E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Closest sounding f1/v12/high-pitch exhaust?

03-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #1
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92

335i 2007 n54: Hey yall its my first post and Regardless of how many times people have asked this i want new opinions on what the title says: what exhaust has the closest sound to f1/v12/high-pitch sound. Before you say "it's impossible because etc" I know its a 6 cyclinder but there has to be something more high pitch than the rest. Not looking into straight pipe but more so a custom exhaust or aftermarket exhaust regardless if its illegal where I am in California.
Drop some suggestions id really appreciate and will reply back thankyou!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

WTF? Are you 12??

The pitch of the sound is a product of the number of cylinders, the rpm (and whether it's 2/4stroke etc)...no exhaust will change that. Only options are to raise the rev limiter (a lot), or add more cylinders. Good luck with either of those!
Appreciate 3
      03-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #3
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
WTF? Are you 12??

The pitch of the sound is a product of the number of cylinders, the rpm (and whether it's 2/4stroke etc)...no exhaust will change that. Only options are to raise the rev limiter, or add more cylinders. Good luck with either of those!
Like I said "I know its not 12 cylinders" i want to know whats the Closest sounding exhaust to the high pitch of a 12 cylinder no matter How far off it is lol thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:18 PM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Did you read my whole reply? The exhaust doesn't change the pitch of the sound. End of. The scream of older f1 cars that you're referring to is caused by engines with many cylinders revving very high. Neither of which is attainable to you.

Over and out.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2020, 05:20 PM   #5
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyAsf27 View Post
Like I said "I know its not 12 cylinders" i want to know whats the Closest sounding exhaust to the high pitch of a 12 cylinder no matter How far off it is lol thanks
You are asking how to defy physics. What you want is a core property of how the engine is built and configured. No exhaust can change that.

Would be nice though, thats for sure
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2020, 05:25 PM   #6
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Downpipes and straight piped. Drive a manual or manual shift mode, get xHP stage 2 minimum so the auto-trans doesn't auto shift, and drive in the mid to high rev range. Car turns heads and sounds as close as its going to get to an F1 sound.

It's when these cars drives in the low range that you get that annoying coughing rasp sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:26 PM   #7
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Did you read my whole reply? The exhaust doesn't change the pitch of the sound. End of. The scream of older f1 cars that you're referring to is caused by engines with many cylinders revving very high. Neither of which is attainable to you.

Over and out.
Yes of course i read your reply man but i already know its not a v12 and at the same time there are exhausts that sound either deeper, high pitched, quiet, etc with different exhausts setups, so actually the exhaust does do something with the pitch noise or tone lol we both know this already and you know what im trying to ask dont give a hard time man but thankyou for your responses!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
Downpipes and straight piped. Drive a manual or manual shift mode, get xHP stage 2 minimum so the auto-trans doesn't auto shift, and drive in the mid to high rev range. Car turns heads and sounds as close as its going to get to an F1 sound.

It's when these cars drives in the low range that you get that annoying coughing rasp sound.
This is the type of responses im looking for lol thankyou man! And in my opinion I heard how straight pipe/catless Downpipes sound and its too obnoxious for me haha plus!! I ilive in California so id be signing up for a ticket/fix it ticket lol. But yea Im kinda looking for either a custom exhaust or After market exhaust I heard AE exhaust and thats my first option as of now its high pitched.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

You need kittyless dp to get any type of loud/high pitched sounding exhaust. My kittyless dp and Eisenmann Race exhaust is pretty high pitched when winding it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #10
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
This is the type of responses im looking for lol thankyou man! And in my opinion I heard how straight pipe/catless Downpipes sound and its too obnoxious for me haha plus!! I ilive in California so id be signing up for a ticket/fix it ticket lol. But yea Im kinda looking for either a custom exhaust or After market exhaust I heard AE exhaust and thats my first option as of now its high pitched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
You need kittyless dp to get any type of loud/high pitched sounding exhaust. My kittyless dp and Eisenmann Race exhaust is pretty high pitched when winding it out.
OP states he lives in cali and seems to want to avoid trouble with a catless setup

But, OP he is right about needing catless for higher pitch. Our cars have 2 cats and a muffler. And a resonator if you have an e90.

You should be okay with just a primary cat removal. You will still fail smog though, so you can either install a DP fix, or pay a lil extra to pass
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #11
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky0u View Post
Quote:
Quote:
OP states he lives in cali and seems to want to avoid trouble with a catless setup

But, OP he is right about needing catless for higher pitch. Our cars have 2 cats and a muffler. And a resonator if you have an e90.

You should be okay with just a primary cat removal. You will still fail smog though, so you can either install a DP fix, or pay a lil extra to pass
as long as its not straight piped because thats like loud from miles away. Yes I will definitely 100% buy catless downpipes because I want to mod the car heavily in the future, thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:56 PM   #12
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I will definitely get kittyless downpipes haha and yess ive heard that exhaust in videos but it sounds a bit deep but then again im sure your right about high pitched, do you have videos of it? and how loud is it compared to stock?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 06:35 PM   #13
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Twin Turbo N54s typically sound like shit compared to other platforms. If you go catless and straight piped your car will sound like a clapped out Civic at anything other than full throttle.

You are much better looking at options that include resonators/mufflers for a better all around sound.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #14
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM98 View Post
Twin Turbo N54s typically sound like shit compared to other platforms. If you go catless and straight piped your car will sound like a clapped out Civic at anything other than full throttle.

You are much better looking at options that include resonators/mufflers for a better all around sound.
Agreed lmao, Yea i kinda have in mind a setup with catback exhaust and catless downpipes but just dont know which exhaust system to buy and i want one thats high pitched sound or atleast something like a v8 sound
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 07:17 PM   #15
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The Eisenmann Race has a deep rumble when cruising and in low RPM's, but when you're WOT it's much more high pitched. I don't have any videos, I have tried but they don't sound very good since I don't have an external mic. It is pretty loud compared to stock, especially at cruising rpm's before the engine/exhaust is warm.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #16
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The Eisenmann Race has a deep rumble when cruising and in low RPM's, but when you're WOT it's much more high pitched. I don't have any videos, I have tried but they don't sound very good since I don't have an external mic. It is pretty loud compared to stock, especially at cruising rpm's before the engine/exhaust is warm.
Ill look more into it, you know if its legal in California?
Also I saw a video of Vrsf exhaust with a resonator put into it and it sounds mean but i cant tell how loud it is. Heres the link to that
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 07:26 PM   #17
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The Eisenmann Race axle back? It's legal, as long as your car is muffled it's legal in CA, unless you mean from a db level point of view then no. But I have had this setup for years now and even when the CA exhaust sound level thing blew up at the beginning of last year I never had a cop pull me over for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:27 PM   #18
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The Eisenmann Race axle back? It's legal, as long as your car is muffled it's legal in CA, unless you mean from a db level point of view then no. But I have had this setup for years now and even when the CA exhaust sound level thing blew up at the beginning of last year I never had a cop pull me over for it.
Im stuck between that one or i might go with vrsf street bro , but i think the street is too quiet ive heard even with cat delete
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:40 PM   #19
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Im stuck between that one or i might go with vrsf street bro , but i think the street is too quiet ive heard even with cat delete
This might help possibly.

Eisenmann was the original e9x exhaust system I fell in love with when the 335i first came out.

Lately I've been looking to do the DIY PE mod using my stock mufflers as well as a primary cat delete
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2020, 08:58 PM   #20
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky0u View Post
Quote:
This might help possibly.

Eisenmann was the original e9x exhaust system I fell in love with when the 335i first came out.

Lately I've been looking to do the DIY PE mod using my stock mufflers as well as a primary cat delete
It sounds really good the tone but whats holding me back is that it also sounds like the muffler is really blocking off that natural engine sound i love it feels like the car cant breathe or something compared to other exhaust systems ive seen, that video i put up where it shows a resonator sounds crazy loud but the car sounds so natural like it can actually breathe, but then again that one has no mufflers so. The video part is at minute 5:01
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:32 PM   #21
Midwest_Xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

The N54 wirh stock Turbos sounds like crap regardless.
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2020, 09:32 PM   #22
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The Eisenmann race version is practically straight through mufflers. The way the piping is it goes straight through the muffler and out into the tips, with openings to divert some sound waves through the actual "muffler" but pretty much almost straight pipes. I think that video is either the sport version or they have catted down pipes on the car.
Appreciate 0