E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > AmazonBasics vs Liqui Moly

05-20-2020, 02:44 AM   #1
lukemcmullen45
Luke McMullen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

AmazonBasics vs Liqui Moly

I am sure all of you have watched the project farm video below. From these tests, AmazonBasics is the winner between the two oils, but barely. And yes this is my second thread on this.

I basically want to know if anyone has tried this oil in their N54/N55? I know it isn't LL-01 approved, so don't mention that. It's 5w40 API SN certified however so is Liqui Moly. I'm very tempted to try this in my 07 335i. If I end up doing so I'll be sure to post a video, and also showing my Blackstone Lab Analysis. I'm a big fan of this oil, and I have had very good results in my families cars. (Also the cost is not the deciding factor in this, I am happy to pay for Liqui Moly if it is better, however I am convinced this Amazon oil is the best bang for your buck oil). Also considering I change my oil every 3,000 miles, it shouldn't damage anything...

https://amzn.to/2AFIXPH

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep
Drives: 2007 6MT 335i upgraded twins

Man, IDK.. maybe if he did his "lubricity" test with the oil itself at 230+ degrees I would be convinced.

I think for your family car that basics stuff is okay. But I would never run it in my N54... these things just operate too hot.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I will stick with the name brand stuff that's been around for years. It's not worth the risk just to save a few bucks each oil change.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
lukemcmullen45
Luke McMullen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerr View Post
Man, IDK.. maybe if he did his "lubricity" test with the oil itself at 230+ degrees I would be convinced.

I think for your family car that basics stuff is okay. But I would never run it in my N54... these things just operate too hot.
Yea I was thinking the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #5
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

I prefer shell rotella T6. It may be a "diesel oil" but that's because of the added zinc and it works great. Seen several Blackstone analysis on N54 engines and they always state how good the oil looks. Also has more heat resistance as diesel engines tend to run hot and I burned noticeably less oil when I started running it in my vw 2.0t.
Best part is the price its regularly $19-21 for a gallon and can be locally sourced at Walmart or any auto parts store
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
I prefer shell rotella T6. It may be a "diesel oil" but that's because of the added zinc and it works great. Seen several Blackstone analysis on N54 engines and they always state how good the oil looks. Also has more heat resistance as diesel engines tend to run hot and I burned noticeably less oil when I started running it in my vw 2.0t.
Best part is the price its regularly $19-21 for a gallon and can be locally sourced at Walmart or any auto parts store
That's what I run.....Rotella T6.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #7
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

That guys tests have virtually nothing to do with what oil needs to do inside an engine. Maple syrup would Perform about the same in those tests, utter crap.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:36 AM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Diesel engines don’t run hot, is more efficient burn, you can touch the Diesel engine muffler without burning yourself, not so much on gasoline engine. I like T6 too, and has used it a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 06:00 AM   #9
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Diesel engines don’t run hot, is more efficient burn, you can touch the Diesel engine muffler without burning yourself, not so much on gasoline engine. I like T6 too, and has used it a lot.
Not sure what diesel mufflers you have been grabbing ahold of.....but the one on my F250 will burn the hell out of you. EGT's in diesels can approach 900+ degrees if under a good load.

And normal oil temps on my truck run around 220-230 degrees ....more than what my N54 usually sees.
Appreciate 1
JuniorB184.50
      05-21-2020, 09:21 AM   #10
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Quote:
Not sure what diesel mufflers you have been grabbing ahold of.....but the one on my F250 will burn the hell out of you. EGT's in diesels can approach 900+ degrees if under a good load.

And normal oil temps on my truck run around 220-230 degrees ....more than what my N54 usually sees.
what does your n54 see
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #11
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
what does your n54 see
It's rare that it ever gets much over 210 degrees......if I push it hard it might hit 220 (oil temp).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #12
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

stock oil cooler and thermostat?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:22 AM   #13
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
stock oil cooler and thermostat?
Yep
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:23 AM   #14
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Really? n54 operating average temperature is 240 and in cool ambient temp that is. Diesel run more efficiently, thus burning more less fuel, so although the initial exhaust temp will be higher, the expansion of the exhaust gas will be higher too, because they run leaner, so the muffler will be cooler. Is thermal dynamics, and you can go ahead and confirm this by feeling the exhaust tips on both vehicles you have or read a little bit on what the differences are diesel vs gasoline, about EGT, BDC, TDC, and their relation with RPM and all that good stuff....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #15
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Really? n54 operating average temperature is 240 and in cool ambient temp that is. Diesel run more efficiently, thus burning more less fuel, so although the initial exhaust temp will be higher, the expansion of the exhaust gas will be higher too, because they run leaner, so the muffler will be cooler. Is thermal dynamics, and you can go ahead and confirm this by feeling the exhaust tips on both vehicles you have or read a little bit on what the differences are diesel vs gasoline, about EGT, BDC, TDC, and their relation with RPM and all that good stuff....

"N54's average temperature is 240 degrees and in cool ambient temp" Huh?
"diesels burn more less fuel" Huh?
"they run leaner so the muffler will be cooler" What?

Stoich for gasoline is around 14.7....for diesel it's around 14.5....so technically, they run more fuel per air = richer, not leaner.

As far as EGT's....900 degree EGT is 900 degrees EGT...I don't care if it's coming out of a diesel or a gas motor. The EGT probe is reading 900 degrees......it is what it is.

Trying to use muffler and exhaust tip temps as a diesel vs gas comparison is pointless....too many variables to even use that as a comparison. What exhaust components (cats, mufflers, etc) are used in the system?, exhaust pipe length?, exhaust tube diameter?, forced or NA induction, etc,etc.

BDC (bottom dead center), TDC (top dead center), their relation to RPM? What in the holy crack head hell are you blabbing about?

And what does any of that have to do with Amazon Basics oil?
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:59 PM   #16
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Stoich for gasoline is around 14.7....for diesel it's around 14.5....so technically, they run more fuel per air = richer, not leaner.
You don't have a clue about diesels, do you? Diesel engines spend the vast majority of their operation running lean (AFR above stoich). Get anywhere near stoich on a diesel and soot/smoke becomes an issue. Gas/petrol engines cruise lean, but run rich (AFR below stoich) when power is required. What actual AFR stoich is for either fuel has n bearing on whether the engine will run rich or lean, to run correctly. This is on topic, since someone brought up the topic earlier then you continued the discussion.

I don't understand what you mean about the exhaust cooling quickly on diesels, feuer, care to explain?

Last edited by Tambohamilton; 05-21-2020 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #17
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"N54's average temperature is 240 degrees and in cool ambient temp" Huh?
"diesels burn more less fuel" Huh?
"they run leaner so the muffler will be cooler" What?

As far as EGT's....900 degree EGT is 900 degrees EGT...I don't care if it's coming out of a diesel or a gas motor. The EGT probe is reading 900 degrees......it is what it is.

Trying to use muffler and exhaust tip temps as a diesel vs gas comparison is pointless....too many variables to even use that as a comparison. What exhaust components (cats, mufflers, etc) are used in the system?, exhaust pipe length?, exhaust tube diameter?, forced or NA induction, etc,etc.

BDC (bottom dead center), TDC (top dead center), their relation to RPM? What in the holy crack head hell are you blabbing about?

And what does any of that have to do with Amazon Basics oil?
Seriously? You are picking up on typographical errors? Running on less fuel is running lean. Which uses less fuel to convert into energy? Yes, BPD and TDC, talking about the stroke, how much air and fuel comes in, being ignited, how much is pushed out, how fast too, thus RPM. It has nothing to do with the material, length and ect. the muffler is made out of. Why I'm blabbing about because you are claiming that T6 is better suited for n54 since is made for diesel engines that operate at higher temperatures than gasoline and I'm telling you that isn't correct. New diesel are forced to run hot and temps similar to gasoline only because they need to meet EPA standards and have DPF, DEF and ect. Take all of that aside, diesel operating temp will be 170-180. I like T6 a lot, and most definitely have use it more than you lol as I'm dealing with fleets. However, T6 isn't better than same grade oil made for gasoline engine especially in the heat protection.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #18
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
You don't have a clue about diesels, do you? Diesel engines spend the vast majority of their operation running lean (AFR above stoich). Get anywhere near stoich on a diesel and soot/smoke becomes an issue. Gas/petrol engines cruise lean, but run rich (AFR below stoich) when power is required. What actual AFR stoich is for either fuel has n bearing on whether the engine will run rich or lean, to run correctly. This is on topic, since someone brought up the topic earlier then you continued the discussion.

I don't understand what you mean about the exhaust cooling quickly on diesels, feuer, care to explain?
Who are you talking to? You've bundled up multiple posts from multiple people into your reply.

When it comes down to it.....oil temps in my diesel are the same or higher than they are in my N54.....so I see no reason why a good quality synthetic diesel oil of the correct weight (5w-40 Rotella T6) would not be a good choice in an N54. It's not like there aren't tons of people out there running it with great luck......and Blackstone oil labs seems to think it's a good choice, but what do they know?
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #19
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Seriously? You are picking up on typographical errors? Running on less fuel is running lean. Which uses less fuel to convert into energy? Yes, BPD and TDC, talking about the stroke, how much air and fuel comes in, being ignited, how much is pushed out, how fast too, thus RPM. It has nothing to do with the material, length and ect. the muffler is made out of. Why I'm blabbing about because you are claiming that T6 is better suited for n54 since is made for diesel engines that operate at higher temperatures than gasoline and I'm telling you that that isn't correct. New diesel are forced to run hot and temps similar to gasoline only because they need to meet EPA standards and have DPF, DEF and ect. Take all of that aside, diesel operating temp will be 170-180. I like T6 a lot, and most definitely have use it more than you lol as I'm dealing with fleets. However, T6 isn't better than same grade oil made for gasoline engine especially in the heat protection.
You are aware that different materials (aluminum, SS, steel, titanium) have different thermal properties right? You are aware that given the same EGT.....an exhaust system that's 4ft long with a steel muffler is going to have hotter gas coming out of the end of it vs. a 20ft exhaust system with an aluminum muffler....right?

So to say that material type and length of pipe, etc, won't affect exhaust system tip temp is ignorant. Of coarse it will.

And I'm not sure what diesels you have driven...but none of that ones I've driven operate at 170-180 oil temp (since we are talking about oil temps here). They all run 200-230.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #20
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are aware that different materials (aluminum, SS, steel, titanium) have different thermal properties right? You are aware that given the same EGT.....an exhaust system that's 4ft long with a steel muffler is going to have hotter gas coming out of the end of it vs. a 20ft exhaust system with an aluminum muffler....right?

So to say that material type and length of pipe, etc, won't affect exhaust system tip temp is ignorant. Of coarse it will.

And I'm not sure what diesels you have driven...but none of that ones I've driven operate at 170-180 oil temp (since we are talking about oil temps here). They all run 200-230.
wow one is ignorant for sure! Ok, I'll play, assume all the same: length, material, size, shape, blah blah...diesel will be cooler. Can you accept that? I have driven, worked on, and also own (currently) diesel fleet.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:23 PM   #21
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Is more efficient engine, more of the exhaust expansion is used to make energy which remove heat vs gasoline that will just push it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #22
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here (in case someone things I'm against T6) : https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179244 and https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...&postcount=135
I think currently Amsoil is the best when comes to heat protection in 5w-40 grade, or maybe was 0w-40.
Anyhow, isn't T6.....that I like very much.
Appreciate 0