F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Xdrive AutoX / Cruise / Occasional HPDE Build
proTUNING Freaks

07-20-2020, 05:56 PM   #1
S6K
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Xdrive AutoX / Cruise / Occasional HPDE Build

In need of some recommendations-

I am currently building a car for mostly autoX and cruising with the occasional road trip or run to grocery store as I normally commute public transit... was planning on getting Ohlins road & track coils with swift springs however I just realized Ohlins do not fit Xdrive cars... what are some good performance coilover options you all are running? I do not have EDC. My track wheels are going to be 18 x 9.5 ET35 Apex SM-10s w square Ventus R-S4 255/35zr18. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 11:10 PM   #2
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Yeah I wish ohlins supported xdrive as well. We also miss out on Fortune Auto

- KW V1-3 (height only/dampening adj/dampening+rebound)
- ST Suspension X (dampening only?) /XA (dampening+rebound adj) these are just KW without the stainless shocks
- Bilstein B14 PSS (height only) / B16 PSS10 (dampening+rebound adj)

Down to BCs on the low end, but easily rebuildable with good support and adjustability for the $$. I believe if you call them up they will build you bespoke and hardcore options as well. External resevoirs and so on.

Bespoke options:
Fat Cat Motorsports
Feal Suspension
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
S6K166.00
      07-20-2020, 11:22 PM   #3
S6K
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post

- ST Suspension X (dampening only?) /XA (dampening+rebound adj) these are just KW without the stainless shocks

Down to BCs on the low end, but easily rebuildable with good support and adjustability for the $$. I believe if you call them up they will build you bespoke and hardcore options as well. External resevoirs and so on.

Bespoke options:
Fat Cat Motorsports
Feal Suspension
Thanks for the reply!

Do you have any of these?

Leaning towards the B16 PSS for something I can just order and go...

| 2020 X3M | 2015 335 | IG & YT: @straight6kris |
335 Build Thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post27268174
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 11:27 PM   #4
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdevito757 View Post
Quote:

Bespoke options:
Fat Cat Motorsports
Feal Suspension
Thanks for the reply!

No just in the same boat with xdrive and plans for hpde events.

I've had BCs on my previous car with swift springs which wasn't too bad, but that car also had slightly stretched tires and no camber.

The PSS10 were my top option until it looked like Fortune Auto would give us some love, but now doesn't seem so any longer.

Feal also look good as a custom option wirh BC modularity and support, but I'd likely just end up scooping a good deal KW set if I keep the car long enough. Life changes.

Your best option for quick turnaround and double duty will be the KW and stiffer springs, unless you can find a set of PSS10 quickly. All the Bilstein parts seem to always be on backorder. Else give Fat Cat and Feal a ring.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
S6K166.00
      07-21-2020, 08:16 PM   #5
S6K
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bespoke options:
Fat Cat Motorsports
Feal Suspension
Thanks for the reply!

I've had BCs on my previous car with swift springs which wasn't too bad, but that car also had slightly stretched tires and no camber.

The PSS10 were my top option until it looked like Fortune Auto would give us some love, but now doesn't seem so any longer.

Feal also look good as a custom option wirh BC modularity and support, but I'd likely just end up scooping a good deal KW set if I keep the car long enough. Life changes.

Your best option for quick turnaround and double duty will be the KW and stiffer springs, unless you can find a set of PSS10 quickly. All the Bilstein parts seem to always be on backorder. Else give Fat Cat and Feal a ring.
Thank you so much for your insight as you appear to be in the same situation as me with a little more research conducted 👍.

Leaning towards a KW setup with swift springs. Need to do some more research on camber plates available

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #6
S6K
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bespoke options:
Fat Cat Motorsports
Feal Suspension
Thanks for the reply!

Also correct me if I'm wrong but it appears only the KW V1s are the only KW option available for xdrive without EDC?

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #7
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:
Also correct me if I'm wrong but it appears only the KW V1s are the only KW option available for xdrive without EDC?
you can get the V3s for the non-edc 335 xdrive. not easy to find but they exist.

BC and Bilstein are also options...both are rebuildable and you can upgrade the springs on both. I would have gone bilstein but always seem to be on backorder and i didnt feel like waiting...

you should be aware that if you do upgrade the springs on BCs, the ID of the BC springs is 62mm. most of the aftermarket is 60 or 65mm...so you may need to modify the lower spring seat.

**EDIT: I just did the springs on my car. 2.5in (~63.5mm) ID hyperco 450lbs/in...note that 60mm ID spring will fit but will be tight around the shock dust boots in the front. at 2.5 inches, you may not need to modify the spring seat with the BC setup as its close to the original BC spring ID.

Last edited by brigade24; 07-31-2020 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: new info...
Appreciate 1
S6K166.00
      07-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #8
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
Quote:
you can get the V3s for the non-edc 335 xdrive. not easy to find but they exist.

BC and Bilstein are also options...both are rebuildable and you can upgrade the springs on both. I would have gone bilstein but always seem to be on backorder and i didnt feel like waiting...

you should be aware that if you do upgrade the springs on BCs, the ID of the BC springs is 62mm. most of the aftermarket is 60 or 65mm...so you may need to modify the lower spring seat
I've been in this boat with BC + Swift springs on one of my old cars (audi). Luckily, I found Vogtland sold their rear spring seat, with correct OD, separately.

However, in my search I discovered that many people encountered the same problem. Quick search on eBay, and you will find many rubber or metal adapters
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
S6K166.00
brigade24156.00
      07-29-2020, 03:34 PM   #9
Bimmertech80
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xdrive coupe

Garage List
If you want the best check out mcs. They have different levels.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #10
Last Gear Life
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 M3

I would say look in KW V3 with swift springs. I heard V3 with swift springs are great for HPDE and thats what I waiting on to install under my car.

Also look into getting vorshlag camber plate. But if you go V3 way, you need to wait until you get the V3 to see what springs KW will send you before you get the camber plate. The springs size might be different.

I can give you more feedback after I get this week.
      07-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #11
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

just as a correction to earlier, ST X coilovers are only height adjustable and ST XA are height+dampening adjustable.. one suspension company that I just heard of that seems to get pretty good feedback is flatout suspension, they offer fully customized builds, and some of their coilovers are dampening+rebound adjustable and come with camber plates for half the price of some of the others.. I just recently heard of them, but might be worth adding to the research list?