F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help with Logs Please
ARMA SPEED

04-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #1
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

Help with Logs Please

Been opening my logs up in CSV files and reading them that way. Easier to understand but still I'm no expert. Not sure the logs were done right. BM3 auto logging made this 100x easier

DSC completely off. (10sec hold)
Manual Gear Selection
Started at 2500

3rd Gear:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e9a...729b04ce73337f

4th Gear:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e9a...0b43471bdc72bb

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #2
Fudz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 435I 8speed

What is your engine spec and map?

Ignition is a bit haywire on the 4th gear pull, There's a knock event and a throttle closure .
High pressure pump is fine, boost is good vs requested.

I think you need better fuel or a bump in Octane/ switch to a 91 map

3rd gear is even weirder
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudz View Post
What is your engine spec and map?

Ignition is a bit haywire on the 4th gear pull, There's a knock event and a throttle closure .
High pressure pump is fine, boost is good vs requested.

I think you need better fuel or a bump in Octane/ switch to a 91 map

3rd gear is even weirder
2015 N55. What do you mean by weirder?
What could cause a knock?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
Fudz
Private
Rep

is it a stock motor ?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 02:04 PM   #5
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
is it a stock motor ?
Honestly not sure what you mean by that? Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
Fudz
Private
Rep

have you done any mods?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
have you done any mods?
Oh yea. My bad. I thought the logs indicated i was running stage 2 93oct

I'm FBO. In addition to having a Turbosmart plumb back bov, pure turbo inlet and an Xdi-35 hpfp.

Do you think a BMS pedal tuner may cause knock or the weird readings your seeing? I have it on the second pedal sensitivity setting (Green light).
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 03:12 PM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKH 5 View Post
Oh yea. My bad. I thought the logs indicated i was running stage 2 93oct

I'm FBO. In addition to having a Turbosmart plumb back bov, pure turbo inlet and an Xdi-35 hpfp.

Do you think a BMS pedal tuner may cause knock or the weird readings your seeing? I have it on the second pedal sensitivity setting (Green light).
What's the point of the pedal tuner? To change throttle sensitivity or something? Honestly i would just remove that to eliminate it as a variable.

I looked at the 4th gear log and there are numerous throttle closures early on in the pull, likely a result of the overboosting. What BM3 version is this, 7.1? I saw a lot of people having issues like that on the previous versions (after 6.4).

IATs also rise to over 100F by the end of the pull, which is surprising if you have an IC.

There are also some weird "bumps" in RPM such as right around 6400 rpm. Did you physically hit a bump during the pull?

It also looks like you have a lot of timing pulled up top, down to about 6 degrees. I would definitely flash to the 91 octane tune. (Timing is particularly low after the knock, which was likely a result of too much timing for your octane).
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      04-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #9
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
What's the point of the pedal tuner? To change throttle sensitivity or something? Honestly i would just remove that to eliminate it as a variable.

I looked at the 4th gear log and there are numerous throttle closures early on in the pull, likely a result of the overboosting. What BM3 version is this, 7.1? I saw a lot of people having issues like that on the previous versions (after 6.4).

IATs also rise to over 100F by the end of the pull, which is surprising if you have an IC.

There are also some weird "bumps" in RPM such as right around 6400 rpm. Did you physically hit a bump during the pull?

It also looks like you have a lot of timing pulled up top, down to about 6 degrees. I would definitely flash to the 91 octane tune. (Timing is particularly low after the knock, which was likely a result of too much timing for your octane).
I appreciate you taking a look!

Yes. Point of the pedal tuner is exactly that. Completely removes the initial throttle lag and makes the pedal sensitive. Im going to put it on the stock setting and take another log.

Currently on BM3 version 7.1. I'll try and log again on 6.4. Also, i do have an intercooler. The turner motorsports black stepped intercooler. Worth noting the 4th gear log was the very last log i took, after about 6-8 attempts. Still weird IAT's would rise so high. Completely overlooked that.

I may have hit a bump. Not sure really. I made sure to drive slowly first along the path i would be taking to log making sure to check for rocks, pebbles, random debris etc. (abandoned Air Field). Didn't notice any bumps or major dips in the road. Going to check again when i go back to log.

Thought NY pump gas was suppose to be really good. Didn't think i would run into knock issues or timing problems. I did fill up my last tank at a station that probably doesn't get too much traffic and could have poor octane 93. I'll make sure to visit my regular station.

Would you advise trying Stage 2 6.4 93 first or straight to 7.1 91. If you can, and don't mind, how does changing to a 91 map on 93 pump gas affect timing? Im a novice.

Do you think this is something a custom map would fix? Or should i have better logs first before moving to a custom map/tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 01:01 PM   #10
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Yes. Point of the pedal tuner is exactly that. Completely removes the initial throttle lag and makes the pedal sensitive. Im going to put it on the stock setting and take another log.

Currently on BM3 version 7.1. I'll try and log again on 6.4. Also, i do have an intercooler. The turner motorsports black stepped intercooler. Worth noting the 4th gear log was the very last log i took, after about 6-8 attempts. Still weird IAT's would rise so high. Completely overlooked that.

I may have hit a bump. Not sure really. I made sure to drive slowly first along the path i would be taking to log making sure to check for rocks, pebbles, random debris etc. (abandoned Air Field). Didn't notice any bumps or major dips in the road. Going to check again when i go back to log.

Thought NY pump gas was suppose to be really good. Didn't think i would run into knock issues or timing problems. I did fill up my last tank at a station that probably doesn't get too much traffic and could have poor octane 93. I'll make sure to visit my regular station.

Would you advise trying Stage 2 6.4 93 first or straight to 7.1 91. If you can, and don't mind, how does changing to a 91 map on 93 pump gas affect timing? Im a novice.

Do you think this is something a custom map would fix? Or should i have better logs first before moving to a custom map/tune?
I can't imagine you would want/need the pedal even more sensitive than it is with stage 2/+ tunes... but ok. Most people want to go the other direction with linear throttle mapping.

Yeah might as well try 6.4 if you have it, i think that was the most universally "stable" map before 7.1. It definitely looks like a bump where the wheels lost traction for a second. If you were 6MT i would have been concerned with a slipping clutch or something, but i suspect it was just the road surface. I have seen similar things in my logs, even if it doesnt seem like you lost traction.

The order doesnt really matter i dont think, but if you are already on 7.1, just try the 91 7.1 tune. Generally speaking the lower octane maps will run less aggressive timing. So you may not target as high of a timing value of up, but you may end up with cleaner timing overall because you are not targeting more than your fuel can handle, resulting in timing being pulled. Ideally you would get more consistent timing (and this power). I doubt you would feel the difference in butt dyno. It's always fine to run a lower octane map than the octane of your fuel, but you never want to do the opposite.

A custom map is always going to be limited by the octane of your fuel, and of course your hardware. You might still be able to make more power with a custom map than a OTS map, but you need to make sure you have no hardware issues first. With a XDI-35, any real gains from a custom tune are only going to be possible if you start mixing ethanol. If you are going to stick with 91/93, the gains from a custom tune over OTS are probably going to be pretty small.

EDIT: I would also add that i have found with MHD, i need to drive the car up to 50 miles after changing the tune in order for it to fully "adapt" to the change. This includes having horrible timing right after a flash that cleans up after driving for a bit on the same fuel, etc.
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      04-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #11
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I can't imagine you would want/need the pedal even more sensitive than it is with stage 2/+ tunes... but ok. Most people want to go the other direction with linear throttle mapping.

Yeah might as well try 6.4 if you have it, i think that was the most universally "stable" map because 7.1. It definitely looks like a bump where the wheels lost traction for a second. If you were 6MT i would have been concerned with a slipping clutch or something, but i suspect it was just the road surface. I have seen similar things in my logs, even if it doesnt seem like you lost traction.

The order doesnt really matter i dont think, but if you are already on 7.1, just try the 91 7.1 tune. Generally speaking the lower octane maps will run less aggressive timing. So you may not target as high of a timing value of up, but you may end up with cleaner timing overall because you are not targeting more than your fuel can handle, resulting in timing being pulled. Ideally you would get more consistent timing (and this power). I doubt you would feel the difference in butt dyno. It's always fine to run a lower octane map than the octane of your fuel, but you never want to do the opposite.

A custom map is always going to be limited by the octane of your fuel, and of course your hardware. You might still be able to make more power with a custom map than a OTS map, but you need to make sure you have no hardware issues first. With a XDI-35, any real gains from a custom tune are only going to be possible if you start mixing ethanol. If you are going to stick with 91/93, the gains from a custom tune over OTS are probably going to be pretty small.
Funny, the pedal tuner was from my last car 328i. Ended up being a total lost so i had the part laying around and figured why not use it. Driving around today in sport mode with the pedal tuner on stock mapping and i can see now its not needed.

Did a little research and found exactly what you said. The OTS maps, being that its made for such a broad spectrum of vehicles, probably has really aggressive timing around the higher rpms. May not work the same or be stable for everyones car. For whatever reason, the last the pump gas i filled up with was terrible and I think that contributed a lot. Either way wont be getting gas in the bronx anymore lol.

I read BMW DIY Guy was making around 420-440WHP(cary jordan tune) on 93oct which would be more than suitable for me. No E mixes or meth etc. If the stage 2 OTS maps are pushing around 370-380 a custom tune would be a huge jump for me personally.

Going to flash Stage 2 7.1 91oct and try logging again. Then maybe 6.4.

Edit:I actually re-flashed the car the morning of. Also pushed the car pretty hard before logging.

Last edited by MAKH 5; 04-20-2020 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #12
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Funny, the pedal tuner was from my last car 328i. Ended up being a total lost so i had the part laying around and figured why not use it. Driving around today in sport mode with the pedal tuner on stock mapping and i can see now its not needed.

Did a little research and found exactly what you said. The OTS maps, being that its made for such a broad spectrum of vehicles, probably has really aggressive timing around the higher rpms. May not work the same or be stable for everyones car. For whatever reason, the last the pump gas i filled up with was terrible and I think that contributed a lot. Either way wont be getting gas in the bronx anymore lol.

I read BMW DIY Guy was making around 420-440WHP(cary jordan tune) on 93oct which would be more than suitable for me. No E mixes or meth etc. If the stage 2 OTS maps are pushing around 370-380 a custom tune would be a huge jump for me personally.

Edit:I actually re-flashed the car the morning of. Also pushed the car pretty hard before logging.
He was making that power with an upgraded HPFP FYI
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #13
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, i remember his results being posted a while back. I think anything over 400 is impressive for a 93 pump gas tune with no ethanol or WMI. Dyno numbers are somewhat meaningless between different cars, conditions, etc, but there are certainly gains to be had with a custom tune.

Cool, post up some 7.1 91 and/or 6.4 logs when you have them. 2 good logs of each is sufficient, you don't need to log or do like 4-8 pulls really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
He said he has a XDI-35
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      04-21-2020, 01:57 AM   #14
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, i remember his results being posted a while back. I think anything over 400 is impressive for a 93 pump gas tune with no ethanol or WMI. Dyno numbers are somewhat meaningless between different cars, conditions, etc, but there are certainly gains to be had with a custom tune.

Cool, post up some 7.1 91 and/or 6.4 logs when you have them. 2 good logs of each is sufficient, you don't need to log or do like 4-8 pulls really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
He said he has a XDI-35
"So make sure you get a good 4th gear pull (for 8AT, 3rd if 6MT) from 2500-6500 rpm, DSC off, flat road, no bumps, WOT the entire time (dont roll into it just floor it). Then do a 1st to top of 4th log also, same idea. Start log --> floor it --> stop log a second or two after letting off. "

Just saw this in another thread.

Im rolling the car to 2500rpm and then flooring it. Also stopped the log 3 seconds after pedal let off.

Do you hold the brake while reving to 2500rpm and then floor it? Wish someone made a step by step logging tutorial. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #15
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

He said he has a XDI-35
7.1 91 OCTANE 4TH GEAR LOG

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e9f...90c63d22898a30

6.4 93 OCTANE 4TH GEAR LOG

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e9f...729b4783a9956f

So 7.1 is just not compatible with my car. Logs look worse than the 93 if I'm reading them correctly. 6.4 seems to be the sweet spot. At the vey least, no knocks. Timing seems to be good as well.

Last edited by MAKH 5; 04-21-2020 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #16
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
7.1 91 OCTANE 4TH GEAR LOG

6.4 93 OCTANE 4TH GEAR LOG

So 7.1 is just not compatible with my car. Logs look worse than the 93 if I'm reading them correctly. 6.4 seems to be the sweet spot. At the vey least, no knocks. Timing seems to be good as well.
For some reason these links are working for me. Just takes me to a blank BM3 screen. It might be the "..." truncating the URL.

Also, i would recommend getting virtual dyno and putting these logs in there to see how they compare. It should give you a nice visual representation/comparison of about how much power each is making. Should be pretty accurate assuming these were all done on the same road and similar conditions.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:24 AM   #17
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For some reason these links are working for me. Just takes me to a blank BM3 screen. It might be the "..." truncating the URL.

Also, i would recommend getting virtual dyno and putting these logs in there to see how they compare. It should give you a nice visual representation/comparison of about how much power each is making. Should be pretty accurate assuming these were all done on the same road and similar conditions.
Just updated the links in the post above.

Guess i'll just drop them here:

7.1 91 OCTANE

6.4 93 OCTANE

i'll check virtual dyno out now.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #18
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

6.4 was the 6th and final log taken. Also drove the car very spiritedly on the way to my logging location. Should be why IAT's are so high right?

On the drive home, with no change in driving style and while on 6.4, IATs stood between 79-82. IT was 54-56 outside.

EDIT: After the 5th Log on 7.1 91 OCTANE. immediately flashed 6.4 and took the final log.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 12:35 PM   #19
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

You have a huge throttle closure in the 7.1 log. Just one this time (compared with multiple in the 93 one from before), but it is a big one. I think you would have felt that in the car. It's like due to the overboost. I think this is a common thing other people were reporting on 7.x versions, although i thought 7.1 fixed it for most people. Timing is not very clean on the 91 log either. Theres 3 degrees of difference between cylinders in several places, sometimes more. What plugs are you using and how many miles on them?

I would probably send both the 7.1 93 and the 91 logs to PTF and ask them if they look OK.

I am still very surprised with your IATs. Not only the actual temp but how much it rises during a pull. I just looked back at some of my logs to confirm and my IATs are usually <10F higher than ambient temp, and over the course of a 4th gear pull, they increase by <5F. https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/4...0&data=4-13-25

In your pulls, IATs rise by like 20F, and start significantly above ambient temp.

Timing is all over the place in the 6.4 log as well, but you dont have a throttle closure.
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      04-21-2020, 12:50 PM   #20
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have a huge throttle closure in the 7.1 log. Just one this time (compared with multiple in the 93 one from before), but it is a big one. I think you would have felt that in the car. It's like due to the overboost. I think this is a common thing other people were reporting on 7.x versions, although i thought 7.1 fixed it for most people. Timing is not very clean on the 91 log either. Theres 3 degrees of difference between cylinders in several places, sometimes more. What plugs are you using and how many miles on them?

I would probably send both the 7.1 93 and the 91 logs to PTF and ask them if they look OK.

I am still very surprised with your IATs. Not only the actual temp but how much it rises during a pull. I just looked back at some of my logs to confirm and my IATs are usually <10F higher than ambient temp, and over the course of a 4th gear pull, they increase by <5F. https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/4...0&data=4-13-25

In your pulls, IATs rise by like 20F, and start significantly above ambient temp.

Timing is all over the place in the 6.4 log as well, but you dont have a throttle closure.
NGK recommended plugs gapped at .022. Had them installed by kies for about 6-7000 miles now.

What causes throttle closure and where can i look for evidence of that in the log? Could it be anything I'm doing wrong during the pull? I cant say i felt anything abnormal during the pull. Also, what symptoms occur during a throttle closure that i would notice while driving?

What intercooler do you have installed? Im starting to regret purchasing the one i got from turner motorsports.

Going to send the logs to PTF lol. This is nuts.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #21
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I distinctly remember letting off the pedal slightly in the 7.1 log somewhere around 4500-5000rpm and then kicked it back down (felt the pedal click) immediately to full throttle. Made sure to not do that while taking the 6.4 log. Could that cause throttle closure?

Im looking around on the forums for throttle closure causes and explanations. I feel lost at this point. Waiting on PTF to respond as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #22
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
NGK recommended plugs gapped at .022. Had them installed by kies for about 6-7000 miles now.

What causes throttle closure and where can i look for evidence of that in the log? Could it be anything I'm doing wrong during the pull? I cant say i felt anything abnormal during the pull. Also, what symptoms occur during a throttle closure that i would notice while driving?

What intercooler do you have installed? Im starting to regret purchasing the one i got from turner motorsports.

Going to send the logs to PTF lol. This is nuts.
Look at throttle angle versus accelerator pedal position in the logs. accel pedal is your foot, throttle angle is the actual angle of the throttle body. You did not lift in the 7.1 log according to accel pedal. Throttle closes to only 40-50% from 3400-4100 in the 7.1 log. You can see that it closes right as you start to overboost. This is typically what causes throttle closures, although technically the DME can use throttle closure to protect the engine in any situation.
Appreciate 0