BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-21-2020, 03:18 PM   #1
Koturbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Feedback on lowering spring install

Putting this to the community. I received my H&R springs and I’m preparing to get them installed. I’ve contacted three different performance shops that have provided wildly different feedback. The first shop, Mworks garage, a local BMW tuner, quoted me roughly $400 for the install. Seemed like a solid deal, but they are several miles from where I live, so checked with another shop that’s closer and has worked on all my P-cars and they quoted me $1400! When I said that another shop quoted less than half that, they basically said that’s impossible and told me the job was EXTREMELY involved due to the active suspension and “associated reprogramming” needed. Finally, another shop refused the job stating that because of the active suspension they couldn’t do it and said they don’t have the needed tools to “reprogram” the car after the install, and that ONLY BMW has that equipment.

I’m very curious here. I’ve had lowering springs installed on other Active suspension cars with no issue. I Had no idea there was reprogram needed and hadn’t seen any other comments on that via any forum on the subject. That said I don’t want to take it in to the shop that quoted lower, and have them install without knowing that there’s more to the job.

Am I missing something here? Does the car require extensive work beyond the spring install and alignment?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 04:39 PM   #2
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

I was quoted about $800-1000 for install and alignment. I don't remember if it was $200 or $250 per wheel (the way I thought of it in my head).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I fitted my h&r springs myself. No issues car looks and drives better. No coding done
Appreciate 0