BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
veloso77
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30e x-Line

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
Driving Assistant vs. Driving Assistant Plus

Hi there. In my country BMW sells X3's with two options for Driving Assistant: DA and DA Plus (not Professional).

According to BMW's marketing materials both options have:
- rear collision prevention
- crossing traffic warning rear
- lane departure warning
- lane changing warning
- approach control waring

And the "Plus" adds the following:
- steering and lane keep assistant with active side collision protection
- crossroads waring
- evasion aid
- crossing traffic warning front

It is not clear for me whether or not the basic DP option has the "ACC + stop & go” as the marketing materials are not clear. It is mentioned in both versions that “BMW DA allows smart driving in situation such as traffic jam, slow traffic or long trips”, but it is not crystal clear on the ACC thing.

People from different concessionaires tell you controversial information. The Plus option definitely has it as it doesn’t make sense having steering assistant and not ACC.

Can anyone bring some light into this?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
Battin4th
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Many companies have misleading or confused features in their literature. Mostly because they don't know what they are planning to deliver or have different features across their model lines. Land Rover is another example.

To answer your question, I have DA and DO NOT have ACC or lane keeping assistance. Only lane keeping alerts and the other things you listed under DA.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
veloso77
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
Thanks. That's helpful. You are right. This is very confusing and poorly managed by car makers. Nowadays, tech in cars is a hot issue and sometimes decisive when buying luxury expensive cars. It should be more clear to customers what it is being offered.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
To me, BMW ranks amongst the worse in giving you any clarity in what you are getting with various options. Like you said, you spend so much money - there is no reason to not be clear as to what you are getting for the options you spend on. This has let me to configure past X3s based on information that wasn't complete. If they do not list a "Professional" option, nor does it list it - am I to assume that ACC is not available in your region?

Last edited by JSY; 10-12-2020 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
Alias1431799.50
      10-12-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
veloso77
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
To me, BMW ranks amongst the worse in giving you any clarity in what you are getting with various options. Like you said, you spend so much money - there is no reason to be clear as to what you are getting for the options you spend on. This has let me to configure past X3s based on information that wasn't complete. If they do not list a "Professional" option, nor does it list it - am I to assume that ACC is not available in your region?
It is indeed very confusing. ACC is available in my region. The “DA Plus” option has it as it was confirmed to me by a couple of different dealers. I wondering whether or not the "basic DA” has it.

Just for you guys to understand where this confusion is coming from: I was checking the G20 (320i M Sport) specs (local production, not imported) and BMW sells it here with the “basic DA” option included that has the "ACC + Stop & Go” and the same catchy phrase "BMW DA allows smart driving in situation such as traffic jam, slow traffic or long trips"

Specs for G20 320 M Sport local production
- rear collision prevention
- crossing traffic warning rear
- lane departure warning
- lane changing warning
- approach control waring
- active cruise control

None of the “DA Plus” options listed in my original post are present in the G20 specs for the 320i M Sport model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloso77 View Post
And the "Plus" adds the following:
- steering and lane keep assistant with active side collision protection
- crossroads waring
- evasion aid
- crossing traffic warning front
So the question is: is the ACC + S&G something that comes with with all these other "basic DA" perks or it comes separately? It doesn’t make much sense for a carmaker to have some many variables for built as it shouldn’t be cost effective.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 07:56 AM   #6
g_lev
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
To me, BMW ranks amongst the worse in giving you any clarity in what you are getting with various options. Like you said, you spend so much money - there is no reason to be clear as to what you are getting for the options you spend on. This has let me to configure past X3s based on information that wasn't complete. If they do not list a "Professional" option, nor does it list it - am I to assume that ACC is not available in your region?
To make it even worse, what they call "professional" for an X3 is different than for an X5.

For example I have DA "Pro" in my 2021 X3 (I think in 2020 it was only available as "plus"). However mine doesn't have the eye-tracking camera that allows it to do the extended traffic jam assist that the X5 gets with its DA Pro package.

Frustrating...
Appreciate 2
Alias1431799.50
JSY578.00
      10-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I don't know how it is now, but ACC used to be also available as a stand-alone option. They might have integrated it to DA of Pro/Plus.
      10-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

I'm looking at this info also. Standard equipment is:

Active Driving Assistant (5AS)
Active Blind Spot Detection (ZN1)
Frontal Collision Warning w/ City Collision Mitigation (ZN3)
Lane Departure Warning (ZN4)

If you get the Diving Assistance Pro $1700 (ZDY) you get:

ACC S&G + Active Driving Assistant (5AT) This deletes standard 5AS

So for $1700, is the only thing you get is the ACC S&G since the Active Driving Assistant (5AT) is standard equipment?
My guess is that when you order this package, you are getting the lane keeping assistant and not just a warning, as well as a traffic jam assistant (whatever that is) and a few other things not as standard equipment. Can anyone verify this?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
g_lev
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
I'm looking at this info also. Standard equipment is:

Active Driving Assistant (5AS)
Active Blind Spot Detection (ZN1)
Frontal Collision Warning w/ City Collision Mitigation (ZN3)
Lane Departure Warning (ZN4)

If you get the Diving Assistance Pro $1700 (ZDY) you get:

ACC S&G + Active Driving Assistant (5AT) This deletes standard 5AS

So for $1700, is the only thing you get is the ACC S&G since the Active Driving Assistant (5AT) is standard equipment?
My guess is that when you order this package, you are getting the lane keeping assistant and not just a warning, as well as a traffic jam assistant (whatever that is) and a few other things not as standard equipment. Can anyone verify this?

I speced my 2021 with DA Pro. It does indeed have the lane keep assist, which is the active lane hold function, as well as adaptive cruise and traffic jam. I have only had the car for 2 days and only had the chance to try the traffic jam assist once. But it works well. You have to keep your hand on the wheel (or just a finger touching it really), but it will take care of dealing with stop and go traffic just fine (at least in the limited amount I have had to test it, which was for a total of 2 minutes or so)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 06:00 PM   #10
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_lev View Post
I speced my 2021 with DA Pro. It does indeed have the lane keep assist, which is the active lane hold function, as well as adaptive cruise and traffic jam. I have only had the car for 2 days and only had the chance to try the traffic jam assist once. But it works well. You have to keep your hand on the wheel (or just a finger touching it really), but it will take care of dealing with stop and go traffic just fine (at least in the limited amount I have had to test it, which was for a total of 2 minutes or so)
I drive Boston to Utah and when you get to Iowa, Nebraska and Wyoming the roads are straight and not a lot of traffic at times so I'm thinking that the lane keep assist will be useful even though you have to have a hand on the wheel most times. Does the active lane keep assist bounce from side of lane to other side of lane? Does it matter where your hand or finger is placed on the wheel?
Does the traffic jam assist work in conjunction with the ACC S&G? So if your in a traffic situation, the X3 will follow, stop and start and stay in the lane with only placing your finger or hand on the wheel? You can take your feet off the brake and gas?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #11
g_lev
Private
Rep

Quote:
I drive Boston to Utah and when you get to Iowa, Nebraska and Wyoming the roads are straight and not a lot of traffic at times so I'm thinking that the lane keep assist will be useful even though you have to have a hand on the wheel most times. Does the active lane keep assist bounce from side of lane to other side of lane? Does it matter where your hand or finger is placed on the wheel?
Does the traffic jam assist work in conjunction with the ACC S&G? So if your in a traffic situation, the X3 will follow, stop and start and stay in the lane with only placing your finger or hand on the wheel? You can take your feet off the brake and gas?

The lane keep isn't perfect but it's pretty good (it was actually better in my Honda Ridgeline that I just traded in). But otherwise I would trust it to keep the lane without much bouncing around.

You just need to have a finger on the wheel and it can sense that. In reality I find I just put my hand on the bottom of the wheel and leave it there, and the car basically drives itself.

The traffic jam assist is a part of the adaptive cruise. When I got into a bit of traffic I was at a standstill. I turned on the adaptive cruise and set it to 60mph even though I was at a dead stop. I set the lane keep on, then let go of the brake. I didn't go anywhere. When traffic moved in front of me, the car started moving and followed the car in front. It stopped and started all on its own and I did nothing other than touch the steering wheel.

I can certainly see these assistance features helping with long drives. You can let your attention waver even like 15% and you will be much more relaxed. And by 15% I mean you can take a look around, check the scenery, but still watch what's happening on the road. You can grab your drink with both hands and open a soda bottle cap, and trust that the car will stay in the lane for a few seconds.

My Ridgeline was great for long trips like that (it's lane keep was really good). But it didn't have the stop and go that will be really excellent when traffic jams are a thing again
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #12
veloso77
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
I think I got it. I found the BMW USA press release for the X3 (https://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelea...d=3514&mid=115) and a 2021 model update press release (https://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelea...=&searchresult) that were very helpful.

From the X3 30e launch press release (dated Nov 2019) for 2020 model:

Driving Assistance Package
- Active Blind Spot Detection
- Lane departure Warning
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Speed Limit information

Driving Assistance Plus Package
- Traffic Jam Assistant
- Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go
- Active Lane Keeping Assistant with side collision avoidance
- Evasion Aid
- Front cross-traffic alert

In theory, things were clear, but then I found another stuff in the 2021 model update press release (dated Aug 2020):

The 2021 X3 began production in 8/2020.

This package has been removed. Active Driving Assistant is now standard.

So after August 2020 they started production for the 2021 model and it now has “Active Driving Assistant” and not anymore “Driving Assistant” or “Driving Assistant Plus”.

From the bmwusa.com Build Your Own site for 2021 model:

ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant

Be secure in the knowledge that the latest in safety technology is at your side, sensing all types of potential hazards. In addition to Active Driving Assistant contents, Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go maintains your selected speed. This radar-based system keeps your preselected distance from the vehicle ahead with autonomous braking, if needed. Also included are Active Lane Keeping Assist with Side Collision Avoidance, Front Cross-Traffic Alert, Traffic Jam Assist and Evasion Aid.

In conclusion the ACC Stop & Go is added with the new “Active Driving Assistant” Package.

Couldn’t be more confusing. Wondering how this would get down here in local market...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #13
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The lane keep isn't perfect but it's pretty good (it was actually better in my Honda Ridgeline that I just traded in). But otherwise I would trust it to keep the lane without much bouncing around.

You just need to have a finger on the wheel and it can sense that. In reality I find I just put my hand on the bottom of the wheel and leave it there, and the car basically drives itself.

The traffic jam assist is a part of the adaptive cruise. When I got into a bit of traffic I was at a standstill. I turned on the adaptive cruise and set it to 60mph even though I was at a dead stop. I set the lane keep on, then let go of the brake. I didn't go anywhere. When traffic moved in front of me, the car started moving and followed the car in front. It stopped and started all on its own and I did nothing other than touch the steering wheel.

I can certainly see these assistance features helping with long drives. You can let your attention waver even like 15% and you will be much more relaxed. And by 15% I mean you can take a look around, check the scenery, but still watch what's happening on the road. You can grab your drink with both hands and open a soda bottle cap, and trust that the car will stay in the lane for a few seconds.

My Ridgeline was great for long trips like that (it's lane keep was really good). But it didn't have the stop and go that will be really excellent when traffic jams are a thing again
I really like the traffic jam assist. That was a good explanation. I can see being in stop and go traffic that varies from 0 to 60 and letting the car drive itself. But what happens if the vehicle in front suddenly stops? Will the X3 jam on the brakes as well? And also, if someone pulls in between you and the person in front? Will the X3 slow down and maintain distance? BTW...is the distance to the vehicle in front pre-set or do you get a chance to set a distance?
As far as the lane keeping assist, if your on a highway with all the semi-autonomous features set and you come up to a car or truck in your lane as the X3 is driving itself, will it pass the vehicle and then pull back in the lane by itself? I thought I saw this happen on a BMW promo and can't remember what you had to do to make that happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 02:57 PM   #14
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloso77 View Post
I think I got it. I found the BMW USA press release for the X3 (https://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelea...d=3514&mid=115) and a 2021 model update press release (https://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelea...=&searchresult) that were very helpful.

From the X3 30e launch press release (dated Nov 2019) for 2020 model:

- Active Blind Spot Detection
- Lane departure Warning
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Speed Limit information

Driving Assistance Plus Package
- Traffic Jam Assistant
- Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go
- Active Lane Keeping Assistant with side collision avoidance
- Evasion Aid
- Front cross-traffic alert

In theory, things were clear, but then I found another stuff in the 2021 model update press release (dated Aug 2020):

The 2021 X3 began production in 8/2020.

This package has been removed. Active Driving Assistant is now standard.

So after August 2020 they started production for the 2021 model and it now has “Active Driving Assistant” and not anymore “Driving Assistant” or “Driving Assistant Plus”.

From the bmwusa.com Build Your Own site for 2021 model:

ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant

Be secure in the knowledge that the latest in safety technology is at your side, sensing all types of potential hazards. In addition to Active Driving Assistant contents, Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go maintains your selected speed. This radar-based system keeps your preselected distance from the vehicle ahead with autonomous braking, if needed. Also included are Active Lane Keeping Assist with Side Collision Avoidance, Front Cross-Traffic Alert, Traffic Jam Assist and Evasion Aid.

In conclusion the ACC Stop & Go is added with the new “Active Driving Assistant” Package.

Couldn’t be more confusing. Wondering how this would get down here in local market...
So it seems like when you buy the Driving Assistance Pro package for $1700, you only get ACC S&G since the Active Driving Assistant is standard. However, what I think they did when they included the Active Driving Assistant to the Pro package was that you get actual assistance for lane keeping and not just a warning as well as the other assistant's. They should have renamed the package in the Pro version to be less confusing.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #15
g_lev
Private
Rep

Quote:
I really like the traffic jam assist. That was a good explanation. I can see being in stop and go traffic that varies from 0 to 60 and letting the car drive itself. But what happens if the vehicle in front suddenly stops? Will the X3 jam on the brakes as well? And also, if someone pulls in between you and the person in front? Will the X3 slow down and maintain distance? BTW...is the distance to the vehicle in front pre-set or do you get a chance to set a distance?
As far as the lane keeping assist, if your on a highway with all the semi-autonomous features set and you come up to a car or truck in your lane as the X3 is driving itself, will it pass the vehicle and then pull back in the lane by itself? I thought I saw this happen on a BMW promo and can't remember what you had to do to make that happen.
So understand this is only day 4 of me having the car so I don't quite know al of this. But in my previous experience with the ACC system in my Honda, if a car cuts in between you and a car you are following the Honda would jam the brakes to make room. But if a car only temporarily went in, or moved in front of you and accelerated, the car ignored that. The system wasn't great and needed constant tending.

The BMW defaults to 4 car lengths, and you can change it down to 1. But it alwasy defaults to 4 which I find annoying (I would rather it default to 1).

I don't know what it would do if a car it is following jams its brakes but I assume it will also.

The car does not automatically change lanes to avoid a car going slower ahead of it. It simply slows down to whatever speed that car is going. You will need to change lanes manually before it decides it needs to slow down. To get that that feature you need the X5 or M340i's version of the DA Pro which we don't get (needs the eye tracking system I guess). I bet we could code the fancy instrument cluster display though since we have all the necessary cameras and radars. However doing so is beyond the knowledge I have as a 4-day old BMW owner

Last edited by g_lev; 10-13-2020 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Adding info
Appreciate 1
robe03373.00
      10-13-2020, 03:17 PM   #16
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So understand this is only day 4 of me having the car so I don't quite know al of this. But in my previous experience with the ACC system in my Honda, if a car cuts in between you and a car you are following the Honda would jam the brakes to make room. But if a car only temporarily went in, or moved in front of you and accelerated, the car ignored that. The system wasn't great and needed constant tending.

The BMW defaults to 4 car lengths, and you can change it down to 1. But it alwasy defaults to 4 which I find annoying (I would rather it default to 1).

I don't know what it would do if a car it is following jams its brakes but I assume it will also.

The car does not automatically change lanes to avoid a car going slower ahead of it. It simply slows down to whatever speed that car is going. You will need to change lanes manually before it decides it needs to slow down. To get that that feature you need the X5 or M340i's version of the DA Pro which we don't get (needs the eye tracking system I guess). I bet we could code the fancy instrument cluster display though since we have all the necessary cameras and radars. However doing so is beyond the knowledge I have as a 4-day old BMW owner
That's a bummer. I thought that you just needed to put your turn signal on as you approached the vehicle in front and that sent the message to the car to pass. Maybe there will be a software update for his in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 07:58 PM   #17
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
The traffic jam assist works on speeds up to 21mph I think and above that is active cruise control. They both work very much the same way except that the traffic jam assist is at slower speeds. If the car in front of you jams on its brakes, your car will stop too to maintain the distance and it will stop abruptly - and it's the same with ACC as well. Your brake lights go on as if you were braking manually. If someone cuts in between you and the other car, you'll slow down to now maintain the distance behind the new car.

The problem I have with the traffic jam assist is when the car in front of your stops, and your car stops - I always had to tap on the gas to get the car moving again. I don't know if there is a time limit as to when it would start on it's own again but I always had to tap the gas. I thought it would start to move on it's own. I read somewhere that I could also just press the RES button but that didn't work for me either. I might be using it wrong. lol

This is all from a 2018 model, though - maybe it's all different with the current models.

The lane changing feature you describe was never offered in the US I don't think? (Or was it?) That is when you flip the lane change signal and your car would change lanes for you on it's own. But I don't recall it ever being smart enough to then go back to the lane by itself after you passed someone?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 10:17 PM   #18
robe033
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX1 2023

Quote:

I tried coding it , got the menu to select but didnt actually work, messed lane change up so changed it back
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 11:19 PM   #19
Ravenous666
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 & 2024 BMW X3

Usually it's a timeframe of only 2-3 seconds where the car will continue to drive automatically after a stop. Instead of a tap on the gas, you can also just push the resume button on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #20
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I wonder if they'll put the auto lane change in to the MY 2022. Can't wait for that though. Thanks for your explanations. On long drives it seems like its a help though and worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #21
fndrplayer13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e / 2018 Model 3

My other car is a Tesla Model 3 with "Enhanced" Autopilot, and for what its worth I hate the auto lane-change feature. Its terrifying and I have it turned off. The rear radar on any consumer car can't see that far back. Imagine for a moment you're on the highway going 70mph and the car starts to turn into the leftmost lane to avoid a slower car. Now imagine in that left-most lane there is somebody who is _really_ speeding, maybe they're going 90 or 95mph and coming up quickly on you as you automatically change lanes. Without manual intervention that car would smash into the back of your car.

I've been in scenarios where this has happened and I have to take over immediately to avoid getting rear-ended. This is why this is disabled on my car. The tech isn't there -- at least on the Tesla. What I _do_ have enabled, is the Tesla will ask me whether or not it is allowed to change lanes, and you depress the stalk in the direction of change to acknowledge and accept its suggestion. This tech is fine and requires the driver to opt in.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #22
g_lev
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fndrplayer13 View Post
My other car is a Tesla Model 3 with "Enhanced" Autopilot, and for what its worth I hate the auto lane-change feature. Its terrifying and I have it turned off. The rear radar on any consumer car can't see that far back. Imagine for a moment you're on the highway going 70mph and the car starts to turn into the leftmost lane to avoid a slower car. Now imagine in that left-most lane there is somebody who is _really_ speeding, maybe they're going 90 or 95mph and coming up quickly on you as you automatically change lanes. Without manual intervention that car would smash into the back of your car.

I've been in scenarios where this has happened and I have to take over immediately to avoid getting rear-ended. This is why this is disabled on my car. The tech isn't there -- at least on the Tesla. What I _do_ have enabled, is the Tesla will ask me whether or not it is allowed to change lanes, and you depress the stalk in the direction of change to acknowledge and accept its suggestion. This tech is fine and requires the driver to opt in.
As much as I love the automated driving features, I would have turned off that feature as well. I still want to direct the action, even if it's a button push.

Most of the time "directing the action" to me means "hey car, please just stay in this lane unless I say otherwise". So the current level of tech is about just right for me.
Appreciate 0