E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Charged battery and now "increased battery discharge" message

05-24-2020, 10:51 PM   #1
Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Charged battery and now "increased battery discharge" message

The cars has been sitting for a couple weeks but the battery wasn't dead by any means and the car started right up this morning. Tomorrow I will be installing an MHD tune, so today I wanted to charge the battery fully. So after 6 hours or so, it still wasn't charged and the charger was still in "10 amp boost mode". And when I start the car up to pull back in the garage for the night, my dash says "increased battery discharge". What could be going on? I was using a new Schumacher charger.

PS- I know that for the tune I will need to have the charger on, but I still wanted to get it up to full charge today to avoid any issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Usually that message pops up when something is creating draw on the battery. Do you have comfort access and did you leave the keys inside? Any lights left on?
Maybe your charger was not connected properly, sounds like it drained the battery over charging it. I would just drive around for a while and let it charge normally. For charging a battery you want to use a very low "trickle charge". If you are installing a tune hook your charger up on the low slow setting. MHD first install takes 30-40 min if I remember.
      05-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #3
Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Usually that message pops up when something is creating draw on the battery. Do you have comfort access and did you leave the keys inside? Any lights left on?
Maybe your charger was not connected properly, sounds like it drained the battery over charging it. I would just drive around for a while and let it charge normally. For charging a battery you want to use a very low "trickle charge". If you are installing a tune hook your charger up on the low slow setting. MHD first install takes 30-40 min if I remember.
Drain the battery instead of charge it? That's an interesting thought. Don't imagine how that would be possible as I had the clamps attached to the terminals in the engine bay, the positive under the red cap and the ground on that protruding bolt on the left side. And as I let it charge during the day, I had the hood open and car locked and the charger sitting on the pavement in front of the car. And the extension cord pulled under the garage door.

This is the charger-
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep

And now I'm too scared to install the tune today. If there is something wrong with the charger or I connected it incorrectly, then the tune might drain my battery if the charger can't hold the battery level during the process.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Resolve battery issues before you mess w mhd!

Strange however there is no mention of the age of the battery.
      05-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Resolve battery issues before you mess w mhd!

Strange however there is no mention of the age of the battery.
I have no idea about that. It's an e92 2011is and never had a single issue with the battery before. So I doubt it would be an issue on the batteries end.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I pulled the car out of the garage to see about charging it again and there was no battery notification on the dash this time. So it's outside in 10amp boost charging mode just like yesterday.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
Tadlad08
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Believe me when I say, just buy brand new battery. Seems like you don't have any knowledge on how old it is. Even if it never gave you any problems just change it. Same thing happen to me and it was a nightmare flashing.. flash kept on failing over and over and over again, because of a battery I had no information on. Once I brought a brand new battery Flash successful. Flashing for 30-40 mins on a old battery not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 07:46 PM   #9
alpnwss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 BMW 335is

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
+1 on replacing the battery. Not worth it. Not to mention that if you have a bad battery, the water pump can't run to cool the turbos after a hard drive. Overall not worth squeezing the life out of a battery, as you suck some life from the car as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #10
Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpnwss View Post
+1 on replacing the battery. Not worth it. Not to mention that if you have a bad battery, the water pump can't run to cool the turbos after a hard drive. Overall not worth squeezing the life out of a battery, as you suck some life from the car as well.
I really think the battery is good. I don't know how old it is but when I did see it, it looked in really good condition. Either way, the car has now been on about 22 hours of consecutive charging and if it's not full by now then something is wrong. So I'm going to the auto parts store and getting a multimeter and testing the battery and returning the charger if need be. Or I'll buy a new battery while I'm there if need be.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #11
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Make sure you clear the codes.

You may be seeing a residual code that normally disappears after driving for a while.

I had this happen when my battery ran down even though it is brand new.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #12
CrazyCarMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i e90 LCI

Replacing the battery will give you assurance.
When I bought my Battery, I had my old battery get tested.
I was told that I needed to leave it over night since it was drained.
Next day I came back and I was told that my Battery was in perfect conditions.
I still ended up replacing it, since I started to notice I will get that same "increased Battery discharge" when ever i left my door open for a few minutes.
That error code is either;
something was left on or open
or that your battery is on its way out.
After I replaced my battery, no more "increased Battery discharge"
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 05:56 PM   #13
alpnwss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 BMW 335is

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim415 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpnwss View Post
I really think the battery is good. I don't know how old it is but when I did see it, it looked in really good condition. Either way, the car has now been on about 22 hours of consecutive charging and if it's not full by now then something is wrong. So I'm going to the auto parts store and getting a multimeter and testing the battery and returning the charger if need be. Or I'll buy a new battery while I'm there if need be.
Unfortunately visual inspection of batteries is not an effective way of guaging. It is in a sealed area of the car. My battery that was dead looked exactly like the one off the shelf, expect the dates were a couple years apart.
Additionally make sure to register the battery. The car charges a new battery differently than an old one. This is not a step you should skip, and it is very easy.
Appreciate 0