F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Question on Stage 3 Dinan 435xi-black smoke?
proTUNING Freaks

05-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
warcraftjs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Question on Stage 3 Dinan 435xi-black smoke?

So yesterday I went out with my son to pick him up a New RC car. And on the way back a Dodge Challenger SRT pulled up behind me and we started to "play around". (Yes, yes I know he can kick my cars butt) But we where having fun on the road and the road had nice curves.

So we finally came up to a stop light, exchanged compliments. (He liked my car, I like his car that sort of thing.)

So as the light was about to turn green, I did the launch control and the light turned green we took off. (Wouldn't you know it I launched first), But here is the problem......

I got up to about 90-100 and my car kept like almost hesitating. I let off then smashed the gas and a giant dark cloud came out the back of my car and it took off again.
No error codes, engine temp was around 240-250 after I finally backed off the car ran perfect no problems. Got onto another highway and ran it a little harder again and no problems.

My question is is there something I should be looking for? Upgrading? Adjusting? Could it have been be blowing the carbon out ?

Here is what my 435xi msport has:
Dinan Stage 3
Dinan Intercooler
Dinan CAI
Dinan Exhaust
Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipes
Evolution Racewerks Turbo to Intercooler Charge Pipe

Just changed the spark plugs, I'm at 58k miles.

Sorry for the long story.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Can you better describe "like almost hesitating"? Like a shudder/misfire?

What you saw was probably just the initial surge of fuel and corresponding smoke, likely combined with some unburned fuel from when the car was misfiring. My best guess given you have no datalogs or anything else to go on.

Why it did it in the first place is anyone's guess. Maybe try to recreate the same situation again (leading up to and including the launch control to 100 mph) to see if its repeatable. If not, it might have been a fluke...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcraftjs View Post
So yesterday I went out with my son to pick him up a New RC car. And on the way back a Dodge Challenger SRT pulled up behind me and we started to "play around". (Yes, yes I know he can kick my cars butt) But we where having fun on the road and the road had nice curves.

So we finally came up to a stop light, exchanged compliments. (He liked my car, I like his car that sort of thing.)

So as the light was about to turn green, I did the launch control and the light turned green we took off. (Wouldn't you know it I launched first), But here is the problem......

I got up to about 90-100 and my car kept like almost hesitating. I let off then smashed the gas and a giant dark cloud came out the back of my car and it took off again.
No error codes, engine temp was around 240-250 after I finally backed off the car ran perfect no problems. Got onto another highway and ran it a little harder again and no problems.

My question is is there something I should be looking for? Upgrading? Adjusting? Could it have been be blowing the carbon out ?

Here is what my 435xi msport has:
Dinan Stage 3
Dinan Intercooler
Dinan CAI
Dinan Exhaust
Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipes
Evolution Racewerks Turbo to Intercooler Charge Pipe

Just changed the spark plugs, I'm at 58k miles.

Sorry for the long story.
Fuel pump crashed, if you see and hear and feel like the car is two-step ping or hesitating, it's due to the HPFP crashing either due to octane, or over boosting.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
warcraftjs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Can you better describe "like almost hesitating"? Like a shudder/misfire?

What you saw was probably just the initial surge of fuel and corresponding smoke, likely combined with some unburned fuel from when the car was misfiring. My best guess given you have no datalogs or anything else to go on.

Why it did it in the first place is anyone's guess. Maybe try to recreate the same situation again (leading up to and including the launch control to 100 mph) to see if its repeatable. If not, it might have been a fluke...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Fuel pump crashed, if you see and hear and feel like the car is two-step ping or hesitating, it's due to the HPFP crashing either due to octane, or over boosting.
Ya I don't have a datalogs. (not sure how to get that) It was kinds like chaungo said kinda a two-stepping but I only got it up around 100 mph then after 100 it was fine. I just drove the car around and its was running great. Tho I didn't do any bashing. I will have to find a good road to try the Launch to 100 again to see if I can repeat it.

But you all think I could use a fuel pump upgrade?

Last edited by warcraftjs; 05-26-2020 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #5
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ya I don't have a datalogs. (not sure how to get that) It was kinds like chaungo said kinda a two-stepping but I only got it up around 100 mph then after 100 it was fine. I just drove the car around and its was running great. Tho I didn't do any bashing. I will have to find a good road to try the Launch to 100 again to see if I can repeat it.

But you all think I could use a fuel pump upgrade?
It would help, but it's mostly fixed with better octane, the reason why it does it is because your timing is way off due to fuel quality and octane, and it's sending in more fuel to offset it, but HPFP cannot keep up with demand. You can get a HPFP upgrade, but it won't fix your timings.

Try getting better fuel first, and if it keeps crashing, then upgrade HPFP.
      05-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It would help, but it's mostly fixed with better octane, the reason why it does it is because your timing is way off due to fuel quality and octane, and it's sending in more fuel to offset it, but HPFP cannot keep up with demand. You can get a HPFP upgrade, but it won't fix your timings.

Try getting better fuel first, and if it keeps crashing, then upgrade HPFP.
I think we really need to see a datalog before we make a guess about timing and fuel pump crash. If OP doesnt have MHD/BM3 since he went the dinan route, he might need to just get a generic OBD2 device to connect to his phone and use something like torque to do datalogging. But i am not sure how much torque will be able to see compared to MHD/BM3. I dont think dinan has any logging?

Also, OP - what fuel are you running? I think IL has 93, no?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think we really need to see a datalog before we make a guess about timing and fuel pump crash. If OP doesnt have MHD/BM3 since he went the dinan route, he might need to just get a generic OBD2 device to connect to his phone and use something like torque to do datalogging. But i am not sure how much torque will be able to see compared to MHD/BM3. I dont think dinan has any logging?

Oh, I'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump, I had the same exact thing he did, it runs richer to try to offset the octane which in turns crashes the HPFP due to fuel demand, I'll attach a log as a example.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ebf...729b721306b5e7

Ignore the trash timing lol I was running a bottle of fuel system cleaner from redline.
      05-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #8
warcraftjs
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I do have the Torque app. I will try to get what I can from that.

Yes we have 93 and that's what I always fill up with. Normally from Speedway.

Quote:
Oh, I'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump, I had the same exact thing he did, it runs richer to try to offset the octane which in turns crashes the HPFP due to fuel demand, I'll attach a log as a example.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ebf...729b721306b5e7

Ignore the trash timing lol I was running a bottle of fuel system cleaner from redline.
I'm going to start to look in to the upgraded fuel pump from Dinan. Unless you all have a better (maybe cost efficient) option.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I do have the Torque app. I will try to get what I can from that.

Yes we have 93 and that's what I always fill up with. Normally from Speedway.

I'm going to start to look in to the upgraded fuel pump from Dinan. Unless you all have a better (maybe cost efficient) option.
Key things per our discussion above are HPFP rail pressure and corresponding target. And ign timing for all 6 cylinders.

Also, he is not talking about LPFP. You definitely don't need that. He is talking about HPFP and to my knowledge dinan does not offer one.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2020, 10:56 AM   #10
warcraftjs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Key things per our discussion above are HPFP rail pressure and corresponding target. And ign timing for all 6 cylinders.

Also, he is not talking about LPFP. You definitely don't need that. He is talking about HPFP and to my knowledge dinan does not offer one.
Ahh. Got it. Ya I started looking for how to do it. Doesn't seam that difficult to replace. But I may have it done for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #11
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ahh. Got it. Ya I started looking for how to do it. Doesn't seam that difficult to replace. But I may have it done for me.
Ok. I still wouldnt throw parts at the car until you confirm that's what the issue was, and confirm the issue is repeatable and not a fluke for some other reason.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #12
warcraftjs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok. I still wouldnt throw parts at the car until you confirm that's what the issue was, and confirm the issue is repeatable and not a fluke for some other reason.
I'm waiting for this weekend to have some good runs. And have Torque app running.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #13
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm waiting for this weekend to have some good runs. And have Torque app running.
Why are you not using your tuning software to log?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #14
warcraftjs
United_States
Rep

To be honest I didn't even know I could run any tuning software to log, with my Dinan box.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #15
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnick101 View Post
Why are you not using your tuning software to log?
Does the dinan even have any logging capabilities? He doesnt have BM3, MHD, or JB4.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #16
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Does the dinan even have any logging capabilities? He doesnt have BM3, MHD, or JB4.
Whoops. I thought Dinan stage 3 was a package. Didn't realize that was the tune

Carry on OP.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #17
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Also, unless you plan on going bm3, MHD or Custom Tune, Dorch, XDI and Spool are off the table. Your only other HPFP option will be B58 HPFP.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #18
warcraftjs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not that I know of. There is nothing in the APP for the Dinan only the ablity to change from Stock to S1, S2, and S3 tunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnick101 View Post
Whoops. I thought Dinan stage 3 was a package. Didn't realize that was the tune

Carry on OP.
No prob I wasn't sure if you knew of a way.

Can I run any of the tunes (BM3, MHD) along with my Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #19
warcraftjs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Also, unless you plan on going bm3, MHD or Custom Tune, Dorch, XDI and Spool are off the table. Your only other HPFP option will be B58 HPFP.

Ok cool so that at least gives me a start of what to use if my logs come back that is the reason.
Appreciate 0