F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Charge pipes explanation please
Extreme Powerhouse

06-05-2020, 11:46 PM   #1
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i M-Sport

I bought the combo Active Auto deal at Extreme Powerhouse https://x-ph.com/active-autowerke-f-...pe-combo-deal/
...for my f32 and compared to how it felt before im happy. However, as I continue to get more obsessed with building my car im seeing more about other in and out pipes.

Now im confused...is this the same pipe as a cold side pipe? Id really like to complete everything, just dont wanna buy the same thing i already have. There is a lag between gears which i hateeeeee. What cleans that up? Thanks yall!

Thumbs up for the advice and recommendations
- Injen intake
- Active Autowerke intercooler
- Active Autowerke charge pipe
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Charge pipe is what you got in the combination deal. Its the cold side pipe that runs from your upgraded intercooler to your throttle body.

You need a trans flash like XHP if you want faster shifts.

Now that you have the intercooler and charge pipe, you should get a tune to take advantage of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc View Post
Charge pipe is what you got in the combination deal. Its the cold side pipe that runs from your upgraded intercooler to your throttle body.

You need a trans flash like XHP if you want faster shifts.

Now that you have the intercooler and charge pipe, you should get a tune to take advantage of them.
Is a cold side charge pipe different from what ive already bought? Is an outlet pipe worthwhile? I did a jb4 tuning, would that be different from a tranny tune?
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep

Cold side pipe and charge pipe(CP) are two ways of identifying the same part. Which you have.

There is a pipe that runs from the turbo to the intercooler. It can be called a turbo to intercooler pipe(TIC) or hot side pipe. I have not heard of there being the reliability issues with the TIC as there are with the CP. So I dont know if there is a good reason to upgrade it unless maybe you are getting a stage 2 turbo.

JB4 adds power via manipulation of the boost, fuel, and air signals going to the cars computer(DME). If you have a JB4 I highly recommend you get the MHD flasher and load a backend flash. That way the DME has more control and the JB4 just acts as a boost controller. With the DME doing most of the work, you will make a bit more power safer and smoother than the JB4 alone.

JB4 does not do anything to the transmission except that it reports higher levels of torque to the DME so there is increased line pressure to prevent slippage with the added power you are making. It does nothing in regards to shifting.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc View Post
Cold side pipe and charge pipe(CP) are two ways of identifying the same part. Which you have.

There is a pipe that runs from the turbo to the intercooler. It can be called a turbo to intercooler pipe(TIC) or hot side pipe. I have not heard of there being the reliability issues with the TIC as there are with the CP. So I dont know if there is a good reason to upgrade it unless maybe you are getting a stage 2 turbo.

JB4 adds power via manipulation of the boost, fuel, and air signals going to the cars computer(DME). If you have a JB4 I highly recommend you get the MHD flasher and load a backend flash. That way the DME has more control and the JB4 just acts as a boost controller. With the DME doing most of the work, you will make a bit more power safer and smoother than the JB4 alone.

JB4 does not do anything to the transmission except that it reports higher levels of torque to the DME so there is increased line pressure to prevent slippage with the added power you are making. It does nothing in regards to shifting.
Are you sure the JB4 reports higher torque levels to the DME? I am not 100% sure myself, but i somewhat assumed it would actually underreport torque since its underreporting boost, etc.

With regards to the transmission tune, XHP is definitely the way to go, just take a look at the recent thread or the older one with 100s of posts in it. It will work fine with JB4, but if you want the best combination of driveability, power delivery, and overall power, you should go with a flash tune like MHD/BM3/AA/etc and XHP for the transmission. Just depends on what you goals are with the car.

As mentioned above you already have the charge pipe (CP) and intercooler (IC). You would just need a downpipe (DP) if you wanted to run a stage 2/2+ tune. You would also benenfit from a DP with JB4.

The TIC does not need to be replaced for reliabiltiy issues. Some do it along with IC+CP, others dont unless they are going turbo upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Are you sure the JB4 reports higher torque levels to the DME? I am not 100% sure myself, but i somewhat assumed it would actually underreport torque since its underreporting boost, etc.

With regards to the transmission tune, XHP is definitely the way to go, just take a look at the recent thread or the older one with 100s of posts in it. It will work fine with JB4, but if you want the best combination of driveability, power delivery, and overall power, you should go with a flash tune like MHD/BM3/AA/etc and XHP for the transmission. Just depends on what you goals are with the car.

As mentioned above you already have the charge pipe (CP) and intercooler (IC). You would just need a downpipe (DP) if you wanted to run a stage 2/2+ tune. You would also benenfit from a DP with JB4.

The TIC does not need to be replaced for reliabiltiy issues. Some do it along with IC+CP, others dont unless they are going turbo upgrade.

Thanks for the torque catch. You had me questioning myself. I went back and reviewed. The JB4 alone does not alter the torque signal. You have to have the BEF loaded for this feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 12:40 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a404freedom View Post
I bought the combo Active Auto deal at Extreme Powerhouse https://x-ph.com/active-autowerke-f-...pe-combo-deal/
...for my f32 and compared to how it felt before im happy. However, as I continue to get more obsessed with building my car im seeing more about other in and out pipes.

Now im confused...is this the same pipe as a cold side pipe? Id really like to complete everything, just dont wanna buy the same thing i already have. There is a lag between gears which i hateeeeee. What cleans that up? Thanks yall!

No need to upgrade the TIC pipe. It doesn't break like the stock charge pipe. The reason you hear of guys maybe upgrading the TIC during a turbo upgrade is that the labor is zero if done at that time.

I'd suggest that you discuss your gear hesitation issue with Mike at x-ph. He's going to have a better idea of your options with your current configuration. I had a similar discussion with him and he helped me to not waste money by avoiding expensive suggestions that were being thrown my way.

Mike impressed me when I've called him thinking I had to buy an expensive product from him and he actually talked me out of it. Turned out that there was a less expensive solution that better met my needs. Mike is a great resource.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #8
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

No need to upgrade the TIC pipe. It doesn't break like the stock charge pipe. The reason you hear of guys maybe upgrading the TIC during a turbo upgrade is that the labor is zero if done at that time.

I'd suggest that you discuss your gear hesitation issue with Mike at x-ph. He's going to have a better idea of your options with your current configuration. I had a similar discussion with him and he helped me to not waste money by avoiding expensive suggestions that were being thrown my way.

Mike impressed me when I've called him thinking I had to buy an expensive product from him and he actually talked me out of it. Turned out that there was a less expensive solution that better met my needs. Mike is a great resource.
This is over the top great advice, thank you all very very much! I did the xhp tune a bit ago so im excited to see the results. I will reach to mike and definitely discuss more option. Tbh, most of the discussion parts are very new to me and im gradually learning as i go so thank you again!!!
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 1
johnung4552.50
      06-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
This is over the top great advice, thank you all very very much! I did the xhp tune a bit ago so im excited to see the results. I will reach to mike and definitely discuss more option. Tbh, most of the discussion parts are very new to me and im gradually learning as i go so thank you again!!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #10
Skrrtt335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335

Get a catless downpipe & i suggest you do a BM3 flash . you can go stage 2 and it comes with one free ots tune & a free transmission flash
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:26 PM   #11
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrrtt335 View Post
Get a catless downpipe & i suggest you do a BM3 flash . you can go stage 2 and it comes with one free ots tune & a free transmission flash
OP specifically said he does not want fumes/smell, so he should definitely not get a catless DP.

As i posted in the other thread, i would also recommend against BM3 for someone who does not know how to do logging or basic DIY like installing or removing a JB4.
Appreciate 0