F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > does any one still use jb4?
GetBMWParts

04-24-2020, 02:23 AM   #1
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 lci

Question does any one still use jb4?

so today i installed a jb4 for a friend that isnt really too much about tunning cars etc. but he just wantedd a little extra juice on his car and he went ahead and went forward on a jb4 witch i used to run before and after using jb4 in 3 of my cars i honestly will never go back to jb4 after using a real flash than rather a piggyback ,any ways so today i helped him install it and as usual pretty straight forward install ive installed these enough times to know what im doing

so we went around the corner everything was checking out fine running map 5
but then all of a sudden the car lost all power no boost build in any gear the car wouldnt go anywhere but then i wouldnt get no code no check engine light no limp mode no engine malfunction nothing so i just pulled over turned off the car and turned it back on the car went back to normal but idk that was kinda weird the car did that?

any one have a idea what that could of been..

when i had jb4 on all 3 of my cars it was nothing but problems with them thangs lol but this was about 3 years ago or so.
sorry for bashing jb4 like that

i just helping out a friend here. i tried to get him in mhd or bm3 but he thought it was too expensive.
      04-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

1. Very few people. Some use with BEF, but uncommon. Some use for meth.

2. No one is going to be able to guess the random problem with no info. Probably just drive it hope it doesnt come back.

3. Drives a BMW but doesnt want to spend ~$500 on a tune that can dramatically improve the car?
Appreciate 2
chowser512038.50
jgoens3787.50
      04-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post

2. No one is going to be able to guess the random problem with no info. Probably just drive it hope it doesnt come back.

3. Drives a BMW but doesnt want to spend ~$500 on a tune that can dramatically improve the car?

also.. MHD is cheaper unless they're buying the JB4 used, or also buying the wireless adapter AND monitoring access.
      04-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

I'll have to disagree with you on that one, the Jb4 is still one of our most popular products.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

I would double check all the connections for the jb4 and make sure you have the latest firmware installed.

I also definitely reccomend the BEF.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I'll have to disagree with you on that one, the Jb4 is still one of our most popular products.
Let me qualify a bit - very few people on the forums, with N55s for which flash tunes are now readily available.

JB4 is used on numerous engines/platforms/models so yeah, its definitely still widely used. I was more talking about this specific platform/engine/application where the informed people have generally moved on to flash tunes since it seemed like the relevant answer to his question.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Let me qualify a bit - very few people on the forums, with N55s for which flash tunes are now readily available.

JB4 is used on numerous engines/platforms/models so yeah, its definitely still widely used. I was more talking about this specific platform/engine/application where the informed people have generally moved on to flash tunes since it seemed like the relevant answer to his question.
I know what you mean, I meant the same thing. the JB4 for the N55 F chassis is still a very popular item.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Poochie9107.50
      04-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #8
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

JB4 for the F30 is very widely used, but you're not going to find a lot of technical support around here especially for an older one. Post a JB4 log, codes, and if needed install photos over to the N55 area on n54tech and someone there can help you figure out what is set wrong with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #9
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I mean I could agree with him maybe new bmw owners go with that platform and then months later then switch off because they are very limited to option

Like for example the gentlemen that my friend bought this jb4 from h had it for 2 months and said this is wack I want more options

Tune options burble options cold start options gts start up options the list is long .

I mean I won't be surprised if a month or 2 my friend says he wants to sell it and get mhd or Bm3 lol
      04-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #10
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Any ways well after turning eveyrhing off and clearing up all his codes and resetting everything the car drove fine and he has been pushing it really hard all day today even tho is 100 degrees in la lol

And it seems to be holding up lol

But yeah not really a huge fan of jb4 anymore

Sorry guys ... my car feels day and night difference with bm3
      04-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #11
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

FWIW, I sold my Dinantronics and JB+ in the last month and within 24 hours of listing them on eBay. They both worked great for what their markets were... sub $250, mild power gains. Plugging in power is "tangible". If anything goes wrong, you just unplug it.
At worst, it's a gateway drug. Heck it was mine before my BM3 upgrade.

Software flashing is great and all BUT... if software fails - either with corrupted code, media breaks down, overwrite process interrupted, etc. your car is a brick on 4 wheels.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9107.50
      04-25-2020, 04:24 AM   #12
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
FWIW, I sold my Dinantronics and JB+ in the last month and within 24 hours of listing them on eBay. They both worked great for what their markets were... sub $250, mild power gains. Plugging in power is "tangible". If anything goes wrong, you just unplug it.
At worst, it's a gateway drug. Heck it was mine before my BM3 upgrade.

Software flashing is great and all BUT... if software fails - either with corrupted code, media breaks down, overwrite process interrupted, etc. your car is a brick on 4 wheels.
Same here, sold two different Dinantronics and a JB4 unit, both for a M235i and M2 and they were gone within two days. I was frankly surprised there was still a market for them but apparently, they remain popular products.

A lot of owners prefer a less invasive piggyback tune, over flashing the factory mapping, which contrary to what tuners tell you, cannot be exactly reverted. They might offer a flash that they consider "stock" but it's merely a variation of what they interpreted, came from factory.

Factually, the original map is lost, unless a franchise BMW dealer does a full i-Step software update.

Maybe this difficult for some of you guys here, that live their life a quarter mile at a time but not everyone is looking to win races, light to light but merely add a little pep, to their already competent automobile, with something that's completely reversible.

Which is why piggyback still have a place in the market, in spite of flash tune allotting more power gains.
Appreciate 1
exE36M3491.00
      04-25-2020, 08:17 AM   #13
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

because people just dont know any better...
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #14
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarortiz23 View Post
so today i installed a jb4 for a friend that isnt really too much about tunning cars etc. but he just wantedd a little extra juice on his car and he went ahead and went forward on a jb4 witch i used to run before and after using jb4 in 3 of my cars i honestly will never go back to jb4 after using a real flash than rather a piggyback ,any ways so today i helped him install it and as usual pretty straight forward install ive installed these enough times to know what im doing

so we went around the corner everything was checking out fine running map 5
but then all of a sudden the car lost all power no boost build in any gear the car wouldnt go anywhere but then i wouldnt get no code no check engine light no limp mode no engine malfunction nothing so i just pulled over turned off the car and turned it back on the car went back to normal but idk that was kinda weird the car did that?

any one have a idea what that could of been..

when i had jb4 on all 3 of my cars it was nothing but problems with them thangs lol but this was about 3 years ago or so.
sorry for bashing jb4 like that

i just helping out a friend here. i tried to get him in mhd or bm3 but he thought it was too expensive.
JB4 with MHD BEF and a BMS flash. I haven't had any problems for quite a while, my car performs better with the BMS BEF vs the MHD BEF.
Not enough info to diagnose your issue.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 10:54 AM   #15
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Just to jump in to the off topic portion about JB4--I've had 2 JB4's and still have a PWG one with old firmware that clears CELs. As the flash tunes gained popularity and appeared to have very few problems I made the switch. I compared both tunes side by side in my car and found MHD (straight, no BEF) to be better in every way. This was by feel and logs.

I have said before that I had no complaints with JB4 and it served me well when it was the thing to have--but nowadays, other than people who use meth, there is no reason to use piggybacks. I have been thinking of selling my unit as someone could probably put it to better use and it is not doing anything for me sitting in a cabinet.
      04-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #16
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

I would be willing to bet that the only reason any jb4 is still sold is because it will be one of the first page suggestions in google for simple search terms from noobs like "335i tune". Any competent person who does more than 5 minutes of research would never install it in their car over a flash tune especially over a couple hundred dollar price difference regardless of living their life a quarter mile at a time or not.
      04-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #17
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
How old is the jb4? Is it brand new, used? Like someone else said, is it updates to most recent firm? I have seen a few users who bought used ones and the mother boards were fried,

If you take the jb4 off will his car run normal?
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #18
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
I would be willing to bet that the only reason any jb4 is still sold is because it will be one of the first page suggestions in google for simple search terms from noobs like "335i tune". Any competent person who does more than 5 minutes of research would never install it in their car over a flash tune especially over a couple hundred dollar price difference regardless of living their life a quarter mile at a time or not.
The second you flash tune your vehicle, erase the factory map and trigger the flash counter, your warranty is automatically voided. The end.

Anything anyone else tells you is strait BS, that's factually what the claims rep will use to make the case, of denying your claim.

With a piggyback, you disconnect the unit, reset the computer and your back to factory, with no trace. No, it doesn't leave a trail; that's just what flash tune guys tell you, to make you believe flash tune is as invasive as an ancillary piggyback unit. It's not..

Removing the piggyback and getting a claim covered, might prevent you from getting into Heaven, due to your dishonesty but your warranty will factually remain intact.

I had a JB4 and now a Dinantronics Stage 4 and my car is fast as fvck, I scare myself sometimes. So I don't believe I'm missing anything that a flash tune can achieve, except maybe losing my warranty coverage.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2020, 01:00 PM   #19
Tim1981
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Very few people use these now a days... but I know some people from related field who recommend it as the starting place for all those new to modifying their car and those who plan to continue.
      04-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #20
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The second you flash tune your vehicle, erase the factory map and trigger the flash counter, your warranty is automatically voided. The end
I think you need to be a little careful with how this is stated. Yes, a flash tune is certainly going to be grounds to deny a warranty claim, but only for something that is directly a result of the flash.

If you go in because your windows switch it broken, or you have a problem completely unrelated to powertrain/drivetrain, there is no reason at all why your warranty for that should be voided. Yes, every dealer is different, but generally speaking any modification will only impact the warranty for components that are directly affected by said modification. I think saying that "you warranty is automatically voided" when you flash just scares people a bit.

I had no problem geting a door lock fixed, weather stripping replaced, and even the broken Ebrake cable that was rubbing on the driveshaft fixed (a 1k repair) under my CPO warranty when flashed and FBO. Did not remove my mods before going in, but did uninstall the tune. They never asked any questions or charged anything.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #21
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The second you flash tune your vehicle, erase the factory map and trigger the flash counter, your warranty is automatically voided. The end
I think you need to be a little careful with how this is stated. Yes, a flash tune is certainly going to be grounds to deny a warranty claim, but only for something that is directly a result of the flash.

If you go in because your windows switch it broken, or you have a problem completely unrelated to powertrain/drivetrain, there is no reason at all why your warranty for that should be voided. Yes, every dealer is different, but generally speaking any modification will only impact the warranty for components that are directly affected by said modification. I think saying that "you warranty is automatically voided" when you flash just scares people a bit.

I had no problem geting a door lock fixed, weather stripping replaced, and even the broken Ebrake cable that was rubbing on the driveshaft fixed (a 1k repair) under my CPO warranty when flashed and FBO. Did not remove my mods before going in, but did uninstall the tune. They never asked any questions or charged anything.
Yes, you're right, I figure that would be implied in context; only claims that might remotely related to the powertrain would possible be denied.

Everything else that is not connected, would still retain coverage.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #22
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
because people just dont know any better...
There are several things the JB4 can do that the flash tunes can't. When you consider the free maps and easy user adjustment and app interface it's easy to see why it remains so popular even among those running flash maps.

But for newer models once you flash the car you've voided the powertrain warranty and lease return even if flashed back to stock later so it's a big jump up in risk that not everyone is looking to take. Once the cars are older and out of warranty/lease it's common for JB4 owners to want to add in the back end flash maps which BMS publishes for free (compare to flash tuners charging $$$ for custom flash maps) that give you the best of both worlds.

This stuff is all covered in the JB4 FAQ: https://www.burgertuning.com/pages/faq
Appreciate 0