotten contis with my two ///M purchases. I can't say they were bad but I've never had the PS4S. I wonder if the difference is still that great between the two? Anyone have evidence?
We have both versions on our X3MCs, exact same build except my wife's has the moonroof (hasn't been opened yet and likely never will). Cannot tell the difference between the tire Mnfrs in the ride comfort and handling, but that's just us. Suspect this is going to be a personal viewpoint, just like some think the suspension is too hard and we think its great.

Personally, I am biased for the Michelin brand only because I've had them over the years and their reputation for quality has been widely touted, but I wouldn't lose sleep over which one shows up on our next purchase in the X3M Series, the X3MCS (with the CFRP roof, light forged alloy wheels and 610HP - yes, I'm going to keep the thought going for M Division to consider ).
I think climate makes a difference between these two. If you are in warmer/hot climates there is probably little difference on the street. Where I'm at temps are 40-70F 9 months out of the year and either 30F or 85F the other 3 so it's rarely hot. Temps can really affects tire life, traction, and road noise and the PS4S handles mild temps incredibly well.

I'm also sure the PS4S probably has better tread life and comfort as tread wears compared to the Conti but I don't have any proof about that.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 06:21 AM   #21
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think climate makes a difference between these two. If you are in warmer/hot climates there is probably little difference on the street. Where I'm at temps are 40-70F 9 months out of the year and either 30F or 85F the other 3 so it's rarely hot. Temps can really affects tire life, traction, and road noise and the PS4S handles mild temps incredibly well.

I'm also sure the PS4S probably has better tread life and comfort as tread wears compared to the Conti but I don't have any proof about that.
Funny you say that as back in my E46 days people said the contis lasted longer than the PS4S.

I really have to wonder how much of this is hype.

I have Michelins on my truck and have been very happy with them. The original contis that came with it were flat out dangerous.

I was worried when my E46 came with them but I have to say I was surprised at how well they handled. When it came time to replace the rears I put another set on as I didn’t feel it was worth replacing all 4 with PS4S.

I only had about a week on the contis on my X3MC before I put on the Pirelli Scorpions for winter. They were good except when it dropped below 50. I’ll see how they fair once temps warm up.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 06:26 AM   #22
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post

That’s great, real world, input!

Perhaps the difference (if any) is apparent in extreme conditions?

Or maybe I’m trying to make myself feel better because I got the contis

I have limited time on them but the contis were pretty impressive to me.
Appreciate 0