F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Grinding noise / soft vibration felt on slow accelerations
ARMA SPEED

04-29-2020, 09:51 AM   #1
Salem
Rep
Drives: F30 2015 335i

Grinding noise / soft vibration felt on slow accelerations

Over the past month I've been hearing a grinding sound coming from the front end of my 2015 335i. It sounds like metal scraping and the soft vibration is felt on the steering wheel. After a few minutes of driving it gets a bit harder to replicate but on some slow accelerations you can hear it. Sometimes louder then other times. Engine sounds fine and at higher speeds I don't hear or feel anything. It's just on slow accelerations. Not even when I'm breaking.

I attached a link to a reddit post with a video of the sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BMW/comment...tm_name=iossmf
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 12:21 AM   #2
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

How many miles on your car? Some ideas:
1. Worn brake pads - although you should see a sensor or dash light about this. (The OLD days, when the pads were worn, you can hear them scrape as the brake is applied).
2. You might have a rock/stone stuck in between the pad sections - crazy uncommon, but maybe.
3. The brake shield may gotten bent toward the disc rotor - hit anything lately?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #3
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem View Post
Over the past month I've been hearing a grinding sound coming from the front end of my 2015 335i. It sounds like metal scraping and the soft vibration is felt on the steering wheel. After a few minutes of driving it gets a bit harder to replicate but on some slow accelerations you can hear it. Sometimes louder then other times. Engine sounds fine and at higher speeds I don't hear or feel anything. It's just on slow accelerations. Not even when I'm breaking.

I attached a link to a reddit post with a video of the sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have grooves on your rotors? Try and see if the sound happens if you are turning left vs right. Have someone stand outside and see if they can find where the sound is coming from.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 07:56 AM   #4
Salem
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
How many miles on your car? Some ideas:
1. Worn brake pads - although you should see a sensor or dash light about this. (The OLD days, when the pads were worn, you can hear them scrape as the brake is applied).
2. You might have a rock/stone stuck in between the pad sections - crazy uncommon, but maybe.
3. The brake shield may gotten bent toward the disc rotor - hit anything lately?
75k miles and I only hear / feel it on slow accelerations. Never when braking.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
Salem
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Quote:

Do you have grooves on your rotors? Try and see if the sound happens if you are turning left vs right. Have someone stand outside and see if they can find where the sound is coming from.
I don't really hear it when turning. It's most notable on slow straight line accelerations.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't really hear it when turning. It's most notable on slow straight line accelerations.
Are your rotors smooth? Jack up one front corner and rotate your tire by hand and see if you produce any sound or uneveness.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 09:53 AM   #7
alkhemist88
Registered
Rep
Drives: Melbourne 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Searching through old posts to see if I can diagnose a similar problem and found your comment. I hear a rubbing sound when I turn to the right while going slow, but nothing when turning left or straight. My front rotors are definitely worn. Curious why you were asking this question the original poster? Do the pads contact the rotors more when turning and cause noise if rotors are worn? My noise sounds like it is from the left front when this happens but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:59 PM   #8
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkhemist88 View Post
Searching through old posts to see if I can diagnose a similar problem and found your comment. I hear a rubbing sound when I turn to the right while going slow, but nothing when turning left or straight. My front rotors are definitely worn. Curious why you were asking this question the original poster? Do the pads contact the rotors more when turning and cause noise if rotors are worn? My noise sounds like it is from the left front when this happens but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks in advance!
Could be that your wheel bearings are starting to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #9
alkhemist88
Registered
Rep
Drives: Melbourne 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Could be that your wheel bearings are starting to go.
I was worried that was going to be your response. Brakes need to be serviced anyway so I'll get an answer either way soon. Thanks!
Appreciate 0