F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2015 F30 328i Drivetrain Malfunction
Extreme Powerhouse

06-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #1
joshhwhaa
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

2015 F30 328i Drivetrain Malfunction

Was at a red light and felt the car began to shake. When I looked down, the car shut off and I received the error code. I turned the car back on, filled up the gas tank (was at 15 miles till empty at the time), drove the car slowly back home and called the dealership.

I'm thinking it might be the spark plugs but we shall see...

RIP to my wallet
      06-24-2020, 11:50 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Um so are you going to post errors codes or anything? Or what was the point of this post lol?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:59 AM   #3
joshhwhaa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Um so are you going to post errors codes or anything? Or what was the point of this post lol?
Um, to vent, get responses regarding the same error message, advice?
Thought that's why the community was here, for support.

Thank you for your enlightening response though 🙃 lol
      06-25-2020, 02:06 AM   #4
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhwhaa View Post
Quote:

Thank you for your enlightening response though lol
you have a way of scanning for codes? bimmerlink, mhd, bm3, or an actual scanner? I think autozone will scan your car and tell you the codes. and it's hard to say if it's your plugs without codes.. could also be a vacuum issue, a sensor, fuel pump/pressure, maybe vanos related, who knows, the list can go on without codes to narrow it down.
      06-25-2020, 03:01 AM   #5
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

Drivetrain malfunction could be a million things is what he's trying to say. Pulling codes or going to an indy if you're out of warranty will save you a lot of money.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 10:42 AM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Happy to support, but as mentioned above and what i was getting at, drivetrain malfunction is the most vague information you can provide. We need specific codes, detailed descriptions of symptoms including leading up to the issue, if anything similar has happened before and what was done to fix it, etc.

My recommendation is get something to pull codes, whether its a cheap bluetooth OBD2 dongle and a free app, or a dedicated scanner, etc. Going into the dealership blind is the least cost effective way to solve a problem
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
joshhwhaa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for your enlightening response though lol
you have a way of scanning for codes? bimmerlink, mhd, bm3, or an actual scanner? I think autozone will scan your car and tell you the codes. and it's hard to say if it's your plugs without codes.. could also be a vacuum issue, a sensor, fuel pump/pressure, maybe vanos related, who knows, the list can go on without codes to narrow it down.
[/QUOTE]

you have a way of scanning for codes? bimmerlink, mhd, bm3, or an actual scanner? I think autozone will scan your car and tell you the codes. and it's hard to say if it's your plugs without codes.. could also be a vacuum issue, a sensor, fuel pump/pressure, maybe vanos related, who knows, the list can go on without codes to narrow it down.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a scanner. I haven't changed the spark plugs, and reading that they're supposed to changed about every 50k miles, mine are overdue. So I'm hoping it's that.
I took in the car this morning, we'll see what they say.

Thanks for the heads up
      06-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #8
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
This happen to me before I was bolted on and it was a coil. Super easy to install. But like everyone else said we need more info to help you. Is your car under warranty?
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

you have a way of scanning for codes? bimmerlink, mhd, bm3, or an actual scanner? I think autozone will scan your car and tell you the codes. and it's hard to say if it's your plugs without codes.. could also be a vacuum issue, a sensor, fuel pump/pressure, maybe vanos related, who knows, the list can go on without codes to narrow it down.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a scanner. I haven't changed the spark plugs, and reading that they're supposed to changed about every 50k miles, mine are overdue. So I'm hoping it's that.
I took in the car this morning, we'll see what they say.

Thanks for the heads up[/QUOTE]

Good luck, as mentioned above there are many causes for this, just ask me lol.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #10
joshhwhaa
Rep

Update:

So I got the call back and they said it was the fuel pump. However they're advising to change the fuel pump and the EKPS.

Total to replace both is about $2,000

Should I go somewhere else? Any suggestions on how much time frame I have before really having to replace them?

Appreciate everyone's feedback
      06-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #11
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Update:

So I got the call back and they said it was the fuel pump. However they're advising to change the fuel pump and the EKPS.

Should I go somewhere else? Any suggestions on how much time frame I have before really having to replace them?

I assume you mean the LPFP then. Do you frequently run your tank almost completely empty like you described? Its possible you have worn it out prematurely by doing that. I dont see any specific reason the EKP would also need to be replaced, unless it somehow overheated or got damaged by a failing LPFP.

IMO i wouldn't pay $2000 for that... but we have no additional information to help determine if that is the correct diagnosis. How did the car drive when you took it to the dealer after refilling gas?
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
joshhwhaa
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Update:

I assume you mean the LPFP then. Do you frequently run your tank almost completely empty like you described? Its possible you have worn it out prematurely by doing that. I dont see any specific reason the EKP would also need to be replaced, unless it somehow overheated or got damaged by a failing LPFP.

IMO i wouldn't pay $2000 for that... but we have no additional information to help determine if that is the correct diagnosis. How did the car drive when you took it to the dealer after refilling gas?
I don't usually run the car close to empty. Usually fill up at about 50 to empty or sooner.

They stated EKPS is about 7/10 that it doesn't need to be replaced, but it is advised.

They said the heat made the fuel pump go out lol

When I drove it this morning, it seems to be running fine. Power was there, no shaking, no turning on/off, etc
      06-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #13
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I don't usually run the car close to empty. Usually fill up at about 50 to empty or sooner.

They stated EKPS is about 7/10 that it doesn't need to be replaced, but it is advised.

When I drove it this morning, it seems to be running fine. Power was there, no shaking, no turning on/off, etc
Up to you, but it sounds like you might have just ran the tank too low and it literally stalled from low fuel... If the car is running fine after refilling i would not replace the fuel pump yet; the LPFP is generally quite reliable (assuming its not one of the early ones that i think had a bulletin out). Its possible you did some damage though. Running the tank really low does make the pump run hotter since it is not submerged in fuel. IMO put some more miles on it and try not to go below 1/4 tank or so.

No way i would do the EKP, seems like they are just trying to sell you that.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #14
joshhwhaa
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Up to you, but it sounds like you might have just ran the tank too low and it literally stalled from low fuel... If the car is running fine after refilling i would not replace the fuel pump yet; the LPFP is generally quite reliable (assuming its not one of the early ones that i think had a bulletin out). Its possible you did some damage though. Running the tank really low does make the pump run hotter since it is not submerged in fuel. IMO put some more miles on it and try not to go below 1/4 tank or so.

No way i would do the EKP, seems like they are just trying to sell you that.
Sameeeeee lol. I think they're just trying to sell me that EKPS.
They did run the diagnostic and got an error on the fuel pump though.
So I'll probably just get that to be on the safe side and then buy a scanner for future usage.

Thanks a lot for everything man