F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Porsche Teycan.
ARMA SPEED

07-15-2020, 03:02 AM   #1
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep
Drives: tesla model 3 performance

Porsche Teycan.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Past - Mini Cooper S 7 5 door, BMW 120d m sport, Saab 9-3 2.8 V6 turbo, Mazda RX8 231, Mini Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:22 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanchurch View Post
Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
I think I wish I could afford one but my experience is I cant - nor could I be bothered to join the waiting list....

Sorry not very helpful! The best driving electric car by none apparently - but not the best driving Porsche....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:43 AM   #3
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

I turned one down to go on the waiting list for a 992 Turbo S.

If I had known Covid was going to happen I would have got the Tycan.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:54 AM   #4
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

I'd wait for the Taycan Cross Turismo as it'll be a more usable version as a daily driver. If it's a weekend fun or sports car I can't really see the point of going electric.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:01 AM   #5
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
I'd wait for the Taycan Cross Turismo as it'll be a more usable version as a daily driver. If it's a weekend fun or sports car I can't really see the point of going electric.
I'm looking at is as a daily but I had had that thought the boot space and middle rear seat (which is an option) is very small.
Past - Mini Cooper S 7 5 door, BMW 120d m sport, Saab 9-3 2.8 V6 turbo, Mazda RX8 231, Mini Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #6
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I would love one as they look great but also not sure on full electric for the fun and enjoyment car. My budget won’t stretch to one sadly so not a big dilemma in reality.

Having said all that I am likely to be putting my Macan GTS up for sale soon. Sapphire blue, Totally immaculate and the perfect family car with great looks, enough space for a family, good pace with 360 ps and the lovely Porsche sports exhaust sounds. Only 9900 miles from new in Sept 2016, pampered like a baby and hardly even seen a wet road. Just over £9k worth of options including the big ones like pano roof, 21”black Sports Classics, extended full leather interior and sports Chrono.

Drop me a pm if you want any more information or are interested.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post

Having said all that I am likely to be putting my Macan GTS up for sale soon. Sapphire blue, Totally immaculate and the perfect family car with great looks, enough space for a family, good pace with 360 ps and the lovely Porsche sports exhaust sounds. Only 9900 miles from new in Sept 2016, pampered like a baby and hardly even seen a wet road. Just over £9k worth of options including the big ones like pano roof, 21”black Sports Classics, extended full leather interior and sports Chrono.

Drop me a pm if you want any more information or are interested.
Might disagree on the "enough space for a family point" - especially when they are in car seats....

But a lovely car, so must be something nice coming to replace it!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 01:11 PM   #8
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Wouldn’t be any issue with car seats unless you want to put three across the seat and if that’s the case there aren’t a lot of cars that can do that.

I have two teenage kids and the Macan more than accommodates us all easily.
Appreciate 1
Hanchurch321.50
      07-15-2020, 01:17 PM   #9
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Wouldn’t be any issue with car seats unless you want to put three across the seat and if that’s the case there aren’t a lot of cars that can do that.

I have two teenage kids and the Macan more than accommodates us all easily.
Whereas at 5'10 but long legged my 5'7" son was distinctly unimpressed behind me..

But it was more kids of the age that need car seats also often need all the accompaniments and i found the boot distinctly lacking for a car that big outside - but probably better than a Taycan...
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2020, 01:25 PM   #10
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Been a passenger in one. Very nice, only downside i'd say is the range at the minute. Rather impressed, looks better in person than on the pictures IMO. Mate has a Tesla and there's just no comparison on build quality the Porsche is streaks ahead (As you'd expect). Nice interior and you get a lot more feedback/experience than you do in a Tesla. Tesla is just silence where the Porsche seems more like a car - which for me is better.
Appreciate 1
RustyBitz1573.50
      07-15-2020, 02:25 PM   #11
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
Been a passenger in one. Very nice, only downside i'd say is the range at the minute. Rather impressed, looks better in person than on the pictures IMO. Mate has a Tesla and there's just no comparison on build quality the Porsche is streaks ahead (As you'd expect). Nice interior and you get a lot more feedback/experience than you do in a Tesla. Tesla is just silence where the Porsche seems more like a car - which for me is better.
Trying to decide between the model 3 performance and Taycan, I think it's going Tesla way for the price difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #12
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Trying to decide between the model 3 performance and Taycan, I think it's going Tesla way for the price difference.
Mate has a Model3 Long Range AWD with the FSD. He's had it about a year, tbh the build quality for a £55k is shocking, i've seen Vauxhalls/Citroen's better put together. Came with damage on the front bumper (Common problem) and had to be resprayed 4 times. Quality control at Tesla seems non existent and the service from the dealers is pretty poor.

As an overall package with the Superchargers etc works well, he gets 280 realistic range, no where near the advertised 360 miles. The handling is poor, but I guess it's comes with that type of car...the performance model probably improves on this.

But on Price point if you are comparing to the Taycan to the Model3 then the Model 3 will be a clear winner. I reckon you'd need to spec a Taycan up to around £95k/100k mark for a good car. But really it should be compared to a Model S. The Handling and build quality would just win it over for me hands down.

If you do end up buying one though let me know and i'll let you have his referral code for Tesla. You end up getting free miles or something?

One good thing about the Model 3 though, the seats are really nice and pretty comfy!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #13
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Mate has a Model3 Long Range AWD with the FSD. He's had it about a year, tbh the build quality for a £55k is shocking, i've seen Vauxhalls/Citroen's better put together. Came with damage on the front bumper (Common problem) and had to be resprayed 4 times. Quality control at Tesla seems non existent and the service from the dealers is pretty poor.

As an overall package with the Superchargers etc works well, he gets 280 realistic range, no where near the advertised 360 miles. The handling is poor, but I guess it's comes with that type of car...the performance model probably improves on this.

But on Price point if you are comparing to the Taycan to the Model3 then the Model 3 will be a clear winner. I reckon you'd need to spec a Taycan up to around £95k/100k mark for a good car. But really it should be compared to a Model S. The Handling and build quality would just win it over for me hands down.

If you do end up buying one though let me know and i'll let you have his referral code for Tesla. You end up getting free miles or something?

One good thing about the Model 3 though, the seats are really nice and pretty comfy!
I've driven the models 3 and S, the S is too big, the 3 is perfect except for the boot 5% if the time, I know what you mean about the build quality I've been in a few now as they are becoming popular some are ok some are horrific, Tesla will fix issues if you push but you have to take the car and get it fixed afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #14
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Can you get a Taycan for less than 95k? I know there is a base model bu with zero discount and a few must have extras you will be well into 90s. To get one with all the spec a Model 3 Perf has - and the performance - wouldnt you be at the higher power models.... and #120k plus?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #15
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

Can you get a Taycan for less than 95k? I know there is a base model bu with zero discount and a few must have extras you will be well into 90s. To get one with all the spec a Model 3 Perf has - and the performance - wouldnt you be at the higher power models.... and #120k plus?
Either would be a company car, both look very attractive as they are electric. In the past I would have taken the car allowance and bought what I wanted but now it's very different.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #16
davyk31
Major General
Rep

TAycan as a company car would be very nice indeed and a total bargain now for the employee as regards BIK.
Appreciate 1
Hanchurch321.50
      07-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #17
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
TAycan as a company car would be very nice indeed and a total bargain now for the employee as regards BIK.
Indeed but I imagine lease costs are very high so you must have an understanding boss (your own company I assume...)

What about the Polestar 2? less performance oriented but better build than the Tesla and a better price than the Porsche....

I have 2 friends with Teslas and one with an Audi e-tron - funnily enough all run their own companies.... the BIK discrepancy is ludicrous, it really is free money!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:13 PM   #18
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed but I imagine lease costs are very high so you must have an understanding boss (your own company I assume...)

What about the Polestar 2? less performance oriented but better build than the Tesla and a better price than the Porsche....

I have 2 friends with Teslas and one with an Audi e-tron - funnily enough all run their own companies.... the BIK discrepancy is ludicrous, it really is free money!
I wish I owned the company😂, I'm a supermarket manager.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #19
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
I wish I owned the company😂, I'm a supermarket manager.
Must be harrods you manage then
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 11:24 PM   #20
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Am not sure how you can compare a Taycan to a Model 3. Remember the Model 3 was made to hit a headline price of $35k, its like comparing a remapped Golf R to a 911, yes the R might be quicker but if you can afford it do you really want to sit in a Golf everyday when you could be in a 911??

Quote:
You don't need a top spec Turbo S, even our base X is fast enough for public roads, I've speced up a 4S with all the options to 'just' £92k. Bare in mind a Model S starts at £70k ish today and our Model X if bought in the same spec today is £95k I would say the 4S Taycan is almost 'good value'.

Am pretty sure my next car will be a Taycan, but that isn't going to happen for another 5-10 years as currently we have much better things to spend our money on. The Taycan is a great car and EV, its miles ahead of a Model 3. However sadly it is priced at a level of 'if you need to ask how much, you cannot afford it Sir'.

Last edited by gangzoom; 07-15-2020 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 11:37 PM   #21
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
I've driven the models 3 and S, the S is too big, the 3 is perfect except for the boot 5% if the time, I know what you mean about the build quality I've been in a few now as they are becoming popular some are ok some are horrific, Tesla will fix issues if you push but you have to take the car and get it fixed afterwards.
Tesla reliability is awful, similar to BMW. However actual interior quality is fine. I gave our X its bi annual interior clean last weekend. Bare in mind this is our family hack, it carries a kid everyday, has suffered previous potty training failures (wee and poo), skip runs, have had picnics in it etc etc.

Its coming up to 3 years old and 36k, but after a clean the interior still looks almost new. A Taycan will clearly feel nicer inside, especially compared to a 3, but functionally nothing wrong with what Tesla sells.

Last edited by gangzoom; 07-15-2020 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 02:13 AM   #22
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post

You don't need a top spec Turbo S, even our base X is fast enough for public roads, I've speced up a 4S with all the options to 'just' £92k. Bare in mind a Model S starts at £70k ish today and our Model X if bought in the same spec today is £95k I would say the 4S Taycan is almost 'good value'.

Am pretty sure my next car will be a Taycan, but that isn't going to happen for another 5-10 years as currently we have much better things to spend our money on. The Taycan is a great car and EV, its miles ahead of a Model 3. However sadly it is priced at a level of 'if you need to ask how much, you cannot afford it Sir'.
£92k with no discount is a bloody expensive car. I'll keep my M5 for 70% of the price and have a Model 3 for the station run with the change....alright Golf GTE is probably a better fit.

I like the Taycan. But I will never buy one. If I was buying electric now, Polestar 2. But with the development of electric products, I am concerned about buying one now that in 3 years time is pretty much obsolete tech wise....

Now if I was putting it through my own company for zero BIK and getting tax relief, bring it on.....
Appreciate 1
gangzoom1724.00