F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Where is the softlimiter located?
proTUNING Freaks

08-26-2020, 07:50 AM   #1
pgreg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335

Where is the softlimiter located?

Hello! I have recently picked up my 2015 335, and I love it. I was out with a few friends and I was messing around in sport + with paddles. I was unaware that in this mode it doesn’t shift up for you, and the car ended up revving just a tad over 7k, atleast that’s what it indicated. Obviously the car is automatic so therefore I assume that this is still fine as it shouldn’t let me damage the engine, but it does have me worried, will the engine be fine? Revs didn’t go above around 7200rpm. I forget whether I shifted or the computer shifted at that point. But it was for a split second.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #2
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreg View Post
Hello! I have recently picked up my 2015 335, and I love it. I was out with a few friends and I was messing around in sport + with paddles. I was unaware that in this mode it doesn’t shift up for you, and the car ended up revving just a tad over 7k, atleast that’s what it indicated. Obviously the car is automatic so therefore I assume that this is still fine as it shouldn’t let me damage the engine, but it does have me worried, will the engine be fine? Revs didn’t go above around 7200rpm. I forget whether I shifted or the computer shifted at that point. But it was for a split second.
Been there, done that when I forgot I had it in manual. Haven't had any issues, I think if you were to leave it revving over 7k for an extended amount of time I would worry.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

If you have put miles on it since then, you are probably fine. The main concern would be immediate damage (spinning a bearing or similar). Accelerated wear is possible but unlikely when it happens for less than a second.

I let someone drive my car and they hit rev limiter in 1st for 1-2 seconds. Then once or twice i was sliding around in 2nd and touched it myself. Cringed every time but the car is fine.
Appreciate 0