F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Decent Cycling Forum
Extreme Powerhouse

07-14-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport Step Auto

Decent Cycling Forum

Started to get into MTB through lockdown and wondered if anyone can recommend a decent UK forum for biking?

Want to discuss bike maintenance & trails/routes etc with a view to doing meets when we can.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:25 PM   #2
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep
Drives: tesla model 3 performance

I've been a member of singletrackworld.com forum for years and the members are great.
Past - Mini Cooper S 7 5 door, BMW 120d m sport, Saab 9-3 2.8 V6 turbo, Mazda RX8 231, Mini Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #3
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanchurch View Post
I've been a member of singletrackworld.com forum for years and the members are great.
As said above, singletrackworld is good or pinkbike is another option if a little US biased.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Maybe TouringPleb could start a MTB Advice thread ...The "Road Bike Advice" thread was pretty popular...
Appreciate 3
JustChris17605.50
      07-15-2020, 03:03 AM   #5
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcuprar View Post
Started to get into MTB through lockdown and wondered if anyone can recommend a decent UK forum for biking?

Want to discuss bike maintenance & trails/routes etc with a view to doing meets when we can.
singletrackworld, pinkbike and bikeradar are your best starting points; you should be able to find other riders in your area that you can meet up with.

If you're after a specific area then facebook might be worth a look :-/

For maintenance, the part tool youtube channel covers pretty much every aspect, the GMBN tech channel is MTB specific and the MBR channel has great content too. Reddit also has some great sub reddits on biking/maintenance if you have specific questions.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 06:50 AM   #6
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

Quote:

Start the chat on here?
I've been MTBing since before front suspension was a thing - so ask away.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #7
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashollie View Post
Quote:

Start the chat on here?
Thanks buddy.

I've not had a bike since I was 15 so almost 15 years ago. Recently got a beginners MTB, nothing fancy just something for me to get out and about on tbh with a view to start doing some trails.

I'm amazed at how much technology has moved on. The bike has hydraulic brakes which I think are abit overkill and seem very high maintenance (can't put bike upside down or on its side etc.

I was having an issue with my chain coming off when I pedalled backwards but I think I've cracked it by adjusting the deraillers to sort it out. Alignment seems to be key!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #8
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Start the chat on here?
Thanks buddy.

I've not had a bike since I was 15 so almost 15 years ago. Recently got a beginners MTB, nothing fancy just something for me to get out and about on tbh with a view to start doing some trails.

I'm amazed at how much technology has moved on. The bike has hydraulic brakes which I think are abit overkill and seem very high maintenance (can't put bike upside down or on its side etc.

I was having an issue with my chain coming off when I pedalled backwards but I think I've cracked it by adjusting the deraillers to sort it out. Alignment seems to be key!
I'm not sure what bike you've got but that's the first time I've heard that you can't put a bike on it's side or be turned upside down. The brakes should be a closed system so you can put the bike anyway you like. I know mine have been put every which way and the brakes are still fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 01:49 AM   #9
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep

As your experience of riding in the muck of winter and your downhill confidence increases you will see the need for disc brakes. They are much more reliable in crap weather and the increased speeds that people reach these days. They also preserve the life of your rims by not braking with a grinding paste of mud on your wheels.

Yes I've have never heard you can't turn hydraulic upside down. It's a closed system. If the reservoir on the lever isn't brim full this could lead to air traveling into the hoses. just make sure the reservoir is full. Very easy to do. just make sure you use compatible brake fluid. Set the reservoir perfectly flat by slackening the mounts on the bars and turn it flat. take the lid from the reservoir off and fill it to the top. replace the lid wipe off any excess fluid. Re set the brake position.

Re gear alignment. look at the rear derailleur arm from behind the back wheel. iyshould be directly below the sprocket the chain is on. if not it's trying to move the chain between the next sprocket. You get a slight ticking it should be silent. On the cable is a knurled nut that allows you to alter the gear cable tension which in turn fine tuned the position of the rear derailleur. use only 1/4 or half a turn either way til it's all perfectly in line.

the same thing applies to the front derailleur
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 05:54 AM   #10
Winifred Mcdonald
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: A 2016 Subaru

Quote:
singletrackworld, pinkbike and bikeradar are your best starting points; you should be able to find other riders in your area that you can meet up with.

If you're after a specific area then facebook might be worth a look :-/

For maintenance, the part tool youtube channel covers pretty much every aspect, the GMBN tech channel is MTB specific and the MBR channel has great content too. Reddit also has some great sub reddits on biking/maintenance if you have specific questions.
Thanks, Ridg! Might as well join up one of these when I get to the UK after the pandemic.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:08 AM   #11
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As your experience of riding in the muck of winter and your downhill confidence increases you will see the need for disc brakes. They are much more reliable in crap weather and the increased speeds that people reach these days. They also preserve the life of your rims by not braking with a grinding paste of mud on your wheels.

Yes I've have never heard you can't turn hydraulic upside down. It's a closed system. If the reservoir on the lever isn't brim full this could lead to air traveling into the hoses. just make sure the reservoir is full. Very easy to do. just make sure you use compatible brake fluid. Set the reservoir perfectly flat by slackening the mounts on the bars and turn it flat. take the lid from the reservoir off and fill it to the top. replace the lid wipe off any excess fluid. Re set the brake position.

Re gear alignment. look at the rear derailleur arm from behind the back wheel. iyshould be directly below the sprocket the chain is on. if not it's trying to move the chain between the next sprocket. You get a slight ticking it should be silent. On the cable is a knurled nut that allows you to alter the gear cable tension which in turn fine tuned the position of the rear derailleur. use only 1/4 or half a turn either way til it's all perfectly in line.

the same thing applies to the front derailleur
Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciated.

For the brakes when I turned my bike back over the front brake lever went loose and I could pull it all the way back to the handlebar. I had to pump it for a good 30 seconds to get it back again so maybe air in the system?

Managed to sort the derailleur thanks for the easy to understand explanation
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:16 AM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

For the brakes when I turned my bike back over the front brake lever went loose and I could pull it all the way back to the handlebar. I had to pump it for a good 30 seconds to get it back again so maybe air in the system?

Dont pull the brake levers while the wheels are off, you have a nightmare usually separating the pads again to ft the rotor back in. Not sure if that's what you're describing or not sorry...also apols if you already know that. Most disc equiped bikes come with a little plastic insert for between the pads to stop this.

Must admit I've not experienced what you describe with hydraulic discs, cable discs yes (terrible brakes).
      07-21-2020, 06:25 AM   #13
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:

Dont pull the brake levers while the wheels are off, you have a nightmare usually separating the pads again to ft the rotor back in. Not sure if that's what you're describing or not sorry...also apols if you already know that. Most disc equiped bikes come with a little plastic insert for between the pads to stop this.

Must admit I've not experienced what you describe with hydraulic discs, cable discs yes (terrible brakes).
I already made that mistake when I picked the bike up!! Took the wheel off and put it in the car and then hit the lever whilst the wheel was off! Nightmare!!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17605.50
      07-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #14
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Sounds like you had a reservoir that had air in and by inverting the bike the air slowly move to the hose and to the caliper.
With the bike upright over time the air should move back to the reservoir. Do as I described above to check the fluid level.

tt should be brim full. Most brakes have a solid cap that's screwed on and under that a rubber seal that sits into the fluid this often has a depression in to the fluid to prevent air and to ensure the reservoir is full.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #15
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:

I already made that mistake when I picked the bike up!! Took the wheel off and put it in the car and then hit the lever whilst the wheel was off! Nightmare!!
Like you mate...you only do it once