E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil leak from pan or turbo?

04-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
Qasimateen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Oil leak from pan or turbo?

So I've been having a minor leak (not dripping leak, just a mess of oil) under my engine. I have always assumed it was from the oil pan. I took it to my guy and he says that he sees oil all underneath the engine and can't tell if it's from the pan or the turbos. He said there is oil towards the back near the transmission but also there's oil around the front of the engine, all underneath. He suggests me to get my engine cleaned up so we can fully diagnose where the oil leak is coming from.

Is it more common for oil to leak from turbos rather than pan?
I was hoping it's just the pan since turbos are expensive and I have already changed my turbo years ago through the 8year/100k mile warranty bmw offered.

Suggestions??
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:19 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qasimateen View Post
So I've been having a minor leak (not dripping leak, just a mess of oil) under my engine. I have always assumed it was from the oil pan. I took it to my guy and he says that he sees oil all underneath the engine and can't tell if it's from the pan or the turbos. He said there is oil towards the back near the transmission but also there's oil around the front of the engine, all underneath. He suggests me to get my engine cleaned up so we can fully diagnose where the oil leak is coming from.

Is it more common for oil to leak from turbos rather than pan?
I was hoping it's just the pan since turbos are expensive and I have already changed my turbo years ago through the 8year/100k mile warranty bmw offered.

Suggestions??
Turbos won't leak oil like that.

Put the car up on all four jack stands.

Clean up the oil with some brake cleaner & a rag.

Put a Dye in the oil.

Let the engine run and see if you can find out where it's leaking from.

You might have a valve cover leak. You could have both an oil pan & a valve cover. Look at the front of the engine by the main crank. Make sure your crank seal isn't leaking. You'll see a crap ton of oil & dirt my the crank pulley.

Take a telescopic mirror with an LED light on it & look behind the valve cover on the firewall side. It leaks there a lot of times.

With the engine off, put your finger in the hole in the transmission casing where the trans meets the engine, underneath the car. If you feel oil in there by the flywheel, you might have a RMS leak vs an oil pan leak.

How's your PCV valve & breather hose? If they went bad, that can cause excessive pressure in the system and result in a Valve cover leak and RMS leak.
Appreciate 0