BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #1
g_lev
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Intro, new order... excited for my first BMW

Hey guys! Figured I should introduce myself. I just ordered a 2021 Phytonic Blue X3 M40i and I am super pumped about this. This was the first time I custom ordered a car (I totally loaded it up with almost everything available) vs buying on the lot and I am obsessively tracking its progress. It just went to "Starting Production". Not sure how long it takes to finish a build and get from SC to Philly but I really can't wait.

My wife just bought a 2020 X2 M35i and she loves it. However she won't let me drive it because she is too busy having fun with it herself! So I decided to pull the trigger on the X3. The dealer also offered me a sweet deal on the build because he was happy to make a second sale from me within just a couple of weeks.

I am coming from years of driving Miatas (I've had two so far) so I am no stranger to performance/sports cars. I also currently have a Honda Ridgeline that I am trading in once the X3 comes in. I love my 2016 Miata, however I am finding myself driving it less and less, only when the weather is 100% perfect and I don't have to get on a highway (it's no fun with the top up, and at highway speeds it's just kinda loud). The Ridgeline is an excellent utility vehicle, but it has the soul of a box of Kleenex. So I decided it would be best to sell both cars and go down to one vehicle that can mostly scratch the itch of both a pickup truck and a sports car. I need something that works for a 400 mile road trip once a month, and is also fun to drive. This scratches that itch I think. I'll miss having a manual transmission and a clutch pedal, but given the power of the M40i, I think I'll be happy letting a computer decide when to shift.

I cross-shopped this with a Macan S and the comparison basically wasn't fair at all. The Porsche dealer was quite nice about everything I figured given I was looking at the lowest priced model the brand offers, but he did a great job of selling me the BMW by not wanting to give me more than a couple % off MSRP and not wanting to help me find a perfect one. The Porsche only really "won" against the M40i in a single category. It out-handles the M40i in twisty roads by just the SLIGHTEST margin, but otherwise the M40i beat it handily in literally every other category. Power, speed, price, electronics, tech, interior materials, cargo room, etc. It was a no-brainer decision even though I was definitely drawn to the Porsche crest... The one thing that pushed me over the edge with the Macan, oddly enough, was the instrument cluster and windshield wiper control. The instrument cluster is nicer in my Honda. In the Macan it looks like something that came from a Toyota Corolla. The cruise control stalk literally did come from a Toyota (it's the same little stick thing), and the windshield wiper control felt flimsy. It's a stupid thing to criticize, maybe, but at $70k there shouldn't be a little cheap feeling bit of stalk on the controls. I was also disappointed in how much plastic was in the Macan interior, and how much more I would have needed to spend to get leather and other such things. Basically the Macan S was not nearly as good as the M40i, for a whole lot more money. Oh don't get me wrong it was a really nice car. But the BMW is better in 95% of the categories that matter, and it's a lot less money to boot. And to get the Macan S up to a spec that better compares to the M40i it would have been another $20k, or gone to the GTS or even Turbo trim. No thanks. Honestly now that I think about it, the Macan S is basically my wife's X2 M35i in terms of cargo space, speed and handling... but it's almost $40k more expensive... for what... the badge? And it still loses on tech, interior, electronics, etc.

Anyway - this forum looks like it has all kinds of great info and I look forward to learning all about this car, and all the fun things I can do to it!

One question I hope is an easy one to answer. I speced the 20" rims that come with performance RFTs. I am not super thrilled with RFTs but I'll deal with replacing them when they wear out. However I obviously need a set of winter wheels and tires. Am I crazy for thinking I would rather get non-run flat winter tires, and carry a can of tire slime, and a puncture repair kit with a compressor? I have no problem popping a wheel off on the side of the road and yanking/patching a nail if I need to do that.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #2
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 M40i

Garage List
grats. I cross shopped the same. the ride and seat comfort of the macan is better than the BMW as well, but for the sheer price difference and losing in every other aspect the macan doesn't make sense no matter the trim.

two points in regards to the tires. first, no you don't need RFTs on the car. I ditched mine when the bad factory alignment ate the tires at way too early an age. I'm now running Michelin Pilot sport 4s tires and much happier in every aspect. I've got a truck for the winter so I don't need to change yet, but when it sells I'll be looking at the pilot alpin or Nokian tires for the winter (yes, non-RFT). second, you don't necessarily need tire slime if you lose a tire. I presume you didnt spec the spare (lots do not, but I did). The joys of the forum are that someone already figured out how to fit the spare tire in the non spare tire area, search for it. So you can be covered regardless and not lose trunk space, I'd personally do that route of it was me doing it over again.

as a side note, you did good by getting the 20" wheels, the 21s make tire shopping a problem due to very few options in its size. second, if you wanted you can run wheel spacers (18mm) and run 9.5" wheels (rear wheel size) on all 4 corners to get a square setup instead of the inane staggered orientation. So before you make a first purchase, consider a full plan to meet your immediate and future needs enjoy
      09-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
g_lev
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinalth View Post
I presume you didnt spec the spare (lots do not, but I did). The joys of the forum are that someone already figured out how to fit the spare tire in the non spare tire area, search for it. So you can be covered regardless and not lose trunk space, I'd personally do that route of it was me doing it over again.

as a side note, you did good by getting the 20" wheels, the 21s make tire shopping a problem due to very few options in its size. second, if you wanted you can run wheel spacers (18mm) and run 9.5" wheels (rear wheel size) on all 4 corners to get a square setup instead of the inane staggered orientation. So before you make a first purchase, consider a full plan to meet your immediate and future needs enjoy
Correct, I did not spec the spare tire as I didn't want to lose the storage. However if there is a way to get a spare in there I might spring for one.

When I was choosing between the 20 and 21" it was a no brainer. I didn't really even like the OEM 21" wheels, and I knew finding tires would be a major pain. I didn't think of attempting to run square for the winter setup. That would make life a little easier I think.

I was considering going to 19" wheels for my winter setup. But this car is coming with the staggered size 20". I am actually now a bit confused about what I can order. Do I need spacers or anything if I order a set of wheels and tires from TireRack in 19" size?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_lev View Post
Correct, I did not spec the spare tire as I didn't want to lose the storage. However if there is a way to get a spare in there I might spring for one.

When I was choosing between the 20 and 21" it was a no brainer. I didn't really even like the OEM 21" wheels, and I knew finding tires would be a major pain. I didn't think of attempting to run square for the winter setup. That would make life a little easier I think.

I was considering going to 19" wheels for my winter setup. But this car is coming with the staggered size 20". I am actually now a bit confused about what I can order. Do I need spacers or anything if I order a set of wheels and tires from TireRack in 19" size?
Pretty sure you can do a square 20 inch setup even without spacers.
Check out this thread, I think it is in there: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486272

It looks like most people went 245s on 9 inch wide rims. some with 255s.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
Pretty sure you can do a square 20 inch setup even without spacers.
Check out this thread, I think it is in there: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486272

It looks like most people went 245s on 9 inch wide rims. some with 255s.
Can definitely do a 20" squared. I went 20x9 ET25 with 255/45R20

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #6
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_lev View Post

MY mistake for not being clear. I was not referencing your winter tires when I was talking about going square and needing spacers. As stated above you can run a 8.5 (front wheel width) or 9" depending on the offset and be fine front and rear with a 245 tire. I was referring to you and the stock run flats. If you wanted to replace them, you could get replica 9.5" 699 rear wheels (that's the 20" we both have), and run them on the front. so you'd have 9.5" wheels on front and rear, both able to run 275 tires. but you'd need 18mm spacers to have the front clear the front strut appropriately (plus it looks nice).

of course alternately you can run completely new wheels with offset lowered to get the 275s in without spacers. just giving ideas.
      09-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
g_lev
Private
Rep

Ahh that clears it up. Thanks!

I'll probably keep the staggered setup for the summer tires and just get non RFTs when the OEMs wear out, but order square for the winter setup
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 10:38 PM   #8
X3-30E
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, G01-30e

How can I tell the difference between OE and replica? Some of those replicas are so well made with all the makings.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #9
shrinivaskk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2020

First Time + Confused + Excited and Amateur BMW Owner

Hello lovely people !!!
My family and I are soooooo excited to move into BMW family.
We saved every penny, we can for last 4yrs and my wife finally decided to get me my dream BMW X3.

I went with lease for X3 30idrive with M Sports Package, Enhanced Package and Advance drive and parking assistance.

Although it is a demo vehicle with almost 8000 miles on it. I see that I got a good deal.

Since it is M Sports package, it comes with staggered tires
275/40/R20 - Rear
245/45/R20 - Front

Since we have spent all our money to have our dream come true... Now I don't have too much money left to buy new winter tire sets...

So, I want to know what options do I have if I have to go and pickup used winter tires from market place or kijiji (Canada).

I do have tires and rims package with this lease.

My questions -

1. What are the risks of taking after market tires?
2. Do I have to take the rims also with these tires which are being sold in after market?
3. Can I just 245/45/R20 on all the 4 existing rims?
4. I have this car for only 36 months. So literally, not many winter seasons left to drive to invest on new tires. So, what should be my ideal choice?

Thank you everyone !!!
God bless and stay safe.
Appreciate 0