F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Which one is louder?
Studio RSR

06-26-2020, 12:09 AM   #1
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Which one is louder?

I recently bought the borla atak and waiting for it to arrive. I saw a video on YouTube and somebody has the axle back for the borla atak and also a VRSF catless downpipe. Will this be louder than the catback borla atak with stock downpipe? My only mods will only be intake and exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:17 AM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox335i View Post
I recently bought the borla atak and waiting for it to arrive. I saw a video on YouTube and somebody has the axle back for the borla atak and also a VRSF catless downpipe. Will this be louder than the catback borla atak with stock downpipe? My only mods will only be intake and exhaust.
EDIT - deleted this because i read your original post wrong, sorry
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:19 AM   #3
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
probably louder being catless and the axleback, but the whole point of the Borla ATAK (Acoustically Tuned Applied Kinetics) is the use of the axleback with the resonator. the people that paid money for the axleback portion probly paid more than they should have for it being by itself. their is an interesting video on how Borla designs the "multi-core resonator" based on the specific vehicle to reduce drone and help flow, but it is a marketing video after all, and they probly all say "reduced drone and improved flow".
      06-26-2020, 12:40 AM   #4
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
Quote:
probably louder being catless and the axleback, but the whole point of the Borla ATAK (Acoustically Tuned Applied Kinetics) is the use of the axleback with the resonator. the people that paid money for the axleback portion probly paid more than they should have for it being by itself. their is an interesting video on how Borla designs the "multi-core resonator" based on the specific vehicle to reduce drone and help flow, but it is a marketing video after all, and they probly all say "reduced drone and improved flow".
So catback with stock dp is louder than atak muffler with VRSF dp? If that's not the case then I'll be doing a dp also.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:49 AM   #5
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
Quote:
So catback with stock dp is louder than atak muffler with VRSF dp? If that's not the case then I'll be doing a dp also.

I thought u were comparing stock dp with just the Borla muffler vs catless and full Borla exhaust.. in that case a catless DP will always be louder, especially when paired with the full Borla exhaust (including midpipe).. Borla Atak and Dinan w/ resonator delete and both paired with catless dp's are 2 of my favorite exhausts and reasonably priced too compared to some of the others.
      06-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Anything with a catless downpipe will be louder then anything with a stock..
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #7
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
The exhaust will obviously give sound and maybe a tiny bit of performance but adding either a high Flow DP or catless DP will give sound and more performance. I personally have a stock exhaust but a catless and it's Deff got a nice sound compared to stock.
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #8
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpriest7893 View Post
Quote:
So a borla muffler + VRSF downpipe will be louder than a borla catback with stock downpipe?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #9
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So a borla muffler + VRSF downpipe will be louder than a borla catback with stock downpipe?
I would imagine that the borla muffler and a catless dp would be louder then catback. The downpipe is the first restriction and that stock down pipe really really restricts your exhaust. And then if you want to go even louder you can take the resonator or ( mid pipe) out and straight pipe that if you truly wanted too but I believe most people on the forum usually have a great paired exhaust with a downpipe
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #10
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I would imagine that the borla muffler and a catless dp would be louder then catback. The downpipe is the first restriction and that stock down pipe really really restricts your exhaust. And then if you want to go even louder you can take the resonator or ( mid pipe) out and straight pipe that if you truly wanted too but I believe most people on the forum usually have a great paired exhaust with a downpipe
Cool thanks. I hope the ATAK is loud enough without a downpipe..
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Cool thanks. I hope the ATAK is loud enough without a downpipe..
Catback Borla ATAK will be pretty loud even with stock downpipe.

I have the Borla S Type and when I went from stock exhaust to the Borla it was a big increase in volume. I now have added a high flow cat and it became even louder but sounds great to me.

I also believe the ATAK is the loudest of the Borla options so yes it should be loud and you should love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #12
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias435 View Post

I have the Borla S Type and when I went from stock exhaust to the Borla it was a big increase in volume. I now have added a high flow cat and it became even louder but sounds great to me.

I also believe the ATAK is the loudest of the Borla options so yes it should be loud and you should love it.
Yea OP you will definitely notice a big difference by buddy has that setup on his 335i, If its not loud enough you could always do simple resonator delete which will step it up that much more in terms of loudness (but quite raspy), take it further and do an after market DP with Midpipe and im sure your neighbors will love you.

I have the MPE and a VRSF DP which has pretty loud cold starts, i can only imagine how loud the above setup I mentioned must be.
      06-26-2020, 07:25 PM   #13
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinniciF32 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias435 View Post

Yea OP you will definitely notice a big difference by buddy has that setup on his 335i, If its not loud enough you could always do simple resonator delete which will step it up that much more in terms of loudness (but quite raspy), take it further and do an after market DP with Midpipe and im sure your neighbors will love you.

I have the MPE and a VRSF DP which has pretty loud cold starts, i can only imagine how loud the above setup I mentioned must be.
I had a CH R1 which had no resonator and y pipe no muffler and it was droning like crazy. I just hope the ATAK is pretty loud.
Appreciate 0