BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Steering Wheel Heat On With Remote Start - But It Shouldn't Be

08-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #1
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Steering Wheel Heat On With Remote Start - But It Shouldn't Be

So when I purchased my X7 back in March, I noticed that when I remote started the X7, the steering wheel heat would come on, even if the climate control rules had the temperature set below the outside temperature. I remember this being discussed a bit and it was determined it was a bug. I didn't pay too much attention to it as summer was approaching, outside temps were rising, and it didn't happen again. Also, I had a software update over the summer (to 3/2020.58) so I figured the bug might be fixed. Fast forward to this week, and a cooler 64 deg F outside, and when I remote start my X7 the steering wheel heat is on when I get to the X7 - happened twice this week actually. A quick check of my climate control rules shows the "turn on below" setpoint for the steering wheel heat set at 40 deg F. So apparently this bug is still there...

So has anybody who is on the newer 7/2020.XX software experienced this? I recognize that the weather in many areas may still be too warm to test, but I wanted to have some more anecdotal data before I go to the dealership to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quick update for those that are interested....

I had the dealer update my software to 7/2020.35 in direct response to this issue (under warranty). According to the dealer, this software update was supposed to address a number of seat heating bugs (I have no specific details on the bugs in question), but the dealer was not sure if the steering wheel heat bug with remote start was addressed. Unfortunately, it did not work.

I have the climate control rules set to have the steering wheel heat come on if the outside temp is below 45 deg F. On multiple occasions, whether remote starting with the key fob or with the ConnectedDrive app, the steering wheel heat came on when it was not supposed to. The coolest it has been in my area in the morning had been 60 deg F. The "sweet spot" for this bug appears to be 65 deg F or so. If below 65 deg F, the steering wheel heat (and it appears the armrests) came on even though the set temp was 45 deg F, but above 65 deg F, the system worked properly (no steering wheel heat). The dealer asked me to provide feedback if this bug was fixed with this software update. So with any luck, my feedback will support a bug fix in the not too distant future.

Oh, and for those who might be curious, even though this functionality should be working as advertised (and I paid for it), and it has not worked properly since I purchased my X7, I don't plan to take this to BMW Corporate. I also don't intend to file a class action lawsuit either even though BMW's clear and blatant failure to deliver this capability as promised has not gone unnoticed. And finally, despite my disappointment with BMW's clear failure to deliver, my X7 will not be my last BMW purchase as long as they make vehicles that have an overall enjoyable experience to own and drive, in my most humble opinion...

Oops, I went there... Too soon...? Gotta love first world problems and opinions.....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0