BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    2019 540ix M sport to M5 possibly

12-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

2019 540ix M sport to M5 possibly

I’m supper happy with my 540ix MSport.

It’s my daily driver and I’m an 18k ish miles per driver when there isn’t any COVID. The car is basically my Mobile office 12 months a year. Rain, Sleet and Snow. So before I make the jump I’ve got a few question I’m hoping some of you can answer from experience.

1. I drive in comfort mode 70 percent of the tine as I find sport mode a little jumpy in heavy NY commuting traffic. Is this similar in the M5 or M5C. I’m guessing it may be even worse.

2. Love sport mode when roads are open. To me a car can’t have too much acceleration! But there are times the suspension in my 540 in sport mode can be too harsh on the crappy roads in NY. Adjusting the suspension softer ruins the Exoeriece for me. How to you find the M in these conditions ?

3. I’ve for MSport 19”. With wheel and tire insurance. Already blew the crap out of one tire. Wheel made it no damage. I do have run flats and the spare tire package. Changed the tire. Could not drive on it. Tired was destroyed ! How are your rims holding up in NY /LI? Anyone get the spare tire kit. It robs my trunk of some depth but it allows be to help myself when I am stuck and need to get moving.

4. Anyone go from. A 540 m sport to an M5 or M5C that can compare life with both and compare and contrast the cars.

Thanks very much.

Last edited by jsf721; 12-04-2020 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:30 PM   #2
frankchn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

1. From my experience with loaners, the base M5's ride in Comfort is slightly harsher than a 530i's ride in Sport. I think the M5C is harsher than that.

2. No experience with NY roads. In the Bay Area, I think Sport suspension on the backroads (Skyline Blvd, etc...) is perfectly acceptable. Sport+ makes it slightly bouncy.

I think if you want a plusher ride, I would suggest a M550i instead of the M5.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 01:34 AM   #3
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

I drive in sport+ all the time, just perfect
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
BlueString
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2021 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I’m supper happy with my 540ix MSport.

It’s my daily driver and I’m an 18k ish miles per driver when there isn’t any COVID. The car is basically my Mobile office 12 months a year. Rain, Sleet and Snow. So before I make the jump I’ve got a few question I’m hoping some of you can answer from experience.

1. I drive in comfort mode 70 percent of the tine as I find sport mode a little jumpy in heavy NY commuting traffic. Is this similar in the M5 or M5C. I’m guessing it may be even worse.

2. Love sport mode when roads are open. To me a car can’t have too much acceleration! But there are times the suspension in my 540 in sport mode can be too harsh on the crappy roads in NY. Adjusting the suspension softer ruins the Exoeriece for me. How to you find the M in these conditions ?

3. I’ve for MSport 19”. With wheel and tire insurance. Already blew the crap out of one tire. Wheel made it no damage. I do have run flats and the spare tire package. Changed the tire. Could not drive on it. Tired was destroyed ! How are your rims holding up in NY /LI? Anyone get the spare tire kit. It robs my trunk of some depth but it allows be to help myself when I am stuck and need to get moving.

4. Anyone go from. A 540 m sport to an M5 or M5C that can compare life with both and compare and contrast the cars.

Thanks very much.
I'm coming off from a 2013 550i to a 2021 M5. My M5 is still at the port so haven't gotten it. I test drove both the M5 and M5C before making the purchase. Actually drove the former at the Thermal Club last year at M Track days. I found the M5 to have an overall much softer ride for daily driving. Like you, the M5 will be my daily driver so sporty but with a comfort setting was a key. The M5C even in the comfort setting felt a bit too stiff for me for everyday driving. IMHO, I didn't feel much of a difference from sport to comfort in the suspension setting but did feel it in the steering and chassis settings. You feel the bumps in your behind but not uncomfortable. The M5C certainly has a more connected feel to the road with the stiffer suspension and over stance of the car in comparison to the M5. I can see it being a monster on the track but I'll probably never track my M5. If I do, I'll be using BMW's M cars on Track Days so...

With that said, comfort and ride is very subjective. I would definitely test drive both the M5 and M5C to see how you like it. M cars will definitely have a different ride than the non M cars in any settings. I test drove both for about 35 mins each, and told the CA ahead of time I would need an extended test drive to make the right decision for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Personally,
I think it is a matter of age and where you are at with ride compliance in life.
When I was younger the lower and more stiffer suspension, I was happy.
As I progressed life is different, now I want plush and yet still try to maintain holding the corners at a fast speed.
M cars and AMG, do that, however you do sacrifice in the comfort zone somewhat.
And that why for example I also drive and S550 not AMG, when I want comfort.
Hope that makes some sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 07:58 PM   #6
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Personally,
I think it is a matter of age and where you are at with ride compliance in life.
As I progressed life is different, now I want plush and yet still try to maintain holding the corners at a fast speed.
Nailed it. I feel exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 04:56 AM   #7
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Makes sense. Thanks for sharing. I will say posted to hear your thoughts on your new car. Enjoy it in the best of health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueString View Post
I'm coming off from a 2013 550i to a 2021 M5. My M5 is still at the port so haven't gotten it. I test drove both the M5 and M5C before making the purchase. Actually drove the former at the Thermal Club last year at M Track days. I found the M5 to have an overall much softer ride for daily driving. Like you, the M5 will be my daily driver so sporty but with a comfort setting was a key. The M5C even in the comfort setting felt a bit too stiff for me for everyday driving. IMHO, I didn't feel much of a difference from sport to comfort in the suspension setting but did feel it in the steering and chassis settings. You feel the bumps in your behind but not uncomfortable. The M5C certainly has a more connected feel to the road with the stiffer suspension and over stance of the car in comparison to the M5. I can see it being a monster on the track but I'll probably never track my M5. If I do, I'll be using BMW's M cars on Track Days so...

With that said, comfort and ride is very subjective. I would definitely test drive both the M5 and M5C to see how you like it. M cars will definitely have a different ride than the non M cars in any settings. I test drove both for about 35 mins each, and told the CA ahead of time I would need an extended test drive to make the right decision for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 05:00 AM   #8
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sounds like me. I’m 54. Some of my cars in my 20s and 30s had as much compliance in their suspensions as a skateboard.

Now I want speed, handling and a decent Amount of comfort daily and the ability to dial in more of all the good stuff.

Won’t Track this car. No reason to beat mine when I can beat the same car for less than a set of brakes at an M car event. I’ve been and I’ll be back to another.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Personally,
Appreciate 0