E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Codes P2402 and 2A13

08-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #1
bimmerrad20
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Codes P2402 and 2A13

My 2011 328i is throwing these codes, the 2a13 says "pending fault present", anyone know what this could me?[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Eh that's your evap dmtl pump taking a crap. This is a common item that breaks. You can replace it if you want or just keep clearing the code until it maybe gets back in working order, sometimes the solenoid inside them gets stuck or lodged. Mine used to throw the codes and click a lot when filling up gas but now it's good
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerrad20 View Post
My 2011 328i is throwing these codes, the 2a13 says "pending fault present", anyone know what this could me?
Bentley Definition for P2402 (P-code) and its Hex-code equivalent, 2A13:
P2402 | 2A13 | DMTL Activation Control Circuit High

BMW Fault Code Lookup Definition for SAME, and Link to Fault Information Sheet:
P2402 | 2A13 | DME: DMTL leak diagnosis pump, activation | MSV80
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...YAOAA2ADAANAA=

Note that the "Service Plan" states "EVAP System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit High". There are two OTHER P-codes (P2400 & P2401) for (0) "Activation Control Circuit OPEN", and (1) "Activation Control Circuit LOW". Also, the "Service Notes" state:
1Check wiring
Repair if defective
If wiring is OK proceed
to check component
So the recommended sequence is to:
1) "check"/Test wiring; and THEN
2) "check"/Test Component (DMTL Module).

If you have INPA, you can use the attached "INPA > DME > F6 > F1 > Shft+F5 DMTL Activation" (Path or Menu Sequence) Screen to QUICKLY test Activation of each of the three DMTL Module Circuits: (1) Pump Motor, (2) Valve (Ventil), (3) Heater (Heizung). Ein = ON, Aus = OFF, von DME = return control to DME

If you have a Multimeter, you can use this TIS wiring diagram for 2008 & Later model "Diagnostic Module, Fuel Tank Leakage" to determine the source of the Fault:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...s-dmtl/vBYiM3Y

NOTE that there are actually three separate components in the Module: A Valve, A Motor (Pump), and a Heater. Note also that fuse F17 supplies power to the three elements of the module whenever Terminal 87 is Active (when ignition is ON, and for several minutes AFTER shutdown). That B+ or 12V+ is supplied via the Red/White wire at Pin #4 of Module Connector X1714. The DME completes each of the three circuits to activate that element of the Module by supplying a GROUND via the separate wires at pins #1, #2 & #3 of X1714. Here are "Installation Location" & "Connector View" for the Module Connector, X1714:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-328i-lim/RyLHb9A
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/CSmyXx5u

I would begin by disconnecting that connector and checking for any corrosion or other wiring/ connector issue that is visible. If THAT does NOT identify the cause of the issue, then I would test Continuity (Resistance/Ohms) of each of the three wires, between X1714 at the DMTL Module and Connector X60002 at the DME in the E-box. Note that the two intervening connectors (X6041 & X60551) are also in the E-box. Here are Installation Location & Connector View for the Connectors:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lim/1VnZAHHjcD
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/CTItv0r3
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-328i-lim/SL92ADs
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/CTItv0r3
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/CSp9RD6K

Since most of the reported issues with the DMTL wiring are wiring faults UNDER the vehicle at the rear, I would begin by testing continuity between Connector X6041 and DMTL Connector X1714.

For those who want to understand HOW the DMTL system works, here is the TIS "Functional Description":
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...s-dmtl/YAeRbCh

Please let us know what you find,
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
E92William1999.00
Mike K332.00
      05-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #4
Runnin'Rich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009MY E91 328Xi 6MT

Thread revival, apologies but there's a lot of good information from George above that would be good to keep in one place.

I have the 2402 code. It appeared after I jump started a friends car (not sure if related)

I first used INPA to test the functionality of the 3 circuits in the DMTL unit:
1) Valve, when activated I can hear it clicking open and INPA displays that it's operating
2) Motor, nothing happens
3) Heater, when activated INPA indicates the heater is on.

So I wanted to test the motor to see if it runs when grounded. I inserted a needle at the x1714 connector pin 1 ( brown / blue wire) and then used a wire to connect it to a ground point (rear subframe). The motor RAN!!

So then I wanted to test if there was a break in the wiring to the ecu. I opened the engine ecu ebox lid and found connector x6041. Again I put a needle down the connector at the brown/blue wire, used some spare wire to connect it to ground and again the motor ran.

I tested the resistance between x1714 and x6041 and got 0.5 ohms

So maybe there is a break in a wire inside the ebox I thought?(unlikely) So I found the white/violet wire at x60551 and connected it to ground - motor ran.

So I can only conclude that for some reason my engine ECU is not switching the motor circuit to ground.

Is there anything else I could try to test?
Or is it likely I need to send my ECU away for micro component repair?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 12:36 AM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin'Rich View Post
... I have the 2402 code... I first used INPA to test the functionality of the 3 circuits in the DMTL unit:
1) Valve, when activated I can hear it clicking open and INPA displays that it's operating
2) Motor, nothing happens
3) Heater, when activated INPA indicates the heater is on.
[I assume that means that the INPA screen shows the circles filled & Valve/Heater ON when those two components are activated, but NOT when Pump is activated?]
So I wanted to test the motor to see if it runs when grounded. I inserted a needle at the x1714 connector pin 1 ( brown / blue wire) and then used a wire to connect it to a ground point (rear subframe). The motor RAN!! [Indicating Motor OK and Power supply OK, since the 3 components always have power, and DME provides separate Ground Signal to cause each component to operate]

So then I wanted to test if there was a break in the wiring to the ecu. I opened the engine ecu ebox lid and found connector x6041. Again I put a needle down the connector at the brown/blue wire, used some spare wire to connect it to ground and again the motor ran.

I tested the resistance between x1714 and x6041 and got 0.5 ohms [NOT sure what pins in each connector were test points, or what the resistance of the wire you ran between DMTL & E-box was?? Is that resistance between X1714/1 (Pin #1, Brown/Blue wire) and X6041/8 (Pin#8 at other end of Brown/Blue wire in E-box)? Perhaps that wire is damaged, as the resistance should NOT be that high. NOT sure why applying Ground to X60551/11 causes pump to run though if that wire is damaged, EXCEPT see below: Starting Conditions for Pump, ISTA DMTL FUB.

So maybe there is a break in a wire inside the ebox I thought?(unlikely) So I found the white/violet wire at x60551 and connected it to ground - motor ran.
So I can only conclude that for some reason my engine ECU is not switching the motor circuit to ground.
"Some reason" may be the 2402 Fault Code, OR an issue within the DME. The FUB attached to NEXT Post says ONE of the necessary Start Conditions BEFORE the DME will operate the DMTL Pump:
"No fault entries in the DME for the diagnostic module for tank leaks or the tank ventilation system."

You have Fault Code 2402. ISTA Definition for that code:
2402 | DME: Leakage diagnosis pump - Signal High
So WHAT is actually "High"?
INPA usually gives a P-code as well as a Hex-code, and sometimes a Decimal Code (all meaning same thing ;-). "Pump Control Circuit Signal High" is given as the Definition for P1446 in Bentley. Does INPA show that or some other P-code?

I'm NOT sure what is being measured that is "too High". Is the resistance in the wire between the DME & DMTL what is "too High"? In examining the DMTL SSP wiring diagram, I do NOT see any separate "Signal wire" for the Pump Motor. So does the DME measure the current flowing through the pump motor which would vary depending upon LOAD on the motor, or resistance to air flow. If NO leak, current is Higher?

I don't have the magic answer, but I DO have a LOT of questions. My SWAG is that if you figure out WHAT 2402 means, and fix that, delete code, pump should run. Another way of looking at the question: WHY won't the DME Activate the Pump using F6 Activations in INPA? Does a Fault Code (2402) prevent Pump Activation, even though INPA Activates the Heater & Valve using SAME INPA Screen?

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 12:40 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attachments related to prior post: DMTL FUB (2 pages) & Connector View of X60002/16 (White/Violet wire) at DME.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 12:11 PM   #7
Runnin'Rich
Private First Class
Rep

thank you very much for your reply George,

This morning I thought I would have one more try of the INPA activation of the pump before I opened my DME, and lo and behold the pump motor ran. I then did an INPA EOL(end of line) DMTL test and the test completed with the bar graphs in the green!

This was with the 2a13 fault code present in the DME.

So I can only conclude that my pump motor was stuck? By me connecting a wire to ground, maybe there was less resistance and therefore more current and it dislodged?

I imagine the pump motor is on its way out, so I'll see how it goes over the next few months

Wish I could have reported back before you wrote your last post.
Thank you very much for all your help,
Rich
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 03:29 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

OK, so all three Activations NOW WORK: Pump, Valve, Heater.
1) Does DME activate the pump as it should in the first several minutes after engine shutdown?
2) WHAT is causing P1402 | 2A13?

Bentley Definition of that code:
P2402 | 2A13 | DMTL Activation Control Circuit High

Once again: WHAT is too high?
George
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 11:34 PM   #9
Runnin'Rich
Private First Class
Rep

Just to report back, i bit the bullet and just replaced the DMTL pump and everything is working perfectly now after 2 months of use. My pump had an intermittent fault.
Thank you for your help in checking the wiring was good.
Appreciate 0