BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
drewfromthehou
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M40i

dealer damage

So my 2020 BMW X3 M40i was my dream car. I was so happy to get one fully loaded and so proud of my new beautiful car. I will skip over some of the other issues that brought me back into the dealership but the latest one was my ambient lighting starting to go out.

So I brought it in and a day later they call me to come back in to pick it up. When I get home I realize now that only 1/4 of the front lighting is working. So I call the dealership and they asked for pictures which I sent and they claim to be in touch with BMW to see how to fix it. Well today I go to open the door and cut the hell out of the back of my hand. I look and on both doors they repaired in the door handles are what look like the ends of screws coming through the door. (shown below) So I reach out the the dealer again and my first response was "that's normal" which is what they said about the ambient lighting hotspots too!

Anyone else seen screws in their door handles sharp enough to cut through skin?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #2
Toodalu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 & 19 X3

It seems to be a common mistake when they replace the ambient door light. I think they either mix up the screws or the new strip may require a smaller screw. I had the dealership take apart the door again to replace that plastic trim.
2022 M3 Competition XDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

I can't tell if you are seriously asking if exposed screws are normal .

Clearly not.

Just have the dealership show you another car same model.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfromthehou View Post
Well today I go to open the door and cut the hell out of the back of my hand. I look and on both doors they repaired in the door handles are what look like the ends of screws coming through the door. (shown below) So I reach out the the dealer again and my first response was "that's normal" which is what they said about the ambient lighting hotspots too!

Dude, this is such a travesty and I'm so sorry. I would let them know that you know they're trying, but it's not ok to say that exposed screw tips are normal. They need to make this and everything else with your ambient lighting right. Otherwise you're pretty much forced to escalate to BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
John26830
Private
Rep
Drives: 1968 Camaro SS

I looked at my20 and I don't even have any screws there, never mind I thought that was a screw head, definitely the dealer messed up
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #6
FREEDOM2020
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfromthehou View Post
So my 2020 BMW X3 M40i was my dream car. I was so happy to get one fully loaded and so proud of my new beautiful car. I will skip over some of the other issues that brought me back into the dealership but the latest one was my ambient lighting starting to go out.

So I brought it in and a day later they call me to come back in to pick it up. When I get home I realize now that only 1/4 of the front lighting is working. So I call the dealership and they asked for pictures which I sent and they claim to be in touch with BMW to see how to fix it. Well today I go to open the door and cut the hell out of the back of my hand. I look and on both doors they repaired in the door handles are what look like the ends of screws coming through the door. (shown below) So I reach out the the dealer again and my first response was "that's normal" which is what they said about the ambient lighting hotspots too!

I had the exact same issue with the screw. Dealer had to replace the piece where the light strips are not the whole door panel. You'll get new light strips just make sure they code it correctly for the colors, I had issues with mine and had to bring it back, was told it was something to do with the IP address in the ambient light system. Working fine now.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
drewfromthehou
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M40i

Thanks for the responses. Just an update from the Dealership.

They said they have to send photos to BMW NA and await a response as to how to fix this and if it's covered. SMH

Fingers crossed we can get this issue fixed but hearing other people had this issue and got a fix makes me hopeful!
Appreciate 0