BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-19-2020, 05:51 AM   #1
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 45e

45e - 12v outlet in the trunk, active when ignition off? Power from which batteries?

Hi,
I have a 45e and in a few days I am going for a longer drive with a cooler box attached to the 12v in the trunk. We are also taking a ferry, and that's when a question came to mind: Will the cooler box be powered on (12v in trunk) when the car is turned off while on the ferry? For just a few minutes after the car is shut off, or for several hours / til the car battery starts running low?

From which batteries is the power drained? The main battery pack (21 kwh), or from the smaller "car batteries"?

Thanks =)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 05:57 AM   #2
Pateeke81
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Current: 2019 BWM X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anterialis View Post
Hi,
I have a 45e and in a few days I am going for a longer drive with a cooler box attached to the 12v in the trunk. We are also taking a ferry, and that's when a question came to mind: Will the cooler box be powered on (12v in trunk) when the car is turned off while on the ferry? For just a few minutes after the car is shut off, or for several hours / til the car battery starts running low?

From which batteries is the power drained? The main battery pack (21 kwh), or from the smaller "car batteries"?

Thanks =)
My current 5 series shuts off all power after 15 minutes, including all the 12v sockets.
It will be from the 12v battery, otherwise they would have to install a converter for the sockets, costing money and adding weight.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 06:06 AM   #3
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep

Good point, thanks =)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I had the same question. Also for holiday. Did some research but haven't decided yet.

there are several types of cooling boxes. The more powerful can be used on 220V and 12V. If you cool them enough at home on 220V before leaving, apparently they stay cool quite a long time. You can still plug it in 12v while driving but it might be cool enough for the ferry trip (or out it on 220 in the ferry)

The 12v is connected to the normal battery but this is charged by the HV battery (if I am correct). The HV system is very sensitive for current loss for protection so it would switch if in case of loss of current.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I had the same question. Also for holiday. Did some research but haven't decided yet.

there are several types of cooling boxes. The more powerful can be used on 220V and 12V. If you cool them enough at home on 220V before leaving, apparently they stay cool quite a long time. You can still plug it in 12v while driving but it might be cool enough for the ferry trip (or out it on 220 in the ferry)

The 12v is connected to the normal battery but this is charged by the HV battery (if I am correct). The HV system is very sensitive for current loss for protection so it would switch if in case of loss of current.
Thanks! Yes, I am not worried about running flat on battery, I guess all new cars have protection against this. More curious about whether or not the 12v will keep supplying power for hours or just minutes after shutting the car off. =)
Appreciate 0