BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
BootneckShuffle
Rep
Drives: X3

Newbie With Questions

Hi all

Coming over to BMW, hopefully the X3 20d M Sport. Coming from a Range Rover Velar nightmare of the last 12 months, won’t bore you with the details.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any advice for me on the X3, what’s options are worth adding/essential, which ones are a bit naff/not worth it etc? Also any feedback on colours, are some better than others etc.

Honestly, any helpful relevant info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #2
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
These are my thoughts, based on our NA X3 - unsure if North America options translate 100% to where you are:

So-so/skip options:
vented seats - in NA the ventilated seats are quite a bit less supportive
inductive charging - this is ok, but seems unreliable and my phone gets totally overheated by it

Stuff I'm glad I got:
factory tow package - this is a read pain to add later, so even if you want to just mount a bike carrier to me it's worth it
live cockpit pro - i thought this would be gimmicky, but I really like it. display is super clear and pretty customizable
HUD - another option that I didn't think I'd care about, but I rather like now. when I get into a car without it now I find myself missing it
Adaptive Cruise - kind of a must-have out here in the Western US, long boring stretches of expressway make it a must.

Color wise - check out the dark olive metallic. We ordered our car so we could get this color and the dealer and everyone else I've met can't stop talking about it. It was a roll of the dice, since we couldn't find one to look at in person,.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Welcome! Wondering if you are / former RM with your username.

My neighbour has a Velar. Lovely looking car, but he has had a lot of issues.

I would highly recommend adaptive suspension, think it's part of a pack now. Other things I would get are lumbar support, tinted windows, folding side mirrors, acoustic glass and upgraded speakers.

In terms of colours, I have phytonic blue. I like it. I also like white - think it suits the car.

Different views on pano roof. I have had issues with one years ago - so I avoid. Rattling was a nightmare.

Depending where you live and you are used to RR in winter, you may want to think about winter tyres.

Last point, the monthly costs between 20d and 30d aren't that much. I can recommend Tony a Lewis at BMW Heathrow for great prices. He delivered my M40i on a trailer to Glasgow as part of price.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #4
BootneckShuffle
Rep

@Rbrown

Correct, former RM

Thanks for the tips, just mocked up a build on the configurator for Alpine White, blacked out Grilled and trims, M Sport Plus Package, Privacy Glass, 21" Wheels, Black Interior with Blue Stitching, amongst other bells and whistles. Looks amazing.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2789.50
      03-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #5
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootneckShuffle View Post
@Rbrown

Correct, former RM

Thanks for the tips, just mocked up a build on the configurator for Alpine White, blacked out Grilled and trims, M Sport Plus Package, Privacy Glass, 21" Wheels, Black Interior with Blue Stitching, amongst other bells and whistles. Looks amazing.
Great.

Have a think about the 21" tyres. Mixed reviews on them - and can be expensive to replace. Have a look at tyreleader website to get a feel on prices. If you search by car model, you can choose different wheel sizes.

Few threads on them on this forum - have a quick look.

If you need Tony's contact details let me know. He is a no nonsense guy. Tell him what you and he gives his best price. Usually the best available!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
BootneckShuffle
Rep

@Rbrown

Cheers for the heads up, fully appreciate it, this is the kinda info I’m after.

So you think the 20s will suffice? Obviously could put the money saved elsewhere on the car too.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
asyvan
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i (MY19)

Garage List
Quote:
@Rbrown

Cheers for the heads up, fully appreciate it, this is the kinda info I’m after.

So you think the 20s will suffice? Obviously could put the money saved elsewhere on the car too.
I have the 20" as Winter but they would be perfect as summer as well. I just like the look of the 21" even better. But the 20" is no shame.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
BootneckShuffle
Rep

@asyvan

Looks awesome

No shame in those ya right
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 03:49 AM   #9
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
@Rbrown

Cheers for the heads up, fully appreciate it, this is the kinda info I'm after.

My summers are 20" and winters 19" (quite a few people on here are running the same ones). I have run flats on both sets. I find the ride on 19"s more comfortable and forgiving of road surfaces. The circumference of the 19s is same as 20s.

I've attached some pictures. 19" wheels not everyone's cup of tea - bit of a personal choice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 04:04 AM   #10
BootneckShuffle
Rep

@Rbrown
Gorgeous that mate
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2789.50
      03-15-2020, 04:07 AM   #11
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

+1 for M Sport plus and Phytonic blue. Adaptive cruise is brilliant for motorway driving. 20” alloys are great and tyres are half the price of the 21” RF ones. Don’t waste money on wireless charging, just plug in. I would have loved the sunroof but loads of complaints about them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Rbrown2789.50
      03-15-2020, 05:54 AM   #12
BootneckShuffle
Rep

@RedJon

Thanks for the input

Great info on the tyres there and wheels, think I will sack the 21s off and just opt for the 20s now.

Interesting about the sunroof, you're the second person I have heard say this.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2789.50
      03-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #13
Jcbmally
Started with nothing, still got most of it left.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Cupra Ateca 300ps 4drive

Quote:
@RedJon

Thanks for the input

Great info on the tyres there and wheels, think I will sack the 21s off and just opt for the 20s now.

Interesting about the sunroof, you're the second person I have heard say this.
Looks a great spec buddy, the folding mirrors and acoustic are standard now but I would make sure you get lumber support. Something the seats really need IMO.
      03-15-2020, 10:10 AM   #14
BootneckShuffle
Rep

@JCBmally

Thanks man

Good point about lumbar support and a few have mentioned it

What do you or others think about adding options? Is it better to add as a package or add individual? Is there a fine art to it?
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #15
Jcbmally
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
@JCBmally

Thanks man

Good point about lumbar support and a few have mentioned it

What do you or others think about adding options? Is it better to add as a package or add individual? Is there a fine art to it?
To be fair I always go for what I need. If its one thing in a pack that contains six items I'm not fussed about, then it usually stays out the spec. BUT some of the packs are quite good.
M-Sport pack is a good option, the standard brakes are ok but you feel a significant difference with the M-Sport brakes. Apart from that I usually pick specific items mate. The new one has a hell of a lot of standard kit and anything extra you need will be specific to your taste, hope I've help you a little mate lol.
      03-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #16
BootneckShuffle
Rep

@Jcbmally

100% help mate thanks very much

This is the type of thing am after, little tips, advice etc from current owners.

Just been looking at the Sophisto Grey there, love that colour, Mrs likes the Alpine too.

Been looking at photos of the Cognac interior, looks lovely but might be a bit too much for a guy in his 40s with a couple of kids eh ha ha.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #17
Jcbmally
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
@Jcbmally

100% help mate thanks very much

This is the type of thing am after, little tips, advice etc from current owners.

Just been looking at the Sophisto Grey there, love that colour, Mrs likes the Alpine too.

Been looking at photos of the Cognac interior, looks lovely but might be a bit too much for a guy in his 40s with a couple of kids eh ha ha.
40s, your a young pup lol. Over the years I have learned that it's about getting what you want and sod everyone else. Sophisto grey is nice as well as the white, but not as nice as the glacier silver but I am being biased
      03-15-2020, 04:32 PM   #18
BootneckShuffle
Rep

@Jcbmally

Wish I felt like a young pup 😂

Yeh, definitely lots to consider colour wise, I can see grey or white to be honest. We’ve always had white and never a complaint but might be nice to have a change, we’ll see.

Certainly in a better place now knowledge wise, thanks to everyone on here.
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2789.50
      03-15-2020, 05:55 PM   #19
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

20d vs 30d if yo can splash extra £££ go for 30d, do the test drive in both if available. If you after metallic paint on 20d is extra, anything above is included in price.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #20
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Bootneckshuffle, I'm curious about the problems you had with the Velar as it's a car I considered (briefly!), before getting an X3 recently.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #21
BootneckShuffle
Rep

@adam.b

I’m led to believe that the 20d has better fuel economy than the 30d, is this incorrect?

@satz

12 months of issues, door handles not popping out, door handles literally just falling off (yep, 2 of them), woeful software, loads of bugs with that, audio crackling, sounding like an old record player. Was in 9 times in 12 months. Beautiful to look at and beautiful to drive (when it’s working properly) but just far too many issues. Think there’s a reason why RR were voted most unreliable car 2019.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #22
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

Loads of thoughts on the 21’s my take is go for them if you prefer them. I have them and have no complaints. Looks good and ride is miles better than my F30 was on 19’s.

Re. Cost of tyre replacement. As chance would have it I got a pop rivet through my sidewall on Friday (only 2k miles from new!!!) - like for like Bridgestone Alenza £270 fitted.....certainly not ‘cheap’ but not double!
Appreciate 0