E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car shakes/vibrates at speed

12-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
misuffk
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Car shakes/vibrates at speed

Hi Guys,

I have an E92 320i N43 2008 RWD Automatic and few months ago I had to replace the rear wheel bearing. Because the axle nut was so rusted I had to buy a used axle. My mechanic replaced the bearing and the axle as well, but I've notice that the whole car starts to shake/vibrate after passing 50mph. The vibration is more pronounced if I speed up. I thought it was the used axle so I've took the original axle to a shop and they fixed the thread for me. I've replace that used one with my original one but the vibration is still there. It doesn't go off if I put the lever in N so, I would say it's not related to driveshaft or gearbox. One important thing that I've noticed is if I pull the parking break up while driving the same vibration can be felt no matter how fast or slow I am going (30mph or 90mph). Since I bought the car the parking brake didn't work I mean if I pull it up it doesn't have the power to hold the car at all. Could it be a bad bearing install or is there something related to the parking break? Any help please?

PS: Wheels were recently swapped with the winter ones. Shock absorbers were replaced few months ago. The vibration started immediately after the rear bearing replacement.

Last edited by misuffk; 12-24-2020 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

If it didn't do this before the axle and bearing install, check the driveshaft rubber coupling (AKA giubo). If it did this after the bearing and axle install, your mechanic needs to check their work.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

NEVER! Pull the emergency brake up while driving. This will get you dead real quick. You can pull it slowly in a emergency situation but if you brakes lock up one slight twitch of the steering going to put you in a slide.

I done this in my younger days and ended up jumping a ditch landing in a yard sideways. Thankfully there was no poles and the yard was wet letting me slide and large enough to slow me.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #4
misuffk
Rep

thanks for caring but you don't have to worry about pulling the handbrake while driving because mine is useless. It doesn't lock up the rear wheels even when the car is parked. So, I try adjusting it today (by adjusting I mean I loosen it just to see if there will be any change). Unfortunately, the vibration is still there after I reach 50mph but I cannot feel it anymore if I drive below 50 and pull the handbrake. So, I have to further investigate. I am pretty sure I got a bad bearing install as the car was driving so smooth before the replacement.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

I wouldn't say the ebrake is "useless"...it seems to stop your vibration at least at 50mph and below.

If I were you, first thing I'd do is pull the tire and rotor off and inspect the wheel where you had the bearing and axle replaced. Does it make any noise when rotating the hub manually? You don't mention noises, but generally, bad bearings will make noise as likely as they are to cause a vibration. Now that you've had the axle on and off several times, are you sure that it's fully inserted into the hub, and that the nut is actual staked (insuring that the axle stays inserted properly)? And the end connected to the diff is properly attached with all of the bolts and shims? I might also guess CV joint, but again, you don't talk about noises (bad CVs make noise...usually).

You said you've adjusted the ebrake (even if it doesn't do anything)...presumably you did that from the wheel (that's how you do it on these cars). Did it actually adjust? Have you had a look at the ebrake shoes and mechanism (it's inside of the rotor, and you'll see it when you take off the rotor)? The ebrake has to come off when you replace the rear wheel bearing, so it's odd that whoever replaced your bearing never fixed the ebrake...and you didn't either when swapping axles. NBA is right...your mechanic has to check his work.

I'm not convinced that these two problems (the vibration and the non-working ebrake) are unrelated. I think you've got something between the diff and the wheel that's not secured of is failing, and your pulling the brake is changing the forces back there and making the vibration come and go. It could be the bearing, but it well could be something else. And I'd really get that wheel off to look at what's going on there if you have a weird vibration like that before driving around too much pulling the brake to see what happens. Safety first.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #6
squanchy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 xDrive

I had an issue with my E90 328 xdrive LCI with vibration

It was very slight, but just didnt feel right -- maybe in a 10k YARIS id accept it, but certainly not in a BMW that was quite new at the time.

I thought i was crazy, kept bringing it back to BMW service and they had replaced bearings, joints, balanced tires, repaired bent rims, etc...

Long story short -- my issue was with my transmission.. thankfully i was CPO and was able to have BMW do 14k in work for free since they misdiagnosed it so many times.

Regardless, I would recommend the following path forward to further understand / resolve the issue.

- take a ride with mechanic, REPRODUCE the issue for them
This step was critical for me as i was able to show them exactly at what speed/gear/RPM the issue occurred and had them witness it

Maybe just to think about:
- Make sure you don't have bent rims - get them fixed if so.
- wheels balanced
- alignment

Hopefully that gets you on the right track,
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 12:56 PM   #7
misuffk
Rep

I figured it out. It was indeed the ebrake (parking brake). Probably my mechanic tighten it enough for the shoes to remain stuck on the drum. I loosen it a little bit and everything is ok again. There is still a slight noise but I am 99% it comes from the winter tires. However, the vibration has gone. I can use my rear mirror again now .

Quick question for you guys. Are the axles interchangeable? I know they have different codes but I've looked at them and both have the same length, size, weight etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 06:18 PM   #8
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

your 'Mechanic'?? did you beat him with spanner? I smell Diy failure.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by misuffk View Post
I figured it out. It was indeed the ebrake (parking brake). Probably my mechanic tighten it enough for the shoes to remain stuck on the drum. I loosen it a little bit and everything is ok again. There is still a slight noise but I am 99% it comes from the winter tires. However, the vibration has gone. I can use my rear mirror again now .

Quick question for you guys. Are the axles interchangeable? I know they have different codes but I've looked at them and both have the same length, size, weight etc.
Appreciate 0