BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-15-2020, 02:26 PM   #1
Matt27
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

X5 45e specification changes from order

Hi all,

I have just taken delivery of my new X5 45e M Sport on Thursday and have already put 900 miles on it. It’s a lovely car and all I expected.

However, the specification delivered is a little different to ordered. The supplying dealer claims these are BMW driven changes, but I’m not sure as the BMW UK website still shows the equipment I ordered. The car was ordered in December 2019. I’d be grateful for comments on the below;

Technology pack

I ordered the car with the technology pack and expected to receive a display key, but have only been supplied with two normal keys and a card key. The dealer says display keys have been discontinued - although they are still shown on the BMW website.

Visibility Pack

I order the pack and it included Laser Lights and High Beam Assist. The car has been delivered with the Visibility Pack with adaptive LED lights.

Comfort Pack

I had ordered the car with rear roller blinds and it has been supplied without these, but with heated steering wheel (probably a better option in reality!)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt27 View Post
Hi all,

I have just taken delivery of my new X5 45e M Sport on Thursday and have already put 900 miles on it. It's a lovely car and all I expected.

However, the specification delivered is a little different to ordered. The supplying dealer claims these are BMW driven changes, but I'm not sure as the BMW UK website still shows the equipment I ordered. The car was ordered in December 2019. I'd be grateful for comments on the below;

Technology pack

I ordered the car with the technology pack and expected to receive a display key, but have only been supplied with two normal keys and a card key. The dealer says display keys have been discontinued - although they are still shown on the BMW website.

Visibility Pack

I order the pack and it included Laser Lights and High Beam Assist. The car has been delivered with the Visibility Pack with adaptive LED lights.

Comfort Pack

I had ordered the car with rear roller blinds and it has been supplied without these, but with heated steering wheel (probably a better option in reality!)
Didn't you get a list of options that you ordered?

On my order in Belgium it say indeed what packages I have chosen but it also describes what options are included in the package.

If you paid for the options you should get them.

I have the display key but never use it. Not a big loss at all if you didn't get it. Unless you paid for it!

I have laser lights I love the look, functionality of the adaptive LED is good too. There is another thread on this subject laser vs LED. But again the lasers cost > 1k more than the LED.

The heated steering wheel is nice. I also have the blinds and the last weeks they were closed a lot due to the very hot weather and holidays. Probably they both cost the same.

If you paid for packages that include more options than you got they should at least correct the price. Retro fitting lasers is really expensive. So they won't do that but you could at least ask for some compensation above the price difference of not delivered options because you really wanted the lasers.

Maybe you should check what price you paid for the options packs. The old ones should be more expensive?

Most important: Enjoy your new car !
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
Matt27
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

On my order in Belgium it say indeed what packages I have chosen but it also describes what options are included in the package.

I have the display key but never use it. Not a big loss at all if you didn't get it. Unless you paid for it!

I have laser lights I love the look, functionality of the adaptive LED is good too. There is another thread on this subject laser vs LED. But again the lasers cost > 1k more than the LED.

The heated steering wheel is nice. I also have the blinds and the last weeks they were closed a lot due to the very hot weather and holidays. Probably they both cost the same.

If you paid for packages that include more options than you got they should at least correct the price. Retro fitting lasers is really expensive. So they won't do that but you could at least ask for some compensation above the price difference of not delivered options because you really wanted the lasers.

Maybe you should check what price you paid for the options packs. The old ones should be more expensive?

The dealer did look at the spec list and could see that the Visibility pack I ordered had cost around £1,600 and included LaserLights. He could also see that the detailed build list they get from the factory showed LaserLights too. I can see in the UK market at least, they have introduced a variation of the visibility pack that has adaptive LED lights for about £600 as well as the LaserLight option. Neither has the same option code as the item I ordered.

I’m not too fussed about the display key - I agree it’s a bit too big and unwieldy, but am concerned I’ve effectively paid for it as part of the Technology pack.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #4
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The dealer did look at the spec list and could see that the Visibility pack I ordered had cost around £1,600 and included LaserLights. He could also see that the detailed build list they get from the factory showed LaserLights too. I can see in the UK market at least, they have introduced a variation of the visibility pack that has adaptive LED lights for about £600 as well as the LaserLight option. Neither has the same option code as the item I ordered.

I’m not too fussed about the display key - I agree it’s a bit too big and unwieldy, but am concerned I’ve effectively paid for it as part of the Technology pack.
I think you go over it quite easily. I would be really pissed if I ordered lasers and didn't get them.

You payed for more options than you received.

Display key and sun blinds are not so very essential. But not having the lasers changes the looks of your car. The loss in functionality is discussable. Some LED fanatics might start responding to this now.

But again enjoy your new car. It is a fantastic machine with or without the missing options. But let them compensate for the options you didn't get.
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      08-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #5
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I don't know. For me this would be really a dealbreaker. I don't sign a +100K contract to get something I didn't order and to be annoyed every single day for the remainder of the lease that I didn't get those frigging laser lights I ordered.

Even compensation doesn't make this up. Or they must give the car almost for free

I got my display key almost 3 weeks ago. So I don't believe they are discontinued.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #6
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Your dealer is either misinformed or lying. Sounds to me as if they either messed up entering your order into BMW's system or accidentally delivered your car to another customer and now try to give you the car that that other customer had ordered.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 01:56 AM   #7
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I can also contribute that I received an x5 lless than 2 weeks ago, with display key.
I also have laser lights and indeed, like others, would be very pissed if they were missing.

Tbh you sound like a too nice guy I would have made a very big fuss at the dealer and not accepted the car. I wouldn’t care the laserlight retrofit costs a lot, it would be either that or keep your x5. It changes to look of the car.
Appreciate 2
X5 45e1090.50
volodp199.50
      08-16-2020, 04:39 AM   #8
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Dealer messed up.
Just lack of laser lights would be deal breaker for me personally.
      08-16-2020, 04:50 AM   #9
pho
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

I’d personally refuse to take delivery. Definitely not ok.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 05:20 AM   #10
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I looked at the UK configurator and the lasers can still part of the visability package but as standard it comes with the led's. So question is did you pay £2000 or £ 650 for your visability package?

If first it was included and you ordered the package for 2000 the dealer messed up with the change in packages between MY 20 and 21

Strangely it also says lasers are included in the first page for 650.

And can't see however what the packages where when you ordered.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 05:23 AM   #11
pho
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Packs could have changed since the order was placed. On the order you signed, there should be a breakdown of all codes + description. Both display key and laser lights are mentioned on mine for example, even though they were part of a pack at the time of ordering.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 05:35 AM   #12
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I found a price list of august 2019. Don't think it would have changed before the end of the year when you placed the order?

So as you and @pho mention the content changed.

So now it all comes down what is written on your order.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #13
Matt27
Rep

Quote:
I looked at the UK configurator and the lasers can still part of the visability package but as standard it comes with the led's. So question is did you pay £2000 or £ 650 for your visability package?

If first it was included and you ordered the package for 2000 the dealer messed up with the change in packages between MY 20 and 21

When I ordered the visibility pack was approximately £1,600 and included laser lights. This was the only visibility pack available to order at the time. I have seen the spec list that the dealer used to place the factory order and it shows laser lights.

All I can assume is that with BMW introducing another option to the visibility pack when it came to the car being built the factory decided to build to the lower cost specification.

I am annoyed about it. I did debate refusing delivery when I saw the differences but recognised that build times are now out until the middle of 2021 and am not prepared to wait that long.

The vehicle is a company car, so the benefit in kind saving of a 45e are substantial vs. my previous car (a Land Rover Discovery). I will see what the dealer proposes, but my preferences are;

1) they reorder the vehicle to the spec ordered and allow me to use current vehicle until it arrives (very unlikely they will go for that).
2) reduce the monthly cost of the vehicle by the cost of the visibility package

I recognise that getting them to retrofit the laser lights is a non-starter given the apparent cost (although guess the cost to them is much lower given the relatively modest difference in cost during build).

In terms of the Display Key, am I missing any useful functionality as a result of not having it? When I test drove an X5 I thought the display key was a bit naff and I seem to be able to do everything from the BMW app on my phone.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      08-16-2020, 04:52 PM   #14
Matt27
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Your dealer is either misinformed or lying. Sounds to me as if they either messed up entering your order into BMW's system or accidentally delivered your car to another customer and now try to give you the car that that other customer had ordered.
I suspect that this may in part be the explanation. Delivery kept slipping to the right (I assumed this was caused by Covid production delays), but it was only after threatening to cancel order they “found” my car and were able to deliver it within 6 weeks.

I don’t know whether my vehicle was built before the Covid shut down or after. (I would guess it was one of the first built after the plant reopened) and this is why the spec changed.

I have seen the dealers order form and it appears consistent with what I ordered, but the codes associated with the packs have changed between their order form and the build spec of the car. They can’t explain why this would be the case.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 03:17 AM   #15
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

The packs are different for each area or even each country. I believe the factory order relies only on the option codes (like 5AZ for laser lights 3DS for display key) so it's hard to believe that changes in the pack contents after you placed your order could do any harm.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 03:18 AM   #16
jwtw20
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 MSport 45e

Quote:
Quote:

When I ordered the visibility pack was approximately £1,600 and included laser lights. This was the only visibility pack available to order at the time. I have seen the spec list that the dealer used to place the factory order and it shows laser lights.

All I can assume is that with BMW introducing another option to the visibility pack when it came to the car being built the factory decided to build to the lower cost specification.

I am annoyed about it. I did debate refusing delivery when I saw the differences but recognised that build times are now out until the middle of 2021 and am not prepared to wait that long.

The vehicle is a company car, so the benefit in kind saving of a 45e are substantial vs. my previous car (a Land Rover Discovery). I will see what the dealer proposes, but my preferences are;

1) they reorder the vehicle to the spec ordered and allow me to use current vehicle until it arrives (very unlikely they will go for that).
2) reduce the monthly cost of the vehicle by the cost of the visibility package

I recognise that getting them to retrofit the laser lights is a non-starter given the apparent cost (although guess the cost to them is much lower given the relatively modest difference in cost during build).

In terms of the Display Key, am I missing any useful functionality as a result of not having it? When I test drove an X5 I thought the display key was a bit naff and I seem to be able to do everything from the BMW app on my phone.
The display key is pointless, you are missing nothing expect a BMW branded paperweight for your office desk.

The missing laserlights would piss me off though if they missed them on mine as it changes the look of the car imo from the front.

It will be worth getting the P11d value of the car corrected if it's a company car if you do keep it otherwise you are paying tax on features you don't have.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #17
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

Quote:
Hi all,

I have just taken delivery of my new X5 45e M Sport on Thursday and have already put 900 miles on it. It’s a lovely car and all I expected.

However, the specification delivered is a little different to ordered. The supplying dealer claims these are BMW driven changes, but I’m not sure as the BMW UK website still shows the equipment I ordered. The car was ordered in December 2019. I’d be grateful for comments on the below;

Technology pack

Visibility Pack

Comfort Pack

I had good friend of mine order a new E90 320d a few years back and it was painted in the wrong shade of blue. After the dealer looked into it and found out it was input error by BMW. The outcome was he was allowed to keep the car until the newly ordered one arrived and also gave him £1000 of extras of his choice. So he had 2 new cars in one year and was impressed with BMW.

The big thing for me would be the lack of Lazer lights on your and somebody has messed up and you need to get to the bottom of it.

I would suggest you tell them you want to reject the car and hopefully that will get a response. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #18
BryanC84
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 45e M Sport

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
I'd be pissed off and rightly rejecting the car.

I have a display key and laserlights, although I didn't order the comfort pack.
I was made aware that the display key is being discontinued, but it was on the order form!

My 45e was ordered in January and delivered in June
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #19
Matt27
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanC84 View Post
I'd be pissed off and rightly rejecting the car.

I have a display key and laserlights, although I didn't order the comfort pack.
I was made aware that the display key is being discontinued, but it was on the order form!

My 45e was ordered in January and delivered in June
I’ll see what the dealer comes back with. In fairness the adaptive LED lights seem quite good at night.

That’s good news that the display key is being discontinued and it’s not just rubbish being spouted by the dealer to cover up for another issue with the spec.

I love the car, therefore don’t want to reject it, hand it back, and have to wait for circa 9-12 months for a new one to be made to the correct specification really.

You did very well to get such a prompt delivery. My car was ordered in December, has a built date of April and was delivered to the dealer in August.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #20
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

The display key had not been discontinued by April when the car was built.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 02:43 PM   #21
pho
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Well if you can live with it, sure, keep it.
But then BMW owes you a nice compensation/discount...
Appreciate 0